Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best 19 tires replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
not as often as I should. I know. This is the third car I have owned with run flat tires

Are the Pirelli Sottozeros the run-flats or the summer tires? (Or both?) What's the summer tire model? (I assume you bought these yourself, Telsa OEM tires are not run-flats). Run-flat tires will not have the same performance compared to standard tires. This goes for traction, handling, ride quality, and tread life. They also cost more and cannot be repaired if they do get punctured. For these reasons, I don't recommend run-flats. Standard tires and a portable inflator/patch kit will handle many situations, and roadside assistance can fix everything else.

Nevertheless, even with run-flats, the 85D should give you even wear if the tires are rotated every 5000 miles. Some people will tell you that because the 85D is all-wheel drive that rotations aren't necessary or you can go longer between rotations, but I don't buy into that. There are minute differences in wheel alignment and slight differences in handling at each corner of the car, and giving each tire a chance at each position will even out those differences. I recommend rotation in the rearward-cross pattern, so long as you do not have directional tires (not common in the Tesla's tire sizes).

Also, you need to have the tires balanced every other rotation, and have Tesla do the 4-wheel alignment at each annual service.

Older Teslas, especially 85 and P85 models with coil suspension, have a rear camber (and sometimes excessive toe) that can wear the inside edges of the rear tires fairly quickly. On air suspension models, D models, and recent rear-wheel drive coil cars, this isn't as much of an issue, and in all cases tends to affect the 21" wheels/tires much more than the 19"s.

Wow! I really thought that because there was no spare that they had run-flats. That explains quite a bit. In my living situation, I am going to explore the run-flat option with my local tire guy. I'm not subjecting my wife and kids to waiting for hours for roadside assistance and that is the reality of what it is where I live. I can do a patch, she cannot. Imagine a snowy winter night in the rockies or the wasatch. imagine a 110 degree summer day here in the desert. for my wife and kids, when I'm not with them, I'll tolerate using the run-flats. I'll look for the Michelin version like I put on my old X5 to replace the Sottozero's and hopefully get through the summer on the existing Primacy mxm4's. Thanks for all the feedback

Just another data point to throw in there. I'm at 54,000 miles on my '15 85D. Got 30,000 out of my OEM Primacies and replaced those with Pilot Sport A/S 3+ last June. I've gotten just about 23,000 out of them and they are down to 3/32. Loved them despite that. I'm giving them one more chance since I was able to get a $99/tire warranty refund on them. If I still get poor tread life performance, then I might go back to OEMs or something else.

I spent 6 months trying to decide replacements for my OEM Primacys ('13 Model S RWD 85, 19 inch, coil susp). I was *very* happy with the Michelin Primacy tires. The ride, energy efficiency, and I got 44k miles out of them. But research on TMC, TireRack, etc. indicated very high consumer satisfaction with the new Pilot Sport A/S 3+. Then I read results of Consumers Reports testing. They do actual tests, not just consumer reviews/surveys. Slalom, wet braking, dry breaking, skid pad g force tests, etc. This tire is at the absolute top of their ratings. So, I got them. Installed in FL from Discount Tire includes lifetime free spin balancing/rotating. Total cost out the door was just under $900 after a $70 rebate offer. I've now had them for a couple thousand miles, and I have to say I am extremely impressed and happy with them. The handling is improved. Road noise very low. I've noticed no change in average watt-hours per mile from the Primacys. The cornering is amazing. I can't believe the performance of these tires, at such a reasonable cost to boot. [I own no Michelin stock; have no conflicts of interest; just a happy Model S driver.]

Thank you! This will be my next tire!
FYI, for those whose looking to get new Michelin tires, $100 off code until 9/17/17 https://www.tirebuyer.com/BMWBlog?utm_source=bmwblog&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=Monterey17

Day 2 on Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus 245-45 R19 tires:

2015 85D, 27.5K miles, OEM MXM4 tires with 3/32 tread remaining. First went to my local Firestone, which does a good job and is walking distance from home. Unfortunately, they aren't Michelin dealers, so couldn't process a tread wear warranty.

Next went to Discount Tire. Their price was the same as tirerack.com (without the shipping cost) and they said they've done tires on 4 Teslas. Installation was uneventful. I got an $80 per tire refund from the tread wear warranty (rated for 45K miles).

Have about 100 miles on the new tires now and very pleased. Handle well. Probably a little quieter than the MXM4's, though hard to be sure. These tires are not rated green for low rolling resistance like the MXM4's, but my energy usage is identical, so far. Did a 65 mile round trip today that I do regularly, involving curvy canyon roads and a 3000 ft elevation change, and used 265 wh/mi.

Day 2 on Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus 245-45 R19 tires:

2015 85D, 27.5K miles, OEM MXM4 tires with 3/32 tread remaining. First went to my local Firestone, which does a good job and is walking distance from home. Unfortunately, they aren't Michelin dealers, so couldn't process a tread wear warranty.

Next went to Discount Tire. Their price was the same as tirerack.com (without the shipping cost) and they said they've done tires on 4 Teslas. Installation was uneventful. I got an $80 per tire refund from the tread wear warranty (rated for 45K miles).

Have about 100 miles on the new tires now and very pleased. Handle well. Probably a little quieter than the MXM4's, though hard to be sure. These tires are not rated green for low rolling resistance like the MXM4's, but my energy usage is identical, so far. Did a 65 mile round trip today that I do regularly, involving curvy canyon roads and a 3000 ft elevation change, and used 265 wh/mi.

Interesting. You must have a lot of bad road conditions or something. My 2015 70D came with the same OEM MXM4 and at the last service in June, I had 36k+ miles and the thread was 7 or 8 on mine. It was getting a bit noise so I decided to replace them, but can easily drive with them another year or so.

smilepak - I've seen tread wear all over the place for the MXM4's. It's possible that "spirited driving" when I first got the car, and doing some drag racing (1/4 mile straights) one evening at an "open to the public" day at a local race track contributed. And then there's our rutted interstate caused by trucks' chains in the winter. I'm sure all contributed. We'll see how long these last, also warrantied for 45K.

I just replaced the crap 19" GoodYear OEMs with Toyo Celcius from 1010tires.com and they are immediately 1000% better - quieter, smoother, more traction, better handling and of course they are All Weather with M+S and Snowflake ratings which means they are not just genuine snow tires in every jurisdiction but also have a 100000km wear warranty (which of course is useless because they require certified rotation by the dealer every 8000km...) but is at least an indication of what they expect.....

Are you rotating them every 5000 miles?

I have about 40K on my 85D, and very even tire wear, but I rotate often.

I have never rotated my original tires. They are all but now worn. The front is slightly worst then the rear but overall they both are due for a replacement. I have around 22K miles on the OEM Goodyear.

Hoping the perreli is similar in terms of even wear so I only need to rotate every 20K miles and hopefully they last 60K miles so I don't have to replace the tires for a while.

I just replaced the crap 19" GoodYear OEMs with Toyo Celcius from 1010tires.com and they are immediately 1000% better - quieter, smoother, more traction, better handling and of course they are All Weather with M+S and Snowflake ratings which means they are not just genuine snow tires in every jurisdiction but also have a 100000km wear warranty (which of course is useless because they require certified rotation by the dealer every 8000km...) but is at least an indication of what they expect.....
i wonder how the Wh/mi Wh/km consumption changes with this tires?