Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best 19 tires replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just an update for those still interested.

So I finally got around to swapping out my OEM tires. I got around 22K miles on it. It was the Goodyear and it was pretty bald, though I could've gotten maybe another 2-3K easy driving miles, but I was just itching to test out the Cinturato P7 Plus All-season.

Anyways I did swap them for the Cinturato and have put around 1K miles on them. Here are my observations:

1) Road Noise:
They are slightly quieter than the OEM Goodyear with the foam. The frequency also shifted to the lower end meaning it has more like a grumble instead of a squeal. I prefer the lower frequency noise only because it seems more natural and probably more tolerable on long road trips with my young ears.

2) Ride Quality:
Noticeably better. The OEM were more stiff and potholes and bumps were felt more. With these tires, I get more bounce which can be a good or bad thing. But for me, I prefer the slight bounce than the hard drop. Note I have the air suspension, not that it matters in this test.

3) Performance:
I have the AWD 90D Model S. I can still accelerate as fast as I did before with the OEM. In terms of acceleration they are the same. Cornering, I can tell these tires struggle more. The OEM was a bit more planted. From this test, I can see why people with RWD model S hate these tires. I have yet to test either tires in snow so I cannot comment on snow performance. For rain, I would need to wait until the winter seasons to test the Cinturato, but the OEM felt planted even under hard acceleration on wet.

4) Wh/mile:
This one is still in flux I think, but so far I have been getting good results. The OEM tires had higher consumption, around 320Wh/mile when new and near the end of its life, it was getting pretty good Wh/mile, around 303 Wh/mile average. Similarly the Cinturato was doing the same. Initially it was getting around 340 Wh/mile and I was worried, but now it is getting around 300Wh/mile even as I do 80+mph on the highway which i rarely did with the OEM tires. So in conclusion, there must be a break in period but right now I am really liking the consumption. I wouldn't be surprise if my average would go lower to 280 Wh/mile as time goes on with these tires.

5) Wear:
I can't comment much on this since it has only been around 1K miles. But I can say these tires have deep tire tread. The OEM was not that deep when it was new. I am sure these tires will last really long.

6) Looks:
I like the looks of these tires more. Because they have thicker tread, the overall tires looks larger and closer to the wheel well making look more flush with the car.

7) Price:
It was a bit pricy IMO, but hey if you want the best of the best, you have to pay. I paid just under $1K USD installed at discount tires which is only slightly higher than the OEM. In all, I hope it's worth the cost. Hoping these tires will perform well thousands of miles in with minimal maintenance.

Overall I like these tires. I am not sure why Tesla doesn't just put these on instead of the OEM goodyear at least for the 19 inch. They are superior in all respect save for the corning performance compared to the OEM Goodyear. I understand when they had the RWD Model S to keep the Goodyear, but now that all the Model S are AWD, these Perrili seems like a no brainer.

• Helpful
Reactions: Safari
Just to help the discussion, we all need to be sure to clarify when folks are describing Pilot Sport A/S 3 vs. Pilot Sport A/S 3+ Seems from some earlier posts, some people might be confounding the two models. My impression from others is that the new 3+ is a significant advance over the 3. In my own case, I have the new 3+. After getting 5k more miles, I'll update on mileage.
I now have 15k miles on the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ Wh/mile went from avg of 303 across 45k miles on the OEM Primacies to 306 avg across first 15k for the 3+, i.e.,only *one* percent worse fuel efficiency. As I noted previously, they handle amazingly well, better than the Primacies, and so far, my tread life is wearing evenly and slowly--looks like I'll get 40-50k miles out of them, similar to my experience with the Primacies.

• Informative
Reactions: bmah
I am looking at new tires for my Model S 90D. I was recomended 2 different tires from 2 different places. One is the TOYO Proxes 4+ All Season $1300 for 4 tires. The other was the Yokohama Advan Sports A/S $880 for 4 tires. Anyone have any opinions about these? I am looking for a tire that has:

1. Long tread Life
2. Low rolling Resistance
3. Comfort

Thanks in advance for opinions.

I am looking at new tires for my Model S 90D. I was recomended 2 different tires from 2 different places. One is the TOYO Proxes 4+ All Season $1300 for 4 tires. The other was the Yokohama Advan Sports A/S $880 for 4 tires. Anyone have any opinions about these? I am looking for a tire that has:

1. Long tread Life
3. Comfort

Pick two.

I don't need tires yet, but is there such a thing as LRR and quiet? Those are my two most important factors. Tread life is a close 3rd.

Can we agree that quiet and comfortable are fairly synonymous when it comes to choosing a tire?

1. Long tread Life
3. Comfort

I would not choose either the Toyo or the Yokohama for that set of factors.

The Yokohama is an ultra-high performance all-season, which sacrifices some comfort and noise for better handling and grip. It is not low rolling resistance, either. The tread life is rated fairly long at 44K miles, but you'll get less, probably no more than 30-35K.

The Toyo is in the same category, and though it has an even longer tread life rating (56K mile), that also probably means it's even less comfortable and nosier.

Additionally, while both of those tires are rated quite good, there are better tires out there.

For your importance criteria, I'd choose a grand touring all-season tire, which are designed for comfort and low noise, generally have long tread life, and are available with low rolling resistance. The top three 19" 245/45R19 tires in this category are:

1. Pirelli Cinturato P7 All-Season Plus, low rolling resistance, rated 70K miles, you'll probably get 45K.
2. Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus, low rolling resistance, rated 50K miles, you'll probably get 30-35K.
3. Michelin Primacy MXM4, low rolling resistance, rated 50K miles, you'll probably get 30-35K.

The trade-off with these tires will be slightly less responsive handling and grip, although we're talking only slightly here. The Pirelli is a great tire, but is known to show this grip limitation on launches, especially in rear-wheel drive Model S's. My favorite of these 3 is the Michelin, which was the OEM tire that Tesla used to install before they switched to the Goodyear Eagle Touring. Plus, the Michelin is at a lower price point than it's ever been, at only $200.45 per tire.

So I had a communication problem with my local Americas Tire and ended up replacing my fairly worn out Michelin MXM4s with MXV4s. I should have looked at the paperwork more closely. Anyway, reviews indicate that there isn't much difference between these, but my Wh/mile seems to be up at least 10%, maybe worse. I calculated the difference in circumference at about 2%. Only have a couple hundred miles on them so far, so maybe they'll improve. Anybody else using MXV4s? What are you seeing for Wh/mile? I'm regularly seeing 340-360 on my MS90D where I used to see 290-330.

The Goodyears came on my S 75D and at 13,500 miles two were below 3mm and the other 2 were below 5mm. I purchased the car from a mom that moved to an X. I don't know how aggressively she drove but with 2 toddlers and a new born I doubt she drove that aggressively. I decided to go to the Michelin Primacy MXM4s. So far they are much quieter, handle much better and I hope to see at least 3 times the wear. Other threads I have read have nearly universally said the Goodyears are lucky to see 19K miles. Tesla wanted $600+ to replace the two. The Michelins were around $200 each. In past vehicles (BMWs, Mercedes, etc. I have always gotten good results from Michelins and Continentals) so I tend to lean toward those brands. Fuel efficiency also seems better but I didn't have the Goodyears long enough to give them a fair comparison. My Bolt has the Michelin MXV4s and while I know they are rated well for efficiency, they just spin too easily on the Bolt and many Bolt owners are switching to better performing tires. The compound on the MXV4s seems to be very hard so they should wear well and they are very low rolling resistance but dry traction is not very good. I don't know how wet traction or snow is as we haven't had much rain here in southern California and I haven't gone up into the mountains where we have any snow.

• Informative
Reactions: chibi_kurochan
My average speed is about 172 mph! :) *Just kidding*.

Actually that why I thought V rating should suffice since i have never gone above 95 mph and that too for brief periods. But Costco is refusing to install them since it is not recommended (I am talking about Costco Canada - since Costco US does not offer Pirelli tires). This started me thinking....

Reactions: Olds442