TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Best 19inch tire

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Chancellor32, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Chancellor32

Chancellor32 Member

Thinking if getting the Goodyear Eagle Touring for my next tires. Would love to hear what others think is the best 19inch tire is? Thanks!

2. Jashev

Jashev Supporting Member

I swear by the MXM4. By far best tire I've owned.

• Like x 1
  3. No2DinosaurFuel

No2DinosaurFuel Active Member

Cinturato P7 plus from perelli if you have AWD model s. Otherwise stick with the Goodyear. Just note the P7 will last probably 2x the Goodyear. Got around 20K out of the good year. Currently have 10K on the Perelli and hardly any wear on the tread.

4. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Not at all a fan of the GETs - worn to the cords at 26K. Should have insisted upon the Michelins at pickup.

Got 53K out of the Michelin OEMs and could have gotten 60K.

Trying the Cinturatos now to see if quieter than the Michelins for the same money and tread life. Although the Michelins have a 45K warranty and exceed it easily. The Pirellis have a 70K warranty but are a pain to deal with (all 4 tires must have shoulder to shoulder wear at the wear bars to collect) and rarely exceed that mileage.

There’s one guy happy with Bridgestones, and many like Continentals.

Many threads asking the OPs question. Search and you’ll have plenty of reading ahead.

5. wdolson

wdolson Supporting Member

I'll chime in about the Goodyears. I just replaced my OEM Goodyears with Michelin Primacy MXM4s. They were on sale at Costco. I considered the Pirellis too. There is a new tire from Michelin that is supposed to be better than the Primacy I considered, but opted for the known quantity.

I don't drive the car hard, but the Goodyears were getting fairly worn at only 15K miles. I was going to wait until the end of summer, but I got a bad flat that was plugable, but they said it might not hold. So I bought new tires about 3K miles earlier than I probably could have.

I've heard some say the Michelins are noiser than the Goodyears, but at low speed I think they are quieter. They are slightly louder on the freeway, but after the first couple of days I ceased noticing the difference. Some have said range is worse with the Michelins, but I get pretty much the same as I did with the Goodyears. The difference is maybe a couple of percent, but that's probably due to the higher rolling resistance and slightly larger diameter of the new tires. Worn tires have lower rolling resistance which is more efficient (though more dangerous in wet conditions and cornering) and a smaller diameter for the same odometer gear ratio will seem more efficient because the gear ratio is set to record x rotation per mile, but it's actually taking slightly more rotations per mile, so you're getting an artificial range improvement.

6. Fcurvetweaker

Fcurvetweaker Member

Interesting. I think I will probably get around 30k out of my MXM4s on my 85D. Been rotating the tires, and all. Lots of freeway miles as a commuter.

Curious if I should try the Cinturato P7 now. Are you noticing anything as far as ride quality and range?

7. No2DinosaurFuel

No2DinosaurFuel Active Member

15K-20K on the perelli. Still have pretty thick treads. I am pretty confident it will last at least 50K on the tires. Note I dont rotate my tires. They wear evenly.

Ride quality is pretty good. It is slightly better when new. Noise is slightly better when new, but it is pretty much constant now. I would have to admit it is slightly noisier than the good year once broken in. But you probably wont notice the change once you get use to it. I compared it to a recently driven model s with goodyears.

Overall I would stick with what I recommended. If you have rwd, stick with the good year and rotate. Otherwise get the perelli and call it a day.

8. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️ Fritterer and waster of hours in an off hand wayer

Mine came with the Goodyears. At my 12,000 mile service Tesla was recommending that I replace them already. I got about 10,000 more miles out of them but they are down to the wear bars. They wouldn’t be safe for anything but dry roads. I wouldn’t buy them again. I found that the Michelins were quieter after I changed to the MXM4s, but that’s comparing them to bald Goodyears. Not sure how much difference that makes.

9. AAARSINIC

AAARSINIC Member

My Goodyear tourings were also toast at around 20k miles. I would steer clear of them.

10. SXRX

SXRX Member

I just got 52,500 miles out of Michelin Primacy a. Excellent tires overall. S P200D.

Put on a new tire from Continental-Purecontact LS. Designed for quietness. 70,000 rating. I feel the are the quietest tires Ive had. Smooth ride. I only have 500 miles so far but am satisfied.

Continental Tire Launches PureContact LS and TrueContact Tour | Continental

I saw a post from Consumer Reports stating 90,000 mile projected read life! I don't subscribe so couldn't open the review