Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best 19 tires replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@sorka I've got the A/S 3+ on TSportline TST 19", using for a "winter" tire down south in place of the factory 21" with PSS. The ride and performance is really good, but I'm still gauging the efficiency. I figured they shouldn't be worse than the PSS efficiency wise. I'd be interested to know how yours compare to the primacies long term.

@sorka I've got the A/S 3+ on TSportline TST 19", using for a "winter" tire down south in place of the factory 21" with PSS. The ride and performance is really good, but I'm still gauging the efficiency. I figured they shouldn't be worse than the PSS efficiency wise. I'd be interested to know how yours compare to the primacies long term.

Don't have enough miles to make a definitive judgement yet but it's close. That said, I think the AS3s might be 1 or 2% worse on economy than the Primacies. Still, I could be wrong and I won't really know until the weather warms up and the rains stop and I get non wind commutes (260 mile round trip) with 65+ F weather.

I have to dump my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s after only 15,000 miles. Tread is down to 3mm and tires are scalloped along inside edges according to Tesla and Discount Tire. Checked alignment, per Tesla the out-of-spec parameters did not affect tire wear and therefore would not have caused the issues I'm seeing. Castor was a little out of whack and so was the thrust angle, toe was off by just a tiny amount - all much less than previous alignments I had with the Primacies which showed no issues. Suspension checked and all is normal. My factory Primacies lasted just over 40,000 miles so going back to those. The A/S 3s have also developed a very annoying warbling sound above 50 MPH, likely due to the scalloping. Energy usage with the A/S 3s have been about 10% higher than my previous Primacies.

I know better than to second-guess Tesla's tire recommendations. Going to stick with those from now on.

I have to dump my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s after only 15,000 miles. Tread is down to 3mm and tires are scalloped along inside edges according to Tesla and Discount Tire. Checked alignment, per Tesla the out-of-spec parameters did not affect tire wear and therefore would not have caused the issues I'm seeing. Castor was a little out of whack and so was the thrust angle, toe was off by just a tiny amount - all much less than previous alignments I had with the Primacies which showed no issues. Suspension checked and all is normal. My factory Primacies lasted just over 40,000 miles so going back to those. The A/S 3s have also developed a very annoying warbling sound above 50 MPH, likely due to the scalloping. Energy usage with the A/S 3s have been about 10% higher than my previous Primacies.

I know better than to second-guess Tesla's tire recommendations. Going to stick with those from now on.

The 3s are a totally different tire than the 3+. Did you see the user surveys of the 3 vs the 3+ on tirerack.com?

If that happens to mine, I'll be taking advantage of the 45K mile treadlife warranty at Costco. I just got the alignment done right after replacing the tires and I'll make sure to document rotations in case that becomes an issue.

The 3s are a totally different tire than the 3+. Did you see the user surveys of the 3 vs the 3+ on tirerack.com?

If that happens to mine, I'll be taking advantage of the 45K mile treadlife warranty at Costco. I just got the alignment done right after replacing the tires and I'll make sure to document rotations in case that becomes an issue.
Thanks for the link, it looks to have some really great reviews. However, the tread life rating appears the same as does the overall design of the tire. I think I'm going to stay away from these. They are also about $30 cheaper per tire than the Primacies, so suspect there is a reason for that.

I have the pirelli's on my 85D and have about 25k on them. They look to be about 50%. They were significantly quieter than the OEM MX4, and still are pretty quiet. I've never had a traction issue with them because of the D, so over all I'm very pleased.
I'm pretty good about 5k rotations.
I only paid $208 for them, so at the time it was a no brainer. Screen Shot 2017-02-15 at 10.57.55 AM.png
IMG_1779.JPG

I have the pirelli's on my 85D and have about 25k on them. They look to be about 50%. They were significantly quieter than the OEM MX4, and still are pretty quiet. I've never had a traction issue with them because of the D, so over all I'm very pleased.
I only paid $208 for them, so at the time it was a no brainer. View attachment 214899
View attachment 214900
What about the Goodyear oem. I hear they are quieter than the oem mx4. My oem good year is going on for 12K miles and have yet to rotate them. Pretty even wear though the front wears more than the back. I might rotate them at 15k or 20K miles.

I only paid $208 for them, so at the time it was a no brainer. View attachment 214899
View attachment 214900

The Pirelli CINTURATO P7 is a high performance summer tire, whereas the A/S 3+ is an all season (high performance) tire. In my case, I'm perfectly happy with the PSS summer tires that came with the car, but needed an all season tire for the winter months that dip into the 30s often enough. The A/S 3+ looks to be the best performing all season tire on tirerack with pretty good light snow and ice traction, but it is not a low rolling resistance tire and tread life on the S is unknown. I'll be happy if the efficiency and life are no worse than my PSS, which at 12k miles are still in good shape and averaged about 340 wh/m.

The Pirelli CINTURATO P7 is a high performance summer tire, whereas the A/S 3+ is an all season (high performance) tire. In my case, I'm perfectly happy with the PSS summer tires that came with the car, but needed an all season tire for the winter months that dip into the 30s often enough. The A/S 3+ looks to be the best performing all season tire on tirerack with pretty good light snow and ice traction, but it is not a low rolling resistance tire and tread life on the S is unknown. I'll be happy if the efficiency and life are no worse than my PSS, which at 12k miles are still in good shape and averaged about 340 wh/m.
Tire rack says the Pirelli is an all season tire. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Cinturato+P7+All+Season+Plus

Correct, the Pirelli Cinturato P7 is an all-season, grand touring tire. The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ is an all-season, ultra high performance tire.

Grand touring tires emphasize ride comfort and low noise, at the expense of handling and performance. The Pirelli is also a low rolling resistance (LRR) tire so it is quite efficient.

An ultra high performance all-season tire emphasizes handling and performance, especially in a wide range of temperature and road conditions, at the expense of ride comfort, noise, tread life, and efficiency.

• Love
Reactions: pjoseph
The Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus is a great tire, but some people have posted here that it does have some traction issues with the Tesla (specifically on launches). In addition, it is not a low-rolling resistance tire, which can increase energy usage by 10% over the OEM tires.

I'm assuming you want an all-season tire such that you only run one set of tires all year, and as you said, it needs to have wet and light snow traction.

With those parameters, I'd look at 5 different tires.

These first 3 tires are Grand Touring category, which are tuned for smooth, comfortable ride and low noise.

1. Pirelli Citurato P7 All Season Plus - Highly rated, meets almost all of your requirements. Can lose a bit of traction on launches, is not low rolling resistance. Rated for 70K miles, but you will get less.
2. Michelin Primacy MXM4 - One of the OEM tires from Tesla. Excellent all-around tire, low rolling resistance. Not as good with snow traction. Rated for 50K miles, you will get less.
3. Good Year Eagle Touring / T0-Tesla - The newest OEM tire from Tesla. Low rolling resistance and has the noise-reduction foam inside. Probably not as good with snow traction as the Pirelli. Rated for 50K miles, tire is too new to know whether that will hold up.

Note that while these all-season tires can cope with light snow, none of them will be anywhere near a dedicated winter tire. If you are actually going to be driving in snow, you should consider a 2nd set of winter tires.

The other 2 tires are Ultra-High Performance All-Season category, which are tuned for handling and traction at the expense of a bit higher noise and not as smooth of a ride.

4. Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 - Meets or exceeds the Pirelli in performance, good snow traction for an all-season tire. Not low rolling resistance. Rated for 55K miles, you will probably get less.
5. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ - Best performing tire here, best traction and handling. Rated 50K miles and may actually do it. Not low rolling resistance.

Energy use is important to me, so my choice for an all-season would be either the Primacy or the Eagle. If energy use was no issue, I'd probably go with the Pilot Sport.
I spent 6 months trying to decide replacements for my OEM Primacys ('13 Model S RWD 85, 19 inch, coil susp). I was *very* happy with the Michelin Primacy tires. The ride, energy efficiency, and I got 44k miles out of them. But research on TMC, TireRack, etc. indicated very high consumer satisfaction with the new Pilot Sport A/S 3+. Then I read results of Consumers Reports testing. They do actual tests, not just consumer reviews/surveys. Slalom, wet braking, dry breaking, skid pad g force tests, etc. This tire is at the absolute top of their ratings. So, I got them. Installed in FL from Discount Tire includes lifetime free spin balancing/rotating. Total cost out the door was just under $900 after a $70 rebate offer. I've now had them for a couple thousand miles, and I have to say I am extremely impressed and happy with them. The handling is improved. Road noise very low. I've noticed no change in average watt-hours per mile from the Primacys. The cornering is amazing. I can't believe the performance of these tires, at such a reasonable cost to boot. [I own no Michelin stock; have no conflicts of interest; just a happy Model S driver.]

Don't have enough miles to make a definitive judgement yet but it's close. That said, I think the AS3s might be 1 or 2% worse on economy than the Primacies. Still, I could be wrong and I won't really know until the weather warms up and the rains stop and I get non wind commutes (260 mile round trip) with 65+ F weather.
Just to help the discussion, we all need to be sure to clarify when folks are describing Pilot Sport A/S 3 vs. Pilot Sport A/S 3+ Seems from some earlier posts, some people might be confounding the two models. My impression from others is that the new 3+ is a significant advance over the 3. In my own case, I have the new 3+. After getting 5k more miles, I'll update on mileage.

I went with the Conti Extreme Contact 06 and like them a lot. The Pirelli Cinturato P7's are very well rated. Interestingly they are made in Mexico and the Contis in Germany, Pirelli rated to 149, the Contis 186mph (not that it matters in a Tesla). The Pirellis are 2 lbs heavier .

My energy consumption is back to normal after switching to the Primacies. I'm back into the low 280s range, I used to be above 300 with the A/S 3s.
Interesting data. 280 to 300 is a noticeable difference. I averaged 302/mile over 44k miles on Primacys. Now only a few thousand miles on A/S 3+ and I'm at 298. I'll need to wait for more data. Also, A/S 3+ are so new, seems nobody has enough experience yet to accurately know mileage. But, Consumers Reports testing of rolling resistance suggests they are slightly worse than the Primacys.

Reactions: ChawTime
Interesting data. 280 to 300 is a noticeable difference. I averaged 302/mile over 44k miles on Primacys. Now only a few thousand miles on A/S 3+ and I'm at 298. I'll need to wait for more data. Also, A/S 3+ are so new, seems nobody has enough experience yet to accurately know mileage. But, Consumers Reports testing of rolling resistance suggests they are slightly worse than the Primacys.
Worse rolling resistance was my experience. Back on Primacies (and Nokian WR-g3 for winter).

Hi Guys,
My S will be two years old this summer. I have almost 50k miles on it. I have 19" winter and summer tires. The winters are Pirelli Sottozero winter 240 series 2. I have never owned a car before where the rear tires wore faster than the front. That is what has happened with these. My S is an 85D. Is it possible that faster rear tire wear will be a characteristic of this car? I will be replacing these and look forward to any advice you have. I am not really disappointed by these but the accelerated rear tire wear is something new to me.

Hi Guys,
My S will be two years old this summer. I have almost 50k miles on it. I have 19" winter and summer tires. The winters are Pirelli Sottozero winter 240 series 2. I have never owned a car before where the rear tires wore faster than the front. That is what has happened with these. My S is an 85D. Is it possible that faster rear tire wear will be a characteristic of this car? I will be replacing these and look forward to any advice you have. I am not really disappointed by these but the accelerated rear tire wear is something new to me.

Are you rotating them every 5000 miles?

I have about 40K on my 85D, and very even tire wear, but I rotate often.