Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bent door! SoCal body shop??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all. I was reversing out of driveway and son still had passenger door open and BAM bottom of door is bent back!!

Door still closed fine so that’s great, but anyone know a good body shop in the South Bay of LA County??

thx

Attachments

• 37B403CF-5674-4908-9635-F35ED0AF61C8.jpeg
    37B403CF-5674-4908-9635-F35ED0AF61C8.jpeg
    251.5 KB · Views: 156
  • F0617521-3B7F-4A11-8205-E5C2ED058AD1.jpeg
    F0617521-3B7F-4A11-8205-E5C2ED058AD1.jpeg
    213.1 KB · Views: 102
  • CB061574-55D6-4BBA-995C-AFB7549E73C1.jpeg
    CB061574-55D6-4BBA-995C-AFB7549E73C1.jpeg
    262.7 KB · Views: 125
Yikes! That's a really unfortunate damage.

A door skin is a piece of sheetmetal that folds over the inner structure/frame of the door. The first picture you posted shows the door skin glued/folded over the door frame.

With that said, the damage not only deformed the door skin but the inner frame as well. The body shop can try to reshape the door but it won't look right. Plus they'll have to apply a ton of bondo/body filler on the outside to make the surface smooth again after pulling the edge back and sanding the area. Like others have said, since the door skin is aluminum and can warp very easily with heat, metal-working the outside is very challenging.

Your best bet would be to buy a new door if you want it to look perfect. Even then, you will have to deal with the bodyshop matching the paint exactly. Perhaps you can try to find a door on eBay from a salvaged vehicle with the same PW paint? I would venture to guess that would match your paint better than any bodyshop.

Either case, it won't be cheap. Hopefully your comprehensive coverage has a low deductible. Good luck!

Thanks so much. Everything said is correct. Two body shops said they would have to replace entire door and repaint entire side of car. Estimates coming in > $3000!

So prob an insurance claim. Not sure how much my rates will go up. It happened in driveway but son was in the car. Will they ding me for that too?

Only cheaper option would be to go to non certified shop to try and bend it back and fill/bond. Anyone have experience with doing that? Thx!

And so cal referral?

Thanks so much. Everything said is correct. Two body shops said they would have to replace entire door and repaint entire side of car. Estimates coming in > $3000!

So prob an insurance claim. Not sure how much my rates will go up. It happened in driveway but son was in the car. Will they ding me for that too?

Only cheaper option would be to go to non certified shop to try and bend it back and fill/bond. Anyone have experience with doing that? Thx!

And so cal referral?
I don't think the rate will go up by much since this does not involve another party and there were no injuries. This may also be covered with your home owner's insurance depending on the type of coverage you have.

If you are in the OC area of SoCal, I would highly recommend Signature Autobody. The owner, Lawrence, is as particular about workmanship as they come. He will give you an honest/fair/in-your-best-interest option.

Reactions: Bacalao
I don't think the rate will go up by much since this does not involve another party and there were no injuries. This may also be covered with your home owner's insurance depending on the type of coverage you have.

If you are in the OC area of SoCal, I would highly recommend Signature Autobody. The owner, Lawrence, is as particular about workmanship as they come. He will give you an honest/fair/in-your-best-interest option.
Thanks. That’s helpful. I’m actually in the South Bay so will likely go with Jim and Jack’s auto body

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Thanks for the numbers on door replacement and repaint. I'll have to do something similar on my 3 a few years from now once I finally finish paying it off.

I can't use insurance, so I'll just have to pay for the door replacement out of pocket.

Thanks. That’s helpful. I’m actually in the South Bay so will likely go with Jim and Jack’s auto body
Jim & Jack’s did a great job in fixing all the panel misalignments on my car. Tesla sent the car to them.

Reactions: fredjan