Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best 10m type 2 cable? (With 3pin and other adaptors)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

I’m looking for a 10m (or 15m if they do them) aftermarket type 2 cable which I can take with me on any future trips which will cover most overnight charging situations.

So a 3pin plug is essential and then any other adaptors that may be useful.

Can any one recommend a kit which I should be looking at and what types of adaptors I should be looking to make sure it has.

thanks

Hi

I’m looking for a 10m (or 15m if they do them) aftermarket type 2 cable which I can take with me on any future trips which will cover most overnight charging situations.

Can any one recommend a kit which I should be looking at and what types of adaptors I should be looking to make sure it has.

I'm not quite following the question. A Type 2 cable is just for Type 2. It doesn't include "3 pin plug" connectivity. If you have a Tesla then you will already have been provided with all the things you refer to i.e. A Type 2 cable and (separately) a "UMC" universal connector which gives you the 3 pin plug connectivity and has a Type 2 connector at the car end. You can buy an aftermarket UMC if that's what you mean.

Hi

thanks

Type 2 to Type 2 charging cables are generally 5m in length (example), and will handle 32A 3 phase.
For Model 3, that will deliver 11kW at a Type 2 charging station.

A 15m cable is quite heavy and a lot of cable to manage especially when unwinding/winding at the start/end of your charging session.
You can request a custom order quote here, but a more universal solution is a 10m Type 2 to Type 2 extension cable that will cover for all situations where your Tesla just doesn't reach the power supply.

So this would have been perfect, but the price, wow....
Do you know of any cheaper alternatives?

For Model3, a 11kW EVSE will give you single phase and 3phase charging options.
If you have access to a CEE 5pin outlet socket, 3phase 16A or greater, this one is perfect.
Make sure you use the pull-down menu's to select EVSE Amerage - 16A - 11kW and Plug type - CEE 5pin.

upload_2020-4-21_0-11-36.png

AUD910, cost after conversion ~GBP470, (postage you could add another GBP85 - just a guesstimate based on rough figures).

They can also custom manufacture tails to connect the EVSE to other outlets, you can ask them using their customization request page.
For example, they could also supply tails to connect their EVSE to CEE32A 400V 3phase, CEE16, 230V 1phase, and Type B (GB).
Note that that if you used the EVSE with the Type B tail, you would get the full 15A - you would use that instead of the Tesla Gen2 UMC; it limits the current flow to 80%. That's a 25% increase, or look at it another way, a reduction of 20% charging time....