Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Besides SCN, what features (or lack of in 3 ) would make u jump ship from a 3 to a competing brand?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The SCN isn't important to me. I am getting a BEV for my 180 mile daily commute. For me to consider another brand they would have to make a car that isn't ugly, have a range that can go 200 miles under my normal driving conditions (80mph AC on full) and either RWD or AWD I hate FWD. I would also have to trust they know what they are doing for the BMS with the amount of charge/discharge cycles I will be going through I want to know the battery will last.

Now if it has FSD it can be an ugly FWD ICE and I would switch if I can afford it and I would stretch my budget to afford a car with FSD.

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit
I was so bummed when I learned that the 3 wasn't going to be a hatchback that I ran out and bought a CPO Model S. I still have a Model 3 reservation too. LOL So, mission accomplished Tesla! On a serious note, I really could use what I believe the Y will be. Or the Pickup. Or actually, if I could get my hands on a Bollinger B1 before a Tesla Pickup, it would compliment a Tesla and suit our needs perfectly. SCN be damned for that rig.

Saying 'besides the SC network' is like saying 'besides the battery..'

Nope, Superchargers are not going to be a significant factor for me. My usual daily driving won't need superchargers, and on road trips there are more existing Non-Tesla charger sites than supercharger sites (including all the released info on planned Supercharger sites). I'd just have to factor in that I may occasionally have to wait for a leaf driver to charge first if I was to get a non-Tesla EV. Inconvenient, yes, deal-breaker, no.

An attractive wagon. I know for some of my fellow Americans that's an oxymoron, but I think it can be done. The new Opel Insignia / Buick Regal hits the mark for me.

rrjyemkp3wmhzishvppn.jpg

Take that and put in the Model 3 dual motor powertrain + SCN, you'd have an incredibly functional all electric ~280 mile range AWD wagon with tons of cargo capacity that can do 0-60 in the low 5's. In other words, my dream car.

Availability actually.
When I reserved my Model 3 on April 1 2016 the MyTesla page stated delivery in early 2018. Half a year later it just said 2018. By now it says late 2018. If it gets pushed back into 2019, I will cancel my reservation and get an e-Golf instead. And after three or four years with that I will take another look at whatever competition there will be by then.
If Tesla manages to get me my Model 3 before 2018 is out, I will keep my reservation. Simple as that. I have quite a bit of patience, but it isn't endless. And knowing that Americans who reserve now will get their car before me who reserved on day 1 makes me really angry.

If I had a M3 and a competitor offered the following, I’d consider switching:
1. Powered trunk
2. Instrument cluster
3. Better steering wheel design, or even overall interior
4. If build quality was poor on the M3, then I could see myself switching
5. Adaptive headlights (w. always on glare-free high beams)
6. If another automaker delivered L3-L5 before Tesla
7. Faster charging (thinking of Mission-E’s claimed 15 min charge time)

• Informative
My requirements are minor. I would even be fine with no SCN.
Here is what a competitor would need, or Tesla to loose, for me to switch.

Sales direct from the manufacturer. No stealerships.
A company goal of cleaning up our energy and transportation sector.

Things that would make it easier to switch:
A very good battery longevity.
OTA updates
Clean, contemporary styling. I don’t want to feel like I am driving a lazy boy chair, disco ball, or both (hello ELR).

Availability actually.
When I reserved my Model 3 on April 1 2016 the MyTesla page stated delivery in early 2018. Half a year later it just said 2018. By now it says late 2018. If it gets pushed back into 2019, I will cancel my reservation ...

Same here. Any indication of further delay beyond "Early 2019", will start looking for alternatives.

And knowing that Americans who reserve now will get their car before me who reserved on day 1 makes me really angry.

Absolutely. Can imagine the challenge scaling production overseas but this is just taking us for a joke.

Same here. Any indication of further delay beyond "Early 2019", will start looking for alternatives.
Absolutely. Can imagine the challenge scaling production overseas but this is just taking us for a joke.

I recall a similar situation with Euro cars in high demand in the US. For instance it took more than a year to get a new MINI Cooper S in the US compared to the UK or other EU countries.

You'll be delighted to learn that the LEAF long distance network is free, at least for now.

Are you tempted ?

I need at least 160 miles during the winter so the 40 kWh is a no go. I'm not particularly interested in any charging network at the moment, even when free, and would rather get a BEV with a big enough battery. I doubt my wife will be pleased staying 5-10 minutes out in the winter to charge up the vehicle and then bring it to another parking spot so others can use her employer's charger.

If I was doing the long distance commute, I wouldn't mind charging at my employer's especially if free and then move it out so others get a chance. I think it will be clogged up anyway with some employees leaving their PHEVs or BEVs charging for the entire day.

I would just charge a little bit so I can reach home but I think with women, they prioritize convenience over many other selling points --
Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus

• Disagree
Reactions: DR61
The list is pretty big. These are the things I most desire in a Tesla and is what sets them apart from the competition in my mind. Some these may be features on competitors, but I don't know of any other cars that have all of the equivalent features.
  • EV
  • Large Battery Sizes (210+ Miles)
  • Pre-conditioning of Car
  • Modern Computer Interfaces with large touch based screen with good UI
  • Large windows / good visibility
  • High performance at lower speeds (I don't care about top speeds, only acceleration at lower speeds)
  • Thermally Managed Batteries
  • OTA Updates
  • High Speed Charging Network for roadtrips

• Informative
The only thing that would make me go somewhere else is if a lot of the features didn't work.

For instance.

Its been said by a Tesla podcast group that a Tesla employee took delivery and gave their Model 3 to a shop to get wrapped to protect the paint. Thy guy at the shop ( who is not under an NDA ) is an avid Tesla fan and a reservation holder.

He went over a list of things that didn't yet work in the Model 3 such as:

No intermittent wipers
No auto rain sensing for the wipers.
No auto pilot features at all
No WIFI ( cant yet connect to a homes wife network )
No FM radio yet.
Turn signal indicators don't show up on UI yet.
No web browser
No energy consumption graphs or anything of the sort
Regen does not work yet
Auto lock when walking away does not work yet

As well as a list of things that do work.

Mirrors do auto fold/unfold
HVAC works just fine
Rear air vents work.
USB stick audio works
Turn signals have sound
Trunk and Frunk auto open from the app
Trunk opening folds very very flat.
Red brake calipers

Info.
Frunk has a 12volt release from 2 wires behind a round hole in the front bumper
received 2 key cards ( RFID not NFC ) 15 seconds to get in and start the car before having to represent the card for another start.
summon will work in the future
Can set up to 3 phones to open and close doors. ( no preference can be set to which phone will always use ).

• Informative
  • Lack of quality of model 3 after the initial "bug fixing"
  • How long it will take before I get my model 3 (I guess 400.000+ are before me in the line)
  • Towing capability. Model 3 will be big enough 80% of the time but no towing capability (?) and the small trunk opening can be a challenge for my only car

• Informative