Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best 20" tire size for winter tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a set of martian 20 45/9.5 wheels I'm planning to put Michielin X-Ice on this winter. What would be the optimal tire size? Looking from what I can find it would be either 255 vs 275 and 40R vs 45R. I'm honestly not sure what would be the difference if any. I would obviously like to avoid going too big and create rubbing before I drop over a grand on tires.

For winter tires when driving on snow a narrower tire will dig into the snow better than a wider tire. The wider tire would tend to ride on top of the snow. You could go with the OE 255/40-20 or 255/45-20 for a slightly taller side wall. (This would increase the diameter of the tire by 1" (3.6%), the speedometer readout would be similarly be slightly lower than the actual speed by the same 3.6%.)

Tire Size Comparison

Reactions: JonB65
For those wheels stick to OE size. Generally narrower tires is best on snow and taller isn't better for road snow. When you start getting into half a foot of snow and more then its a whole different ballgame, but that's another subject.