Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Benefits To Owning an S60?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im looking to purchase an S60. What do you feel the benefits over an ICE do I have? My payment will go up, but I'm looking forward to no fuel and minimal maintenance. I'll save roughly $50-100 a month in the monthly costs meaning no fuel, leaving me about the same in monthly costs as my current car (not including charging costs per month), a 2014 Lexus GS350 F-Sport. So, the fuel my ICE uses, the savings would basically be sucked up in the higher payment

I love the S60 and love the features. I'm concerned about long drives and charging if needed while on the road though.

Can anyone give me feedback and the pros to my possible purchase?

Reactions: callmesam
I have had an S60 for 4 years. Long drives are not an issue with the supercharger network, they are spaced fine for a 60. Also, since you need to stop almost every 3 hours, it can be quite relaxing. I imagine since you will get a newer one, autopilot will make it even more relaxing. Charging is very easy, range anxiety is non existent.

You will not regret the S60. I have an S60D. It is a good value compared to the larger batteries. (The $7k cost to unlock to the 75kWh is not worth it IMO). The technology is years ahead of anything else. The driving experience is better. Where it does not measure up to everything else is the build quality.
I recommend not comparing apples to apples monthly payment wise with comparable ICE cars. The reduction to your carbon footprint cannot be calculated in your monthly payment. I would never have spent the money I am spending on an ICE car that I spent on a Tesla. I even bought two Tesla at the same time.

Reactions: Gur814
@Singerjohn - Mo Val! I grew up not far from there. Anyway - you'll love your S60 and the range will be more than sufficient 99% of the time. The time you save on gas stations and maintenance will more than make up for the couple times you might spend a bit more time at superchargers. And every time you drive it you'll enjoy it. Smooth, smooth, smooth.

Even an S60 with no options is a super nice vehicle. With no options you’d be at $68k - $1k referral discount - $7.5k tax credit = $59.5k. Then you’re never buying gas again, never getting oil changes again, never buying brakes again, never worry about motor or battery failure for the 8 year / unlimited mile warranty period, etc. etc. etc. Also, keep in mind that the $1k referral discount and $7.5k tax credit are much more valuable on an S60 because they are a larger percentage of the vehicle’s cost. Therefore you should do extremely well in depreciation expense for an S60. If you keep it the full 8 years of the warranty and if you can sell for 25% residual ($14.8k) for example, then you just owned the most amazing vehicle on the road for only $466 per month. If you get more than 25% residual after 8 years, or if your state offers additional EV financial incentives then the numbers look even better for you.

One last benefit you can't put a price on is everywhere you go, you’ll be a celebrity. Absolutely no one will notice or even care that you have a base S 60. People will stop at crosswalks to take pictures of your car and people will want to talk with you about the car every day. It’s a unique experience that you just don’t get with any other car.

Best of luck to you.

Another S60 owner here. I have been completely fine with the 60 for both commuting and road trips. Range-wise its not an issue. I travel between LA and San Diego 1-2 times a week, and never an issue for me. I charge when I get down to my San Diego location. On the occasions I wasn't able to, there are a couple supercharger options along the route I've stopped into. But that is very rare. The other days in of the week I commute 92 miles round trip. I don't have any issues with range there either, and I typically only charge up to 70-80% daily for those commutes.

As far as owning a Tesla vs. an ICE. You need to account for the extra electricity you will use to charge up every day at home. But it is much less than the gas cost. Get on a time-of-use plan with your power company if you can. We save about $350 a month there (net between gas and electricity costs). And of course there is great benefit to always having a full "tank" of electrons when I drive off in the morning :)

Take the plunge - you will not regret it.

I've put 9k miles on my S60 in 3 months, driving all over Northern California.

I've had exactly one trip where I thought "heh, might be nice to have a 75 right about now" when I coasted in to my destination with 2% battery remaining. And that was because I deliberately skipped the Supercharger to see if I could make it home. Had I stopped and topped up for 10 minutes, it would have been a complete non-issue.

Love the car. No regrets. Most expensive car I've owned by a long shot and wouldn't dream of spending this much money on an ICE.

I've put 9k miles on my S60 in 3 months, driving all over Northern California.

I've had exactly one trip where I thought "heh, might be nice to have a 75 right about now" when I coasted in to my destination with 2% battery remaining. And that was because I deliberately skipped the Supercharger to see if I could make it home. Had I stopped and topped up for 10 minutes, it would have been a complete non-issue.

Love the car. No regrets. Most expensive car I've owned by a long shot and wouldn't dream of spending this much money on an ICE.

If you go to Tahoe, be careful ;) The elevation absolutely shatters your range. We lost about 50% on an S85 loaner due to elevation gain there so I'd be a little worried with my S60. I'd still try it though :D

Switched from a BMW ICE to S75D 4months ago. Not a single day goes buy when I don't feel the need to drive the MS :).

Call your insurance agent and get a quote for the MS vs. your current car. If you are doing the XLS/Math on payments/costs, insurance could be another component that you shouldn't ignore.

Switched from a BMW ICE to S75D 4months ago. Not a single day goes buy when I don't feel the need to drive the MS :).

Call your insurance agent and get a quote for the MS vs. your current car. If you are doing the XLS/Math on payments/costs, insurance could be another component that you shouldn't ignore.
My insurance is going to stay about the same from what I checked. I'll need to change insurance companies to go lower.

Thank you everyone! More feed back is appreciated as I enjoy hearing the positives and it gets me excited to buy! I have my deposit in and am set for build to start on 3/12/17.

My chosen options are a sunroof and AP2.

What do you think?

Like my sunroof but haven't used it too much. I might go with the solid glass roof if I had the option. AP2 is getting better. Full self driving is way out, I wouldn't pay for it either. I like the premium package but not a must. Also, heated steering wheel was amazing in the winter even in the bay area on a loaner. I would get that...

Like my sunroof but haven't used it too much. I might go with the solid glass roof if I had the option. AP2 is getting better. Full self driving is way out, I wouldn't pay for it either. I like the premium package but not a must. Also, heated steering wheel was amazing in the winter even in the bay area on a loaner. I would get that...

note, if you get all glass roof you lose satellite radio...not a worry for me, just fyi

Reactions: gabeincal