Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bent Rim Investigation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2017 Model S that developed a vibration at about 80mph. I suspect I have a bent rim at the rear but can't be sure. I was hoping to jack up one of the wheels, put the car in neutral and rotate the wheel manually to see if it's bent that way. Will the wheel turn in this scenario, will differential allow it? Anything obvious I'm missing?

Thanks

I took my car to Discount Tires for rotation and balancing. The told me one of my wheels was out of round when they placed it on the balancing machine. If it's due - might be worth taking the car in for rotation and balancing and ask them too look for any bent wheels.

I have vibration at 72 74, I changed all wheels/tires. Still had it.
I changed front hubs, rotors, pads, still have it. , oh left hub was bad, leaking oil.
Next I will change both rear axles. See if i have bad CV joint.
Yes, it might be a bad CV joint.
To test it on the front, the vibration should change when turning the wheels.
On the back, taking a sharp curve will tell you what side is bad.
Also lifting the car, put in Neutral or Towing mode, and feel if there is any shaking when turning by hand.

I was in the wheel repair business for 10 years before I sold it and retired. Low profile tires allow the inside of the rim to more easily bend when encountering road hazards like pot holes. Less rubber between the tire and wheel means bends are more likley. Usually bends are on the inside because there is no support.

With the proper equipment, technique and training, most inside bands are repairable...I've personally successfully repaired thousands. Much cheaper than a new wheel.

Inside bends are very easy to see by spinning the wheel. I'd say jack the car up, put it in tow mode, and have someone spin the wheel while you look on the inside. Taking the wheel off of the car and spinning it up on a wheel balancer also works.

Google "wheel repair near me" . My shop was a franchise that has locations all over the USA...Kwicksilver Wheel Repair. Make sure they heat up the wheel during the repair process, otherwise the wheel will probably crack. Fortunately, cracks can also be repaired, again I've successfully welded on thousands of wheels.

I ended up confirming the bend by driving in the car park with another person filing from the vehicle. It could be seen how the wheel was not rotating straight.
Its bent off centre, not the usual buckling. Some repairers locally quoted at least £80, probably be more, and even then nobody could really give any guarantees. I ended up getting another wheel.

Your wheel has a lateral bend. By that I mean ie wobbles from side to side. These as are normally a result of sliding into an obstacle like a curb.

I was in the wheel repair business for 10 years. Usually lateral bends like yours are not repairable. Time for a new rim.

If the wheel hopped up and down (usually on the back side), it would be a radial bend which are usually repairable.

I ended up confirming the bend by driving in the car park with another person filing from the vehicle. It could be seen how the wheel was not rotating straight.
Its bent off centre, not the usual buckling. Some repairers locally quoted at least £80, probably be more, and even then nobody could really give any guarantees. I ended up getting another wheel.

Thats BAD. Hopefully its only the rim/wheel and not any suspension components