Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best 3 row PHEV that qualifies for tax credit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pacifica and Sorrento might be it, for 3-row under $50k.

Sorrento PHEV starts at $46k.

Note that HyunKia PHEVs don't have electric cabin heating, but the OP's in California so probably won't care much.

KIa supposedly has a 3-row EV, the EV9, to be launched next year.
We test drove a Sorento PHEV, nice car! The one they had in stock was the loaded, SX-P version, AWD, but unfortunately didn't have the glass roof-the one option they didn't order on it. From what I've read, owners are getting ~40 miles EV range (depending on conditions/driving speed). The Telluride is a nicer vehicle for the same money, perhaps a little less than the PHEV, and the wife liked it better, so that's what we got. Retired, so we don't drive that much, cost of fuel really doesn't make much of a difference. Might go with an EV9 in a couple years, depending on where it and CT actually land in terms of price and features.

Worried about Pacifica reliability/fires. XC90 is too pricey.

Any thoughts on the Kia Sportage (only other 3 row I could find, and credit expires Sun :(
So, our custom order Pacifica Hybrid test drive ended up in dead car in a parking lot 10min
from dealership, end of story.

Volvos are weird, loved my S60R 6MT but many service trips. We test drove the XC90, very
impractical car, giant center console with tiny storage, poor acceleration, and fairly noisy.
Geely fired the EU suppliers a decade or longer ago, parts quality is variable anymore.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
So, our custom order Pacifica Hybrid test drive ended up in dead car in a parking lot 10min
from dealership, end of story.

Volvos are weird, loved my S60R 6MT but many service trips. We test drove the XC90, very
impractical car, giant center console with tiny storage, poor acceleration, and fairly noisy.
Geely fired the EU suppliers a decade or longer ago, parts quality is variable anymore.

yeah looks like Outlander might be it. Although I think they're really small in US for some reason. One dealer in PHX! eg Fiat has several

I wish Toyota would get their act together and actually produce and sell more than 5,500 Rav4 Prims in the U.S. They advertise the vehicle and all the great things about it on their website, but try to buy one. It's impossible. From speaking with over 6 dealers, Toyota does not allow them to "order" specific vehicles as they are allotted vehicles and then they sell them. All of the dealers I spoke with have internal waiting lists of 20-50 customers and the majority of midwest dealers only get 3 a year! Do the math on that wait time. I did find one shitty dealer in Chicago that had one in stock, oh yeah, price is $15,000 over MSRP. I am a Toyota fan and own two currently, but Tesla and direct sales has really simplified the process.

I wish Toyota would get their act together and actually produce and sell more than 5,500 Rav4 Prims in the U.S. They advertise the vehicle and all the great things about it on their website, but try to buy one. It's impossible. From speaking with over 6 dealers, Toyota does not allow them to "order" specific vehicles as they are allotted vehicles and then they sell them. All of the dealers I spoke with have internal waiting lists of 20-50 customers and the majority of midwest dealers only get 3 a year! Do the math on that wait time. I did find one shitty dealer in Chicago that had one in stock, oh yeah, price is $15,000 over MSRP. I am a Toyota fan and own two currently, but Tesla and direct sales has really simplified the process.

here in AZ you can't even buy it. Crazy on Toyota's part and I believe intentional to save their legacy gas business. Ask Xerox how that business model worked out ;)

2023 Outlanders start @ $41K MSRP ? I can order now with a 1K deposit (refundable?) 38 mile range!

I might get it if dealer negotiates now that tax credit is gone. I do get military $500

Dealers will ship from CA to AZ.

A saleswoman called Dianne Whitmire who did fleet and Internet was active on PriusChat for years. She arranged a lot of just-over-the-border deliveries.
Don't know if she's still at West Coast Toyota of Long Beach. Last active on PriusChat 12/2021. They're listing one seemingly loaded RAV4 Prime "coming soon" at just under $50k.

If you contact dealers, you might catch one with inventory at the right time, especially if you're not picky about color and spec. My friend called around and eventually found a RAV4 Prime in New Hampshire and drove there to get it. OK, smaller states, but the principle remains.

Reactions: vickh
Dealers will ship from CA to AZ.

A saleswoman called Dianne Whitmire who did fleet and Internet was active on PriusChat for years. She arranged a lot of just-over-the-border deliveries.
Don't know if she's still at West Coast Toyota of Long Beach. Last active on PriusChat 12/2021. They're listing one seemingly loaded RAV4 Prime "coming soon" at just under $50k.

If you contact dealers, you might catch one with inventory at the right time, especially if you're not picky about color and spec. My friend called around and eventually found a RAV4 Prime in New Hampshire and drove there to get it. OK, smaller states, but the principle remains.

Service in AZ is another issue (per dealers here) Also 50K is steep. At that point I'd rather do a used Audi PHEV and give up 3rd row.