Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Besides beautiful, fast, cool, longer range, AP and SCN, what else is convincing you to get a 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like that:
the exterior design is nice enough,
it has one of the highest driving ranges
it has auto emergency braking as standard
there is the availability of TACC

but the EAP/AP (costs and current feature set) and the SCN (it's not free for me anyway and I anticipate lengthy line ups) are not what's attracting to me to a 3.

Once can talk about being green and environmentally by going fully electric but there are other things once can do to protect the environment and make the world a better place - recycle properly, minimize waste, work hard, respect people, etc.

Reactions: EchoDelta
The Model 3 will be a step down for me in styling, acceleration, and overall fun factor. (My present car is a Tesla Roadster.) It will be a step up in safety and driving comfort. It will have greater range, but I don't really need the range, so that's neither here nor there.

The increased safety is THE reason I'll be switching.

I don't have parking to keep both cars. The Roadster will have to go when I get the Model 3. I cannot see buying a gasoline car. I hate gasoline. I hate the stuff itself, the noise a gas engine makes, the pollution and climate degradation it causes, and the political implications.

Reactions: gavine
Jan 2017 I was 100% sure that I´d get a model 3, September/August 2017 I cancelled my pre-order since the classic premium manufacturers will probably have very similar or maybe even better vehicles to chose from by the time the model 3 will actually become available where I live and Tesla has basically lost any advantage they ever had with the AP by now.

What originally had me interested was mainly the AP and the idea of a premium long range EV that`s not the size and price of a small yacht :D

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit
OP: how many threads are you going to start asking why other people are choosing the Model 3 ?

Sorry to say, you sound like THE person to suffer buyer's remorse.

So bite me. :)

Not really, that's why I am asking people way before my expected configuration date what else they like and dislike about the 3 as it may draw me closer or farther from that buy decision. I want to be as informed as possible.

What do you want to talk about here, the weather? With the NDA in force, we can only talk about our likes and dislikes and speculations (which I don't really care much about).

Last edited:
Anyone who has driven a Tesla for a year or two understands why the Model 3 will be a far better choice vs competition.

The supercharger network. In Ontario Canada where OP and I live, there will be hundreds of third party DC chargers within the next year, these non-Tesla charging stations are poorly maintained and a pain to operate.

The software updates.

Lack of dealership. Forget the B.S dealership experience, Tesla gets service and support right in my experience.

OP, don't drive a Tesla, then you won't know what you're missing
when you get a Leaf or Bolt.
Sometimes blissful ignorance can be a blessing.

^ Sure, sure, sure. Service center experience once they are inundated with recalls and repairs 3-5x the current numbers once the 3 starts coming in. Hopefully there will still be free rental cars and gas money during those times.

SCN which I said I really don't care about. Those will be quite busy in 2019 too.

I am not even a technical person but since the past few years, come into a dealership for servicing armed with information so I skip the service items I can do myself and save significantly.

All these things could change for the worse but hopefully doesn't.

Lack of dealership. Forget the B.S dealership experience, Tesla gets service and support right in my experience.

Oh, I don't know about that. Every Lexus dealer I've been in has treated me well. Even the Honda dealers I've dealt with lately have been pretty good. And when our cars were damaged, it was no big deal getting parts or repairs. That's honestly what scares me the most about Tesla. People go for months without their cars because Tesla doesn't have the parts needed for repairs.

Otherwise, the lower running costs, over the air updates, and Supercharger network are why Tesla is the only electric car choice for me. The first two are a big reason for going EV over ICE, although I actually think there are plenty of reasons to still go ICE over EV (interior design and entertainment options being two major ones). Still, the #1 reason I'm thinking Model 3 EV is the safety of the vehicle. Because of the design allowed by an EV, the structure is so much safer and the main reason I'm willing to sell a still perfectly great condition ICE vehicle and upgrade. The safety counteracts price premium I'm paying and the hassle of having to plan my trips more carefully. It's pretty much the trump card for me to go Tesla EV. That video of the side impact crash of the M3 vs the Volvo... beautiful. But I'm weird in that while I'm not that scared about dying in general, my biggest fear in life is that a drunk driver will kill me or my family.

• Informative
I've had mixed experiences with dealerships. I've had very good ones and terrible ones. But I don't like the hard sell on dealer add-ons, and I don't like the haggling. When I bought my Roadster, the salesguy told me about some stuff that was available, and when I told him why I didn't think I needed it, he agreed with me. No pushing.

The SC network in its present form does nothing for me, because it's on the major highways, and I only drive if I cannot fly. Which means that my one long road trip each year is on secondary roads, where there are no superchargers, and probably won't be for many years to come.

But I see no competition to Tesla as yet. The Leaf is a fine car, I'm sure, and I'm sure I'd love it if I had one, but it's no match for Tesla. I don't trust GM as far as I could throw one of their cars. I don't trust their commitment to their customers and I don't trust them to put quality above profit. Everything else is either vaporware or .

And finally, and maybe most importantly, I want to support a company that has a commitment to clean energy. Tesla is the only company making electric cars for whom those cars are not a minuscule side-line. So for me it's a no-brainer: Tesla is the only choice.

Reactions: SageBrush
This is the question I always ask myself when I consider purchasing a car: exactly what is it about the car that I really need/want? When it comes to the Tesla Model 3, here is my list, not necessarily in order of importance:
  1. Safety: based on what we know so far, it appears it will be the safest car in it's class/price range for a number of different reasons (as several of the above posts point out).
  2. Federal Tax Incentive and other state incentives: For me this justifies buying a NEW Model 3 instead of waiting a couple of years to buy a used one. And when the incentives go away it provides an element of price protection from excessive depreciation e.g. if the price of a new Model 3 drops over the next several years due to competition from other car makers, newer technology, and/or cheaper costs to produce the car (like cheaper batteries), it would have to drop by at least $7,500 to make up for the lost federal incentive, thus helping to shore up early Model 3 used car prices in the future.
  3. The Tesla driving experience: In my opinion Tesla has maximized all the inherent advantages of an electric car over an ICE far better than anyone else, e.g. better handling/lower center of gravity, quieter, simpler (less moving parts), etc, etc. This is something that I WANT to own and drive.
  4. Exterior styling: though I have yet to see one in person, every picture/video I have seen so far leads me to say that I LOVE the look.
  5. I want it because I think it will be a GREAT car: I think it will be the overall BEST car in it's price range, period. Maybe not best in every single way, but best overall for sure. Not because of the environment, not because it's electric, but simply because it will be a great car that looks fantastic, fits my family and budget, and I think I will enjoy it more than any other car available in my price range.

• Informative
Service center experience once they are inundated with recalls and repairs 3-5x the current numbers once the 3 starts coming in. SCN which I said I really don't care about. Those will be quite busy in 2019 too. I skip the service items I can do myself and save significantly.

Your frantic flailing around for reasons not to buy a Tesla are met by the easiest answer : DONT

1. Tesla has already added another service center in Ontario (where you and I live). For the two times I've needed an emergency appointment, I _always_ got in the next day and got a loaner.

2. If you don't need to supercharge, why buy a Tesla? Get a Leaf and charge at home. Tesla is rapidly expanding the network, and Tesla's can charge at all of the DC fast chargers being rolled out with assistance ($) by the Ontario government too.

3. There are almost no user - serviceable items in an EV. I've spent $3 on a rear tail light bulb on my Smart ED. Our Tesla requires a yearly service like any premium car, about $400 on average, just factor that into the cost, do not avoid it, or believe you don't need it, just do it.

Really, if you are happy with a 2018 Leaf after a test drive, get one.

Tesla is a premium brand, and the cost is going to be $10K (Canadian) more than the Leaf on the road. Either pay it, or don't, but you aren't fooling anyone here, we know you aren't actually serious about getting a Tesla.

Tesla is more car than you need, and that's fine, especially if you don't intend to drive it on roadtrips, as you claim to not need to supercharge.

Again, don't buy one. Get a Leaf. Your concerns about warranty, service, supercharging, quality and every other of the dozens of concerns you continue to raise and ask for opinion about are almost certainly going to come true, because you believe they will. So just relax. Put down your deposit at Nissan and pick up a Leaf in 6 months.

Your frantic flailing around for reasons not to buy a Tesla are met by the easiest answer : DONT

1. Tesla has already added another service center in Ontario (where you and I live). For the two times I've needed an emergency appointment, I _always_ got in the next day and got a loaner.

2. If you don't need to supercharge, why buy a Tesla? Get a Leaf and charge at home. Tesla is rapidly expanding the network, and Tesla's can charge at all of the DC fast chargers being rolled out with assistance ($) by the Ontario government too.

3. There are almost no user - serviceable items in an EV. I've spent $3 on a rear tail light bulb on my Smart ED. Our Tesla requires a yearly service like any premium car, about $400 on average, just factor that into the cost, do not avoid it, or believe you don't need it, just do it.

Really, if you are happy with a 2018 Leaf after a test drive, get one.

Tesla is a premium brand, and the cost is going to be $10K (Canadian) more than the Leaf on the road. Either pay it, or don't, but you aren't fooling anyone here, we know you aren't actually serious about getting a Tesla.

Tesla is more car than you need, and that's fine, especially if you don't intend to drive it on roadtrips, as you claim to not need to supercharge.

Again, don't buy one. Get a Leaf. Your concerns about warranty, service, supercharging, quality and every other of the dozens of concerns you continue to raise and ask for opinion about are almost certainly going to come true, because you believe they will. So just relax. Put down your deposit at Nissan and pick up a Leaf in 6 months.

Look mind your own business. Just because you bought a CPO Tesla doesn't mean you can read minds. If Tesla had astounding reliability history, count 99% of us on the Model 3 TMC forums in. I wouldn't hesitate at all. I don't know how much you invested in TSLA stocks but don't be over cocky with your investment prowess.

I don't even know why you keep harping about the good experience you get at the service center when people who are going to get a Model 3 and don't have a Tesla yet know that there will be a significant increase in volume of cars to be serviced. I don't know from what world you come from but even the slightest knowledge of operations management will tell you service quality cannot be maintained by doubling the amount of service centers yet quarupling the number of cars.

If you think that other components of a BEV need not be looked at, you are kidding yourself. Just because you only replaced the bulb on your smart EV, doesn't mean your car is in tip top shape. I hope you due a better argument at your workplace because the logic/rationale you just provided clearly sucked big time.

Even my friend who got a Tesla way before you did can feel the difference in service quality and that's just from 2014 to 2017.

Last edited:
... If you don't need to supercharge, why buy a Tesla? ...

Because it will be a better car, from a company committed to electric transportation, not just building a few to placate the tree-huggers, and will deliver a better driving experience.

Of course, Tesla cannot meet the demand for electric cars on its own, so it's fine that some people will prefer other choices. Tesla gave away its patents because Elon Musk knows that the more companies there are building electric cars, the better for everybody. And he knows that Tesla will sell all the cars it can build for quite some time. The real competition is not Tesla vs. other EV makers; it's EVs vs. gas cars.

There are more economical EVs than the Tesla Model 3, and for some people that will be the better choice. Nissan is a known player in the car market, with an established network of dealerships and service centers. Not everybody needs or can afford the best, and if 100 miles of range is adequate and you need to be frugal, by all means buy a Nissan or one of the others.

I don't ever expect to use a supercharger (unless one comes to Castlegar or Nelson, B.C.,, and another in Cranbrook, B.C. allowing me to drive my Tesla up to my summer hiking in Canada (some seasons I drive up one way and down the other)) but I still wouldn't consider any of the EVs presently available other than the Tesla Model 3. It's just a better car.

(What I'd really like to see is a 500-mile range. But that will take significant advances in batteries, both for cost and weight, and I don't expect that to happen quickly.)

(What I'd really like to see is a 500-mile range. But that will take significant advances in batteries, both for cost and weight, and I don't expect that to happen quickly.)

Yeah, I want that too, but I don't expect to see that in a relatively affordable car until I'm about ready to get rid of the Model 3. I hope there's a lot more competition too. I like the idea of autonomous cars. I just don't want my car to be designed primarily for car sharing. More choices is always good.