Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best 19 tires replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I prefer the Pirelli. It is more quiet and cheaper cost. Handling feels the same between the two.

And they should last longer: Wear out warranty for the MXM4's are 55,000 miles, P7 +II are 70,000 miles.
I was going to get these Pirelli P7's, I really wanted them, but I found another tire on my want-to-try list for a better price: Continental Extreme contact DWS

I bought these for $240 CDN from Canadian Tire a month ago. (The Pirelli's were $290) They will be my Mar-Oct rubber, right now I have my Nokian WRG4's mounted, but I just put them on for 800 km to try them out and make sure the TPMS they installed were working properly, and I like them. If someone were looking for a softer riding tire I would suggest these. They soak the bumps much better than MXM4's, perhaps a little quieter, and putting the Nokian's back on felt like they had 80 psi of pressure in comparison. (Nokian's are very firm, which helps contribute to their low rolling resistance) Not enough time on them to suggest any energy usage comparisons yet.

Here is a test vs. the popular Michelin A/S3+ for interests sake (another tire I considered- I am a tire whore; I want to try them all :D)

• Informative
Reactions: smilepak
Kind of hit and miss here. Had I brought in a set of jack pads, they would have put the car up and mounted them, but since I had no pads, they would only mount and balance the tires (on new wheels). I installed the tires/wheels myself at home.

I have a set of hockey pucks in the trunk for this reason, but I am done having tire stores jack up my car. I just bring in the loose wheels.
Even at a specialized tire store chain here in western Canada, Kal-Tire, (the exclusive Nokian retailer) a few years ago they insisted they knew what they were doing with Tesla's: "we just had 2 in this morning" which sounds promising, but I insisted to the store manager that I watch the same technician at work with mine, and I found out that he jacked up the previous 2 model S's using the skid guards under the battery; never even knew about the plastic jack pads on the corners of the car. Wow. And then I forgot to put the car in high suspension setting and it scraped its way up the short ramps onto the jack. Yeah, I will do it myself thanks.

And they should last longer: Wear out warranty for the MXM4's are 55,000 miles, P7 +II are 70,000 miles.
I was going to get these Pirelli P7's, I really wanted them, but I found another tire on my want-to-try list for a better price: Continental Extreme contact DWS

I bought these for $240 CDN from Canadian Tire a month ago. (The Pirelli's were $290) They will be my Mar-Oct rubber, right now I have my Nokian WRG4's mounted, but I just put them on for 800 km to try them out and make sure the TPMS they installed were working properly, and I like them. If someone were looking for a softer riding tire I would suggest these. They soak the bumps much better than MXM4's, perhaps a little quieter, and putting the Nokian's back on felt like they had 80 psi of pressure in comparison. (Nokian's are very firm, which helps contribute to their low rolling resistance) Not enough time on them to suggest any energy usage comparisons yet.

Here is a test vs. the popular Michelin A/S3+ for interests sake (another tire I considered- I am a tire whore; I want to try them all :D)
Nice. I wasn’t impressed with mxm4

The Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus is a great tire, but some people have posted here that it does have some traction issues with the Tesla (specifically on launches). In addition, it is not a low-rolling resistance tire, which can increase energy usage by 10% over the OEM tires.

I'm assuming you want an all-season tire such that you only run one set of tires all year, and as you said, it needs to have wet and light snow traction.

With those parameters, I'd look at 5 different tires.

These first 3 tires are Grand Touring category, which are tuned for smooth, comfortable ride and low noise.

1. Pirelli Citurato P7 All Season Plus - Highly rated, meets almost all of your requirements. Can lose a bit of traction on launches, is not low rolling resistance. Rated for 70K miles, but you will get less.
2. Michelin Primacy MXM4 - One of the OEM tires from Tesla. Excellent all-around tire, low rolling resistance. Not as good with snow traction. Rated for 50K miles, you will get less.
3. Good Year Eagle Touring / T0-Tesla - The newest OEM tire from Tesla. Low rolling resistance and has the noise-reduction foam inside. Probably not as good with snow traction as the Pirelli. Rated for 50K miles, tire is too new to know whether that will hold up.

Note that while these all-season tires can cope with light snow, none of them will be anywhere near a dedicated winter tire. If you are actually going to be driving in snow, you should consider a 2nd set of winter tires.

The other 2 tires are Ultra-High Performance All-Season category, which are tuned for handling and traction at the expense of a bit higher noise and not as smooth of a ride.

4. Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 - Meets or exceeds the Pirelli in performance, good snow traction for an all-season tire. Not low rolling resistance. Rated for 55K miles, you will probably get less.
5. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ - Best performing tire here, best traction and handling. Rated 50K miles and may actually do it. Not low rolling resistance.

Energy use is important to me, so my choice for an all-season would be either the Primacy or the Eagle. If energy use was no issue, I'd probably go with the Pilot Sport.
Thanks for your excellent review of tires. Very informative and great to have the links. I have 19" rims so the Continentals looks like the best fit and has an excellent price point. The Michelins are sold at Costco but currently they are out of stock, they are offering $150 off atm.

On a side note, with the OEM tires and rims I have now, it is so easy to get curb rash on the rims. Any recommendations on that problem? I had a recommendation for new tires and rims from Les Schwab that used a slightly larger tire width wise so the rims are not so exposed. I also learned to use the feature that slants the mirror down when backing up. I have an estimate of $250 per rim to repair them. Seems high to me. Anyone want to comment?

Thanks for your excellent review of tires. Very informative and great to have the links. I have 19" rims so the Continentals looks like the best fit and has an excellent price point. The Michelins are sold at Costco but currently they are out of stock, they are offering $150 off atm.

On a side note, with the OEM tires and rims I have now, it is so easy to get curb rash on the rims. Any recommendations on that problem? I had a recommendation for new tires and rims from Les Schwab that used a slightly larger tire width wise so the rims are not so exposed. I also learned to use the feature that slants the mirror down when backing up. I have an estimate of $250 per rim to repair them. Seems high to me. Anyone want to comment?
I have never had a rim refinished, so can’t comment on that, but I know a full set of slipstreams have sold in here for $1000 and less, and some may have included tpms sensors; (some even with tires)so to buy them for the same price seems like a better idea, depending on how many you are refinishing. A few years ago I know you could get single rims, professionally repaired and refinished on eBay for about the same price as well.

And in the future you can protect the rims with rim protectors. If you get a matching colour you hardly notice them.
AlloyGator Wheel Protection for Alloy Wheels and Rims. AlloyGator is the best rim edge protector solution. | N-Motion Auto

Why You Should Choose Rimblades | RimBladesUSA.com

The local Tesla group had someone doing rim repair at an event a month or so back. I heard the guy was booked for the day before he got there.

I have seen some people here on the forum get plastic rim protectors that go along the edge of the rim where it meets the tire. I haven't used them though.

I'm also looking at this tire for my next set, though they have a "II" model out now. For me it's between the VREDESTEIN QUATRAC PRO and the PIRELLI CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON PLUS II. Funny, when I do the Tire Rack suggestion survey picking comfort and treadlife over everything else, these are the only two tires that come up.
Vredestein looks interesting...similar to nokian?

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (Acoustic) for the win. I've averaged 290 wh/mile in my S P90DL since April (about 3k miles)! That includes a mix of 75mph hwy, curvy hilly roads and stop and go in town.

I was running AS 3+ then PS4 AS year round. I thought the busy tread pattern of the AS might be hurting efficiency. The PS4 is a summer tire with incredible grip, not suitable for snow and ice, so I'll switch back during winter.

From a trip to and from the Atlanta International Airport today I averaged 264 wh/mi. It was 90 F outside. A/C was set to 73 and I drove a good portion 70-80 mph.

PXL_20220707_155909706.jpg

Again, this is a 2016 P90DL on the 245 19" PS4 tires with acoustic foam AO (Audi OEM). I've run the all season version of this tire in summer, both the PS4 AS and AS3+ and averaged around 315 wh/m. Just crazy that I'm getting 290 wh/m in this car with a wonderful summer tire.

I live north of Atlanta in Milton and the roads are a bit hilly and windy. The 290 wh/m is mixed driving including highway, stop and go, hills, and even a long dirt road.

Reactions: gt2690b
From a trip to and from the Atlanta International Airport today I averaged 264 wh/mi. It was 90 F outside. A/C was set to 73 and I drove a good portion 70-80 mph.

View attachment 825864
Again, this is a 2016 P90DL on the 245 19" PS4 tires with acoustic foam AO (Audi OEM). I've run the all season version of this tire in summer, both the PS4 AS and AS3+ and averaged around 315 wh/m. Just crazy that I'm getting 290 wh/m in this car with a wonderful summer tire.

I live north of Atlanta in Milton and the roads are a bit hilly and windy. The 290 wh/m is mixed driving including highway, stop and go, hills, and even a long dirt road.
Are you still happy with your Pilot Sport 4's? Does Michelin offer an "acoustic" version and "non-acoustic" version? Are you still getting low wh/mi? I'm ready to replace the tires on my 2018 MS100D. Thanks for your help.

I'm very pleased with the Michelin CrossClimate2 tires I'm currently running. My average Wh/mi is the same as the Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires, but the tread life is looking to be quite a lot better. I'm currently at about 30,000 miles on the tires. They're quiet and have a very unique tread pattern that I quite like. :)

mmihv0_ang_l.jpg

I'm very pleased with the Michelin CrossClimate2 tires I'm currently running. My average Wh/mi is the same as the Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires, but the tread life is looking to be quite a lot better. I'm currently at about 30,000 miles on the tires. They're quiet and have a very unique tread pattern that I quite like. :)

mmihv0_ang_l.jpg
And since they have a snowflake symbol on the sidewall, they are all-weather rated, so when it snows there in Arizona you don't have to worry. ;)

mmihv0_ang_l.jpg
I bought a set of these earlier this year and I'm really happy with them so far. Haven't tried them in the snow yet. I have a set of X-ice for the winter. I'm curious how they would compare.

mmihv0_ang_l.jpg
Thanks for the information. I really don't' need an all season tire, since almost all of my driving is in GA and FL. I do want a tire that gets good traction in rain, though. I want at least a 60,000 mile tire. TireRack shows a Michelin "Primacy 4". Is that the same as a "Primacy MXM4"??

I have a '20 non performance S. Within a week of ownership I put the Continental Extreme contact DWS on. At 12242 miles today
I had to order 2 new front tires. Almost completely bald and failed NYS inspection. Called Continental due to 50K warranty, what a joke. Not necessarily Continental but the place they sent me to. Guy told the problem is Tesla's are crap cars that eat tires. And did you ever have to change brakes good luck ....I said what do you drive that you think my car is a piece of crap...he said a Prius... I sad buddy your an A...Hole, Nice how you talk to customers, Go F yourself. Walked out called Continental back and they said to buy 2 new tires and send them the receipt and they would send shipping labels for the 2 bad ones and they will send me back the difference for the pro-rated cost.

I have a '20 non performance S. Within a week of ownership I put the Continental Extreme contact DWS on. At 12242 miles today
I had to order 2 new front tires. Almost completely bald and failed NYS inspection. Called Continental due to 50K warranty, what a joke. Not necessarily Continental but the place they sent me to. Guy told the problem is Tesla's are crap cars that eat tires. And did you ever have to change brakes good luck ....I said what do you drive that you think my car is a piece of crap...he said a Prius... I sad buddy your an A...Hole, Nice how you talk to customers, Go F yourself. Walked out called Continental back and they said to buy 2 new tires and send them the receipt and they would send shipping labels for the 2 bad ones and they will send me back the difference for the pro-rated cost.
I had the same experience; should have posted it here again as well. 20,000 miles and they were shot. Didn't even bother with the warranty because I would have to buy the same crappy tire again, and I don't want them. Love my Pirelli P7's now though.

Winter tire recommendations

I had the same experience; should have posted it here again as well. 20,000 miles and they were shot. Didn't even bother with the warranty because I would have to buy the same crappy tire again, and I don't want them. Love my Pirelli P7's now though.

Winter tire recommendations
I here you but the rears are fine. Kinda like a hamster on the wheel..... Don't really want to bite the bullet and spend over 1K on 4 different ones when i hope to get by with about spending $2-300.

Reactions: dark cloud