Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bent pin on my Blink Charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cdub

OG 2011 Leaf / 2023 Model Y LR
Oct 7, 2014
Glendale, CA
As I patiently wait for my Model 3 invite to config so I can upgrade from my original 2011 Nissan Leaf, the Blink charger that came with the car (aka the Spawn of Satan... charger NOT the car) seems to have developed another issue besides just deciding that it doesn't want to work sometimes.

I tried to plug it into my Leaf last night and it wouldn't go in. On further inspection it appears that one of the plugs has the metal part bent a little bit:

IMG_20170716_093406.jpg

Thankfully the Level 1 portable charger that comes with the car works just fine and I was able to plug that in and charge. My commute is only 35-40 miles so I should be able to limp towards my Model 3. There's no way I'm buying a new charger and I plan to buy the Tesla wall unit.

But is it possible for me to fix it? Can I bend it back with a chopstick or something? I'd worry about damaging my car with it though... so I'm probably just going to suck it up and stick with Level 1 charger until my Model 3 comes.

The Blink (Spawn of Satan) plugs into a 6-50R plug so I guess I could get an EVSE that works with that but I don't want to put any money into an EVSE that I'll just use for 2-4 months.

IMG_20170716_094302.jpg

My 2011 Leaf with the Spawn of Satan in the background.

That thing hanging on the wall that you call the "Spawn of Satan" isn't a charger. It's known as an EVSE. It's basically an intelligent extension cord with GFCI.

The Charger is in the car (depending on the car it's under the hood (old leafs, Teslas), under the back seat (new leafs), or wherever the car manufacturer wants to squeeze it in.

I'm sure someone familiar with making EVSEs can step in with advice or replace the connector for a price if that is needed.

calling @Ingineer @TonyWilliams for advice.

• Informative
Reactions: cdub
That thing hanging on the wall that you call the "Spawn of Satan" isn't a charger. It's known as an EVSE. It's basically an intelligent extension cord with GFCI.

The Charger is in the car (depending on the car it's under the hood (old leafs, Teslas), under the back seat (new leafs), or wherever the car manufacturer wants to squeeze it in.

I'm sure someone familiar with making EVSEs can step in with advice or replace the connector for a price if that is needed.

calling @Ingineer @TonyWilliams for advice.

Oy. Fine EVSE. It's what you plug in to charge the car. Most people are going to call it a charger as it is a lot easier than saying EVSE.

I know the actual 3.3 "charger" is in the car and the Spawn of Satan is an over engineered wifi controlled piece of crap. Sigh... But hey it was free.

Oy. Fine EVSE. It's what you plug in to charge the car. Most people are going to call it a charger as it is a lot easier than saying EVSE.

I know the actual 3.3 "charger" is in the car and the Spawn of Satan is an over engineered wifi controlled piece of crap. Sigh... But hey it was free.

"Charging station" or "charging device" aren't official nomenclature but usually avoid the "it isn't a charger" response. Add the adjectives of your choice like "Charging device from hell" or some such.

I was hoping one of the engineering types would respond after I tagged them to get you an answer on bending the pin back or replacing the end of the cable. My thought is that you could do so but if it is loose it might keep having to be pushed back day after day and not be worth the hassle.

If you feel like replacing the pins yourself SAE J1772 Plug - 50 Amp Pin Set Only has a set for $50 or so. A replacement end for about $100 SAE J1772 Plug - 50 Amp rating but it requires soldering or crimping.

If that is outside your expertise consider contacting someone like Contact Us : EVSE Upgrade, Low-Cost EV Charging Solutions (web form, or call them) and see what they say about it, how much they'd charge to replace the end.

Or check around on craigslist or any sort of local forum (facebook, reddit, whatever) for your area and see if anyone makes openEVSEs. If so they would have the skill set to repair/improve your EVSE aka charging device from hell.

Seems like since you are in California it shouldn't be impossible to meet up with or drive to someone that can fix it.

edit: you might also want to read through Mods for the Blink EVSE ! (was Fix) - My Nissan Leaf Forum

and WE-30CIRE Residential Service Manual.pdf which is the full service manual for the device (assuming that is the one you have).

Last edited:
  • Informative
"Charging station" or "charging device" aren't official nomenclature but usually avoid the "it isn't a charger" response. Add the adjectives of your choice like "Charging device from hell" or some such.

I was hoping one of the engineering types would respond after I tagged them to get you an answer on bending the pin back or replacing the end of the cable. My thought is that you could do so but if it is loose it might keep having to be pushed back day after day and not be worth the hassle.

If you feel like replacing the pins yourself SAE J1772 Plug - 50 Amp Pin Set Only has a set for $50 or so. A replacement end for about $100 SAE J1772 Plug - 50 Amp rating but it requires soldering or crimping.

If that is outside your expertise consider contacting someone like Contact Us : EVSE Upgrade, Low-Cost EV Charging Solutions (web form, or call them) and see what they say about it, how much they'd charge to replace the end.

Or check around on craigslist or any sort of local forum (facebook, reddit, whatever) for your area and see if anyone makes openEVSEs. If so they would have the skill set to repair/improve your EVSE aka charging device from hell.

Seems like since you are in California it shouldn't be impossible to meet up with or drive to someone that can fix it.

edit: you might also want to read through Mods for the Blink EVSE ! (was Fix) - My Nissan Leaf Forum

and WE-30CIRE Residential Service Manual.pdf which is the full service manual for the device (assuming that is the one you have).

Wow going through those posts on mynissanleaf.com brings up a ton of memories. EV Project and Ecotality... I had forgotten those were who supplied the charger. 6 years I've owned this car... probably signed up on that website a year or so before the car came out too. :)

I contacted the EVSE upgrade people. Thanks for the suggestion. Maybe they can help. Are those the same people that converted the Level 1 charger that came with the car to a Level 2 capable one?

I also might contact an electrician too... I'll need someone to install the Tesla wall unit when it's time.

It's just a sleeve type connector in that socket, so yes, it should be no trouble to bend that back outward so it does not stop the pin part from entering that hole.

Yeah, I feel ya. It's awesome :rolleyes: when people just want to pedantically talk down to you rather than addressing the actual question you're asking about. I mean the word "charger" is two syllables, while even the short form acronym EVSE is FOUR syllables! When it's not a question related to the technical names of the equipment, just let it go. Do they also feel the need to correct people if someone says they need to get some shoes on and the return with sandals or say they need to get a pen and come back with a pencil?

I'm sure you've read the threads about the issue with the crimped pins on the Rema J1772 cables causing overheating/melting issues on the MyNissanLeaf forums, so personally I'd be very reluctant to try to bend it back into position. If it causes a point connection it could easily overheat or spark there.

If I were you (and I'm close, as I too have a 2011 LEAF, a Blink EVSE and a Model 3 reservation), I'd probably stick with the LEAF's Level 1 charger if you can handle the long recharge times (you can always go to the Quick Charger at the LA Zoo parking lot if you need to charge quickly!).

I'm probably going to either solder the cables to the pins in the Rema J1772 handle or buy a new J1772 cable for a 40A unit from OpenEVSE.com, since I'm planning to keep my LEAF after the Model 3 arrives. I'll be charging both from the Blink, using the Tesla J1772 adapter when charging the Model 3.

P.S. Lucky guy - I was about the 250th in line at the Burbank Tesla location on 03/31/16 - got in about 2:30 in the afternoon... :(

If I were you (and I'm close, as I too have a 2011 LEAF, a Blink EVSE and a Model 3 reservation), I'd probably stick with the LEAF's Level 1 charger if you can handle the long recharge times (you can always go to the Quick Charger at the LA Zoo parking lot if you need to charge quickly!).

There's a quick charger at the zoo? I didn't know that. Charging via 110 seems to be working fine so far but I'm thinking of doing the EVSE upgrade and making the portable charger be able to charge at 220. I'm still hesitant on putting more money into a car I'll not be using too much longer... but I think relying on 110 is certainly different than what I'm used to although it is working fine with my commute so far... However it certainly doesn't give me a lot of flexibility beyond that so I'm thinking of doing the upgrade and sucking it up.

Bending the pin back seems like a bad idea to me.

P.S. Lucky guy - I was about the 250th in line at the Burbank Tesla location on 03/31/16 - got in about 2:30 in the afternoon... :(

Camped out overnight a nut. Actually was pretty fun... :)

My recommendation would be to buy a Clipper Creek HCS-40 with a Nema 6-50 plug, and swap it out for the Blink. It will plug into the same receptacle, charge at 32 amps, and will be reliable for years to come...Made in USA with a 3 year warranty....Proven track record...Good value for the price.