Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Best" 3rd party Tesla app?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bro1999

Apr 26, 2016
Maryland
Is there a clear cut "best" 3rd party app? I know several are out there (Tezlab, Tessie, TeslaFi (not technically an app, I know). I'm trying out Tessie's free trial and it seems pretty sleek. Also watched a video review of Tezlab and seems pretty interesting too, though seems to offer a lot of the same features as Tessie.

TeslaFi seems like the all-encompassing data-nerd's dream, but there's no actual app for Android! Any others I'm missing?

Reactions: n.one.one
I guess it depends what you want to do? I use TeslaFi for the data-nerd dream as you say, it's pretty good at that. I was not looking for any control-related services, although there are some controls and scheduling available.
TeslaMate seems like the best open source one you can host yourself, if you're seriously into security and want to roll your own.
Haven't used some of the other apps as they were iOS only, or at least some were, and I'm on Android.

Reactions: queenamydala
I guess it depends what you want to do? I use TeslaFi for the data-nerd dream as you say, it's pretty good at that. I was not looking for any control-related services, although there are some controls and scheduling available.
TeslaMate seems like the best open source one you can host yourself, if you're seriously into security and want to roll your own.
Haven't used some of the other apps as they were iOS only, or at least some were, and I'm on Android.
I noticed Tessie lets you use voice activated commands via Google Home/Alexa/Siri. Being able to open the trunk/frunk or start the HVAC hands-free is certainly something I might fork over money for. Guess we'll see how it goes with the rest of my trial.

I noticed Tessie lets you use voice activated commands via Google Home/Alexa/Siri. Being able to open the trunk/frunk or start the HVAC hands-free is certainly something I might fork over money for. Guess we'll see how it goes with the rest of my trial.
I got Tessie and actually really like the automation. What I thought was something I use once in a while, I find myself using all the time.

I use it through Google hubs (in addition to my phone) and saying "get the car ready" and having it turn on HVAC, stop charging (if it is), unlock charge port, and then open my garage door is awesome. Probably doesn't save me a ton of time, but I really like it.

Tessie was my first app I tried, so maybe I'm biased but I ended up back at it after trying a couple of others.

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
So been playing around more with the Tessie app. I really like the Google Assistant voice-activation features offered. I played around with setting up custom routines in the Google Home app, and now I can open/close the charge port, open/close the trunk and open the frunk with a "Hey Google! Do *action*" voice commands. I'm really digging the UI of the app too.

I can't give a well rounded answer comparing alternatives because I've used TeslaFi from just a few days after getting my first Tesla and it's given me everything I want as a "data-nerd". It would be nice to have Google Assistant integration especially to turn on climate but that's not enough to get me to switch at this point. I do like that TeslaFi makes pretty regular improvements. This thread will be interesting to follow.

So after my free trial ended for Tessie, I decided to subscribe for an annual subscription ($50, $10 savings annually versus $5/month) but after a few days I decided to get a refund and go with TeslaFi. While I very much liked the UI and the features the app offered (and the developer just recently opened up a beta version of the web version of Tessie), the nerd in me won out and I decided to go with TeslaFi's data-heavy service. Not having an actual app is a bit of a bummer, but there is always the free Tesla app. Plus I could never get the voice commands to work to my liking with the Tessie app (could be my phone just sucks though).

Overall, both services are very good and you probably can't go wrong with either. I just decided to take TeslaFi's data over Tessie's appealing UI and app.

I apologize for reviving an old thread but I'm curious if there are any updated thoughts on 3rd party apps since this was originally posted in 2021. I'm just doing some homework now while I wait for my MY.

Our family uses both Apple (phone, tab, watch) and Google (nest hub, nest home, phone, tab) devices so we are pretty flexible in that sense. I would like to be able to say "hey google start the car" as we're finishing up breakfast since we have a nest hub in the kitchen but could easily use siri if that works better. I don't necessarily need the data nerd aspect of it although I wouldn't be against it either.