Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best 4 Bike Rack

deepakti

Jun 2, 2021
Boston
Hello
I see few bike rack threads but not sure they talk about the 4-Bike Racks. I have 4 bikes and just bought the Model Y and want to see which one best suites for the "Y". I see tesla one but i read some reviews here that they might not be the good ones. Can someone please advise which are the few bike racks i can buy for the car, some are out of stock :). Allen 4 bike rack? How is Thule Apex XT Swing 4?

yourhero

Feb 12, 2021
Toronto
I like my Thule Apex XT 4 (no swing).

Previously I tried a Yakima FullSwing but it didn’t fit very well on the Y and I very quickly decided that the swinging feature was more trouble than it was worth to me. Think about how often you’d use it, i.e., how often it will matter to you that you can access the hatch without removing the bikes, because in exchange for that convenience it adds about 30 lbs to the weight of the rack and it is a much more complicated multi-step process to operate the swing feature whereas it is a quick and easy one-step process to operate the tilt-away feature on the regular rack.

deepakti

Jun 2, 2021
Boston
I like my Thule Apex XT 4 (no swing).

Previously I tried a Yakima FullSwing but it didn’t fit very well on the Y and I very quickly decided that the swinging feature was more trouble than it was worth to me. Think about how often you’d use it, i.e., how often it will matter to you that you can access the hatch without removing the bikes, because in exchange for that convenience it adds about 30 lbs to the weight of the rack and it is a much more complicated multi-step process to operate the swing feature whereas it is a quick and easy one-step process to operate the tilt-away feature on the regular rack.
hello
thanks for quick response. As we all know Thule is out of stock. How about Allen 5 Bike rack for 4 bikes? That is out of stock but letting me order with 1-1.5 month delivery.

SDM44

Aug 9, 2019
Los Angeles
I had the Thule Apex XT 4 as well before, and mostly used it on our Honda Pilot (sold it before getting our Model Y).

It's a decent rack when you only want to carry 1-3 bikes at max, if they're not too heavy. I've loaded 4 bikes on there and you really need to strap everything down so they don't move or wobble while driving, or start swaying back & forth when you're accelerating & braking. Also, I could see the rack flexing quite a bit on the freeway if I went over a bump. IMO, it's a good rack if you want something smaller and compact, and if you aren't carrying a lot of heavier bikes on it. Also, if your top tube isn't high enough to mount onto the rack, then you will need to by an extension piece that goes from the stem to the seat post, and we had to do that with a few of our bikes. Not the most secure method but the only way to fit the bike on the Apex XT.

I've since switched to a platform rack and ease-of-use with it makes it so much nicer & better to use than the Apex XT. The main thing is I can quickly load up each bike and they will not touch either, nor will they move or sway while I'm driving. And the best part, takes me literally 20 seconds per bike with the platform rack, where it took me a few minutes to mount & hang each bike and secure them with some towels in between the bikes so they don't rub (which happened on the very first trip and sure enough my frame had a big nick in it ever since). The bad part about a platform rack is the weight and they stick out further from the car, so the weight distribution with 4 bikes loaded up may seem a bit daunting, so you'll want to make sure you invest in a good quality brand & rack. I'm using a 1UP Super Duty double rack and have 2 extension add-ons for it. It's really heavy with all 4 racks connected (approx 110 lbs), but man is it rock solid on the car. I haven't put the 1UP rack onto my Model Y yet, but I probably will this holiday weekend when we go out riding.

reardencode

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2019
Seattle, WA
It's really heavy with all 4 racks connected (approx 110 lbs), but man is it rock solid on the car. I haven't put the 1UP rack onto my Model Y yet, but I probably will this holiday weekend when we go out riding.
The model y hitch is only rated to 160lbs accessory weight. 4 bikes on a 110 lb rack will far exceed that. Are you comfortable with that? (I have approximately zero overall tow hitch experience, so don't feel comfortable exceeding the rating by much if at all)

SDM44

Aug 9, 2019
Los Angeles
The model y hitch is only rated to 160lbs accessory weight. 4 bikes on a 110 lb rack will far exceed that. Are you comfortable with that? (I have approximately zero overall tow hitch experience, so don't feel comfortable exceeding the rating by much if at all)

If I'm going to carry 4 bikes on my 1UP rack, then I'm not using my Model Y and will use our other SUV since the tow hitch on that extends further along the frame of the car to distribute the weight better (and has a 350lb accessory weight). On the Model Y, the hitch just bolts to the sub-frame right at the rear, so if you put too much weight too far out behind you, it's not going to be strong enough to support it (maybe it can, but I don't want to chance it).

My Super Duty double rack weighs 46 lbs by itself. After adding on some locks & such, it's closer to 50 lbs and my carbon MTB weighs 24 lbs, so I can carry another bike on my Model Y without any issues. When I have everything put together for the 4-bike setup (add-ons, locks, ez-pull lever), then it weighs exactly 108 lbs but I just round it up to 110.

someTimesJoe

Mar 24, 2016
Bay Area, CA
4 bike rack with mountain bikes is too much for the factory tow hitch. I had the same problem with my Model X and ended up changing out the factory hitch to a after market, Draw-Tite hitch that bumped up the tongue weight capacity to 750lbs. I use the Kuat NV 2.0 4 bike on my Model X and when I’m just carrying 2 bikes, I take off the extension and use it on the Model Y. The Kuat is heavy but it’s solid on carrying my bikes.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC