Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Berkeley Service Center?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it's close as it's under construction. It's off of Gilman at the old Pyramid Brewery location.

Can't give details about the site, but I dealt with a construction field issue a few weeks ago. My guess would be spring/summer of next year.

I just spoke to Dublin and they suggested that Berkeley may be better for me in Alameda, but said that they were already getting swamped with customers and won't even be open for another 30 days or more.

The old Pyramid Brewery was 901 Gilman St. that's only 2 minutes from 1501 Eastshore Hwy, the old Solar City facility that Tesla now dispatch the 'Rangers' out of. (that's bad English, come on Grammarly). I wonder if they will get combined.

-Randy

Last edited:
The doors are open and there are cars but no employees. WiFi is already working. Quite the home for people living in RVs.

3C1DB675-AC48-4793-85D7-D1D1E8DAABD8.jpeg
41E42BE0-48AE-4837-9B3D-58CE94FA401B.jpeg

664ECDDE-2837-4680-919F-D054892203CB.jpeg

A16E97DD-D098-4D94-B85D-71295C539091.jpeg

-Randy

Was on the phone with a Tesla tech tonight (see Alameda Supercharger thread) and he mentioned that the new Berkeley Service Center is actually open as of the 18th of December, but they are ramping up, still cannot schedule service thru the phone people. I may go by tomorrow and ask about my mirror issue.
Image 12-20-18 at 11.20 AM.jpg

I also applied to work there. More exciting than retirement.

-Randy

I popped in today and chatted briefly with one of the two folks who appeared to be around. She reported that Tesla is in the final stages of getting all the Berkeley permits in order, and that the Berkeley Service Center should be open for business in about three weeks or so. I forgot to ask if there will be an urban supercharger facility in association with the Service Center, which could be handy for out-of-town trips that come up with short notice (I otherwise charge at home). Good luck with the job app, Randy.

Wow! Did you really have an Aptera? Thanks for the well wishes.

I don't believe there will be any public chargers. I think this is going to be like the San Rafael SvC where you pull up and park and talk to the greeters who if you need it will get you the tech to examine your car or drive it and then set up your service. If they are still doing it your car will get a free and full charge during the service appt. using one of their service chargers which do show in your display but with no cost. They will also likely have a few destination chargers but will not want the public using them either. The Supercharger map shows Richmond and Emeryville will be your options.

At the Dublin SvC they also have a Tesla store AND a SpC site all in one. I am not sure they like that setup. I am sure they have people asking sales questions of the techs and vice-versa. Though that always was Apple's strategy to bring shoppers and owners together to let word of mouth help advertising their products.

-Randy

I don't believe anyone ever owned an Aptera -- but I was an early depositor for one (which was really just a pat on the back to encourage its developers, who really were aggressively creative in re-thinking the automobile). I use it as an avatar here just to make the point that we can and should continue to innovate and surpass what our Teslas can do. To Aptera's credit, all depositors got back their deposits in full (but without any interest or other appreciation) when they wound down the company in 2011. I would not have purchased one without considering its crash-worthiness and other safety issues (how would it handle wind on bridges, etc.). I believe that a Chinese company owns rights to the design, so we could still see them on the road one day, I suppose.

I'm eager to see the new Service Center open, as it is an easy walk from home. The folks in San Rafael have been terrific, but the new facility will be much more convenient. Emeryville and Richmond will do nicely for occasions when I need a SuperCharger.

Still not available on the My Acct/Manage button on their website. I have been unable to use the iPhone app to schedule a service appt. I just get the spinning pointer forever. Think I'll drive by tomorrow in the AM and see if they'll look at my car.

-Randy

Last edited:
I dropped by the day before yesterday, and Lisa (the manager) noted that they are still on course to deal with a few customers next week, gradually building up their customer base. One of their new techs. graciously came out and answered a question I had. I am hoping to get the installation of my recently ordered "Enhanced Anti-Theft" option transferred from San Rafael to Berkeley. Randy: if you are still interested in possibly working there, this might be a good time to pop by, as I had the impression that they are still recruiting staff.

Mine too, but the first available appointment was the 12th! Ah well, I scheduled for that day at least. Imagine they won't have loaner cars as this center is VERY small. Perhaps Enterprise picks you up, as they say

-Randy

Dang, I should have requested one. I have yet to get an X. You probably still have it. I just dropped off my car for service this morning. They gave me an F-Type, but they mostly just have the Mercedeseseses. Hmmm. What's the plural of Mercedes?

They did have that cool Kettleman City display on the wall:

fullsizeoutput_2a5a.jpeg

-Randy

Reactions: mociaf9
Yeah apparently Enterprise has purchased a bunch of MS 75's and those are what are available for rent, but if you have an MX and don't want to be downgraded to MS they have a few Model X for you guys.

My favorite part of the rental Jaguar was that the passenger door would not open from the inside. My trapped wife required me to exit the vehicle and come around with the key to open her door, appropriate timing for Valentine's Day. We both kept thinking it was just us not knowing the car.

-Randy