Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Benefits of HW3 v. HW2.5 besides FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that the FSD subscription is available, it allows an avenue for those of us with HW2.5 to upgrade to HW3.

For everyday, non FSD, driving - what are the benefits? I assume additional visualizations? (ie. stop lights, signs, etc). Yes? Is there anything else?

I have a 2018 M3 LR AWD with EAP and HW 2.5. It is now possible for me to pay $1500 to upgrade to HW 3.0 without purchasing FSD. So I can keep EAP and have HW 3.0.

My question is, aside from the ability to subscribe to FSD if I like, is there any other benefit to upgrading? Do any of my current EAP features work better (AP, summon, etc…), or are there any additional benefits to running HW 3.0 under the same EAP feature set?

thanks!

I’m fortunate to have HW3, so I have no idea of the difference. But if I was on HW2.5, I’d be curious if an upgrade to HW3 would reduce lagginess during normal interaction with the display. Having a laggy UI sucks and would be a reason to upgrade, IMO.

I’m fortunate to have HW3, so I have no idea of the difference. But if I was on HW2.5, I’d be curious if an upgrade to HW3 would reduce lagginess during normal interaction with the display. Having a laggy UI sucks and would be a reason to upgrade, IMO.
FSD computer doesn’t run the user interface, so I’d be shocked if there is any difference in responsiveness. I didn’t notice any difference after my 2.5>3 swap back in may 2020. Side note, after seeing the hardware upgrade cost I’m really glad I bit the bullet and paid 2k for the EAP to FSD upgrade back in 2019.

• Love
Reactions: KenC and jjrandorin
For me the upgrade cost from EAP to FSD was $3000. That was in August 2019.

@NJM3 likely got it during the "fire sale price reduction" right around april of 2019, when tesla was also including autopilot standard (and raising the price of the vehicles 2k to match).

Thats when I bought it ("it" = EAP to FSD upgrade) as I figured that 2k was a decent price for just the computer, so if I never got another feature it would be fine. Turns out I wasnt far off. That means I (and @NJM3 , and anyone else who bought FSD for 2k during that approximately 2-3 week time frame) actually paid $1500 for the computer swap, and $500 for "whatever FSD ends up becoming, over EAP".

Reactions: NJM3
I remember when FSD for EAP owners went on sale for $2k. I also remember saying I was going to wait, because by the time FSD became a reality, that $2k I invested, instead of buying FSD, would probably have doubled and covered the price increase of FSD.

Seeing as Tesla shares cost $44, post-split price, 2 yrs ago, and they now cost $644. I think it was a pretty fair trade-off. Even if you didn't put your $2k into Tesla shares, but something else, you probably still did alright.

I would hold off on paying for a HW3 upgrade. It’s possible Tesla will be forced to provide HW3 for free to FSD subscribers because of previous statements made about FSD hardware requirements (Tesla is charging owners $1,500 for hardware they already paid for).

You won’t get much benefit from HW3 especially without FSD, so there’s no rush.

Tesla could charge 1500 still and offer 6 months of fsd subscription included

In theory it should make the whiners (especially Fred) stfu but I am sure they will still find a way to complain.

Reactions: phantasms
Good to know that I'm not missing much with my HW2.5 car. However, I'm concerned that this is the death knell to any improvements to Enhanced Autopilot features on HW2.5 cars. That's where it gets tough for me, not necessarily the price to upgrade to be able to do FSD monthly, but the abandonment of EAP customers with HW2.5 before EAP is as functional as promised.

That's the inherent "problem" with Tesla's. The tech keeps advancing and pushed through constant software updates but the hardware has to be able to handle the new tech. No different with smartphones...a top of the line iPhone from 3 years ago is almost ancient tech now. IMO it's not really a problem though; it's just a marketing and customer expectation thing. The idea that your car from 3, 5, or 7 years ago could be "as good" as one that came out today is a baffling concept especially as cars continue to become more and more tech.

Good to know that I'm not missing much with my HW2.5 car. However, I'm concerned that this is the death knell to any improvements to Enhanced Autopilot features on HW2.5 cars. That's where it gets tough for me, not necessarily the price to upgrade to be able to do FSD monthly, but the abandonment of EAP customers with HW2.5 before EAP is as functional as promised.
I wouldn't count on any more improvements to EAP, doesn't make sense for them to invest in it. But look on the bright side, you didn't pay for FSD so when they come out the a 4680 version of the 3 with significantly more range and all of the other improvements, probably HW4 by then, you can upgrade without feeling like you've tossed away a $20K (or what ever price FSD will be by then) package away.

I think the biggest bright side is actually the $1500 upgrade cost. Seems unlikely that they will significantly raise the hardware upgrade prices (as compared to FSD software price) so then if Tesla holds firm on not offering HW3 for free then at least I have an upgrade path. Previously the only option was to go all the way to FSD.

Reactions: KenC