Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Besides SCN, what features (or lack of in 3 ) would make u jump ship from a 3 to a competing brand?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this topic is too premature in 2017 and 18 when the Model 3 really has no competition in the performance and styling departments.

People have complained on TMC about the price of add ons (i.e. not a mass market BEV but most of us knew Tesla is striving to be profitable and cash flow positive from operations), the potential lack of a heated steering wheel, the lack of rear door unlock/lock mechanism and the lack of instrument cluster.

To me, combined, they're not enough to sway me to a competing brand as I will likely be skipping TACC/AP add on but going with AWD, PUP and the long-range battery.

What kind of features competing brands start to offer will make you pass up another Tesla for your next vehicle (after owning a 3)? I can tell that those solid state batteries promising double the range would be a major game changer and hopefully Tesla/Panasonic will be on top of the game.

SCN is supercharging network? That's pretty much the main feature that would help keep me within Tesla family, on top of EAP and the rest of Tesla DNA. If Mazda had a cheaper, long distance EV, I would seriously consider it (big fan of their engineering and styling over the past few years), but long distance charging would still be a sticking point.

As a moderate "car guy" and engineer, I like delving into the details of my purchases a lot, but to be honest I wouldn't care too deeply about what chemistry my batteries had so much as the cost and longevity. Meaning even if Tesla languished and didn't have the cutting edge chemistry, they would still be in the running since they have a proven lifetime and have good range. On the flip-side, the new Leaf is looking pretty good to me, even knowing nothing about the chemistry - but the history of poor thermal management and thus rapid degradation would give me serious pause.

1wszx2.gif

1wt029.gif

Let's see...

It would have to be from a decent corporation. Scratch GM. And probably scratch Nissan. Scratch VW
It would have to have a decent battery. Scratch Nissan

So currently -- no one in sight. If Toyota comes through with solid state batteries in a BEV I would probably end up with one Tesla and one Toyota. BMW/Ford ? Not excluded, but not really on my radar and I do not trust BMW reliability. I do appreciate the i3 design though.

Reactions: internalaudit
Competitive range and styling (better-looking than the Bolt). If Hyundai made a 200-mile Ioniq EV, or Kia makes an EV version of the Stinger, I'd consider either. I was actually close to buying a Soul EV, but the range was just short of my comfort level. If GM would make something with similar range and performance as the Bolt in a more attractive package (i.e. Regal Sportback) I'd consider that, too.

So far, Tesla is the only one that seems to actually care about making their EVs visually appealing.

• A heated steering wheel would be nice.
  • A moonroof would be nice.
  • An instrument cluster would be nice.
  • An AM radio would be nice.
  • CarPlay/Android Auto would be nice.
  • A hatch would be nice.
  • Physical buttons/controls for key features would be nice.
That’s honestly a much longer list of gripes than I would have hoped to have. But even given all that, the Supercharger network is still irreplaceable at this point in time for long-distance travel in a BEV.

So the only other viable option for me would be a Gen 2 Volt (which would eliminate the need for DCFC charging on long trips). But between the Volt and the Model 3, I’m still leaning towards the Tesla for its 100% electric driving, better electric efficiency, usable-for-an-adult rear middle seat, better styling and performance, and (maybe) EAP (if Tesla can ever actually manage to deliver on it).

Besides AP and Superchargers, the other thing Tesla does differently that makes a big differences is the OTA updates. These make a psychological difference as well as a practical one - things that are very annoying in the car can/often will become better with a Tesla, while in another car they are locked that way forever - and whether they are fixed soon or not, in the mean time they're easier to tolerate emotionally because I think they are temporary.

So I'd really want to see a competitor demonstrate an actual commitment to OTA updates before I seriously consider them (a couple folks have claimed cars are capable of it, but I have yet to see new features rolled out on any other model after delivery - whereas Tesla has added new things that were never mentioned beforehand to my X (battery level at destination prediction, Supercharger routing, etc.)

I don't think any other carmaker has the R&D invested in a self-driving or driver-assist like Tesla has. I'm not buying the 3 just for the BEV aspect. I use the AP almost every time I drive it. And THAT is why the 3 makes the most sense. I can spend 2/3 of what my S cost and have more power and nearly same features. I won't pay for FSD as that's most likely not going to get through regulations for another 6-8 years. No sense paying for something in the loan that I'm not going to get to use.

But EAP is great! I'm on AP1 so I don't get some of the features AP2 is getting, but already it's amazing how much I lean on it during long drives. It's something that at least ONE of our cars will always have.

Genuine 200 mile range.
Battery and drivetrain with decent thermal management and warranty.
0-60mph in about 6 seconds, still decent acceleration at 80mph for overtaking.
Small/medium sized Sedan or coupe.
Interior and exterior design like a normal car, not something that belongs in a lego box or on the set of an 80s low budget sci-fi movie.

Basically if you dropped a model 3 equivalent drivetrain/battery into a new mazda 3/ acura tsx and made it work i'd probaby buy that over a model 3.

I know this topic is too premature in 2017 and 18 when the Model 3 really has no competition in the performance and styling departments.

People have complained on TMC about the price of add ons (i.e. not a mass market BEV but most of us knew Tesla is striving to be profitable and cash flow positive from operations), the potential lack of a heated steering wheel, the lack of rear door unlock/lock mechanism and the lack of instrument cluster.

To me, combined, they're not enough to sway me to a competing brand as I will likely be skipping TACC/AP add on but going with AWD, PUP and the long-range battery.

What kind of features competing brands start to offer will make you pass up another Tesla for your next vehicle (after owning a 3)? I can tell that those solid state batteries promising double the range would be a major game changer and hopefully Tesla/Panasonic will be on top of the game.

The following are basically listed in the order of importance. (Some of the following may adversely affect the decision to acquire my first Tesla). The bold faced items are very important to me.

XM
Inability to purchase SAS without purchasing dual motor drive (if this is the case)?
HUD

Knobs and buttons at large
Handles to assist one in in entering or exiting the vehicle
Foolproof mechanical door openers, for emergencies (ALL doors)

Scannerman

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit
1. Physical controls - I've seen the videos I've seen of people playing around with the "big touchscreen that does 95% of functions that aren't move the car and stop it", I'm sorry but I consider it an unoptimal way of controlling the car's functions. Give me buttons and knobs that I can commit to muscle memory and have tactile feedback.

2. Apple Carplay / Android Auto - this is a sore point from the company that talked about having a 3rd party "app store" and phone mirroring in the future. Tesla has an odd obsession with vertical integration - evidenced by them going down the Tesla music route to possibly kick out slacker and spotify. Tesla's connected cars will be all by its lonesome for users who are heavily invested into the Apple/Google ecosystem.