Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best 3 row PHEV that qualifies for tax credit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vickh

Dec 16, 2018
az
Wife doesn't want a pure EV and need more room. Safety and under $50K Ideally.

something I can put a low deposit down this weekend

eg this article says rivian is asking people to put down $100 deposits, b/f Biden signs on Monday. Any others?

Automakers scramble to decode new U.S. EV tax credits

Automakers and dealers must figure out if they can still offer $7,500 tax credits to would-be buyers of electric vehicles, as Congress prepares for final votes.
www.reuters.com

if not
  • Includes a new federal tax credit of $4,000 for used EVs is tempting too. If it applies to PHEVs

electrek.co

Here's every electric vehicle that currently qualifies for the US federal tax credit

Here's a comprehensive guide to help you figure out if your electric vehicle still qualifies for any federal tax credit and state incentives.
electrek.co

Hands-down, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid. It has decent EV range and a 30 amp on-board charger (recharge in 2.x hours). Unlike most 3-row SUVs and most (all?) other minivans, it legitimately seats full-sized adults in all three rows.

Bonus: since the battery pack takes up the area under the floor, you get more comfortable middle row seats than you'd get with the non-hybrid with stow-and-go seats. Those stow-and-go seats suck to sit in for more than about 30 minutes (mother-in-law has one).

Last edited:
Hands-down, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid. It has decent EV range and a 30 amp on-board charger (recharge in 2.x hours). Unlike most 3-row SUVs and some other minivans, it legitimately seats full-sized adults in all three rows.

I'm ok with small 3rd row since I have a 7 y.o and mom is 5 ft tall. As long as access is ez. (Problem with Y.)

Loved my highlander 3rd row, but alas no plug in. C'mon Toyota you've really dropped the ball w/ EVs :(

Kia Sorrento? I think the 3rd row is for kids only. It’s a model y sized vehicle.
Pacifica and Sorrento might be it, for 3-row under $50k.

Sorrento PHEV starts at $46k.

Note that HyunKia PHEVs don't have electric cabin heating, but the OP's in California so probably won't care much.

KIa supposedly has a 3-row EV, the EV9, to be launched next year.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
Pacifica and Sorrento might be it, for 3-row under $50k.

Sorrento PHEV starts at $46k.

Note that HyunKia PHEVs don't have electric cabin heating, but the OP's in California so probably won't care much.

KIa supposedly has a 3-row EV, the EV9, to be launched next year.

yep. Test drove Sorrento today. AC doesn't work well in 3rd row (no vents). Heat don't matter in AZ but AC must... Also they wanted $56k at a sketchy dealership.

Might just have to get a 2 row to increase my choices. PHEV SUV is a still a must, also reliability+ cargo room. No new Rav4 Prime here, Might have to do used.

pray tell, what are your main issues? Any other PHEVs that you looked at?

We have a persistent check engine light related to the cooling efficiency of the HV battery pack that they are unable to solve. It's been in the shop 5 times in the 5 months we've had it (we bought it new). I would also suggest checking the Pacifica forums. Lots of people with different issues related to the Hybrid. One other problem seems to be Chrysler's inability to have parts for repairs. Many people have had multiple weeks, if not months, of van in the shop. Mine's been in for a while and still a couple of weeks before parts should be in. I normally take forum complaints of reliability with a grain of salt because it's a very small sample size. The "but" this time is I am now part of the statistic :) and that's never happened to me before.

I did not look at anything else as there were really no good options. The Pacifica fits my use case perfectly... short drives in the morning and night to grab the kids. The Pinnacle trim is very nice and since I managed to get a 2021, I really like the van. The 2022 had a number of decontents and broken features (e.g. the blu-ray player cannot be used in the car because of a software bug. But because there's no OTA, good luck ever getting that fixed). I am almost willing to let them go through it and try to fix it, but my wife is a big no on trusting it. I do agree with her... we can't take the van on a longer drive without triggering the check engine light.

So.... of course your milage may vary and these are just my experience.

Good info. Similar to what I saw on Pacifica forums. I think we're going to give up on 3rd row given the slim pickin's

New thread topic: Best PHEV SUV, ideally "luxury" with the ~$50K budget. I would even do used if that market normalizes soon (not paying more than new!)

Good info. Similar to what I saw on Pacifica forums. I think we're going to give up on 3rd row given the slim pickin's

New thread topic: Best PHEV SUV, ideally "luxury" with the ~$50K budget. I would even do used if that market normalizes soon (not paying more than new!)
Rav 4 or escape. It’s not an suv but my parents Honda clarity PHEV has been flawless over 50k miles and easily gets 40-50 EV miles in good weather.