Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Adhesive for Model 3 spoiler?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What do you guys think is the best adhesive to mount the OEM spoiler back on with?

Tesla has re-attached it twice. I'm just wondering because I might take the plunge and try it myself the next time.

It just starts separating at the furthest ( smallest ) points and further separates itself inwards.

• Informative
Reactions: 127.0.0.0
Tesla has re-attached it twice. I'm just wondering because I might take the plunge and try it myself the next time.

Out of curiosity, are they re-attaching the same spoiler or a new one each time ? Mobile Tech here in Northern CA told me they don't even try to re-attach the old one and always install a brand new one. I don't know if this is true or not, it's just what two different Mobile Tech's told me.

They wouldn't even install mine, since I have Xpel PPF on my trunk. They just handed me the spoiler. I watched the dry fitting of 16 rear spoilers and most of them had huge gaps at the ends.

Out of curiosity, are they re-attaching the same spoiler or a new one each time ? Mobile Tech here in Northern CA told me they don't even try to re-attach the old one and always install a brand new one. I don't know if this is true or not, it's just what two different Mobile Tech's told me.

They wouldn't even install mine, since I have Xpel PPF on my trunk. They just handed me the spoiler. I watched the dry fitting of 16 rear spoilers and most of them had huge gaps at the ends.

Good question. I don't know what they do.

All I know is that the moment I get it back...its perfect.

What do you guys think is the best adhesive to mount the OEM spoiler back on with?

It just starts separating at the furthest ( smallest ) points and further separates itself inwards.

Hello,
Don't know if you prep the surface of the car surface, but its recommended to use some type of Automotive Adhesion Promoter prior to installing.
3M promoter.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: Garlan Garner
We do a lot of XPEL wraps at my shop and so we need to remove the factory spoiler quiet often and install it back on after the wrap. I have not seen one factory installed one that sits nice and flush against the trunk. The ends are always lifted. We remove the factory double sided tape and install 3M double sided tape on the complete underside and it adheres and fits better than the factory one.

I installed my OEM spoiler myself. It had the red 3M tape. Clean trunk edge with alcohol, and use heat gun or hairdryer to heat the tape until it wrinkles. Then apply to trunk lid. Then apply more heat or let it sit out in sun.

I know people usually dry-fit the spoiler on the car, and then pull the tabs of the tape off. I didn't do that, since by the time you pull the tabs, the tape has cooled off. I pulled off the tabs, heated the grey 3M tape until it wrinkled, and then quickly set it down on the trunk lid and applied alot of pressure, and heat. It's still perfect.

Yikes! you sound like you tube influencer 3M dbl. sides tape cant even hold cardboard to cardboard without slippage over a short time.

I don't even want to ask what you were doing trying to hang cardboard to walls. From experience, i've hanged lots of items with 3m tape, vanity glass designs, frames, stuck carbon fiber pieces that i didnt want to drill into the bumper and it stayed in place for over 2 years before i replaced the part. etc.

Let me ask you, what do you think emblems use to stick to your car? Krazy glue? Stop sounding condescending and do some research.

here let me link you.

https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Outdo...01KC08ZE/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_sims?ie=UTF8

We do a lot of XPEL wraps at my shop and so we need to remove the factory spoiler quiet often and install it back on after the wrap. I have not seen one factory installed one that sits nice and flush against the trunk. The ends are always lifted. We remove the factory double sided tape and install 3M double sided tape on the complete underside and it adheres and fits better than the factory one.

@Matte3,

I’m in.., what width 3M VHB due you use for the interior portion of the upper and lower spoiler sections? I’m ripping mine off and reinstalling. Edges are lifting horribly.

Ski

I’ve had similar issues with the edges. I used Heat gun to lift the edges and apply
3M 03614 Scotch-Mount 1/2 x 15' Molding Tape. The molding tape is holding fine since then.

@CrazyBulgarian,

Thought of doing the same on just the edges.....80% of the Spoiler is great, it’s just the edges.....I can apply the slightest pressure and push both sides down but they release and I can see the 3M adhesive stuck to the spoiler base but released from the trunk.
Did you just stick some 3M tape in there....heat gun it and push/hold the ends down and it’s sufficiently holding?
I’ve thought of removing the whole spoiler.....cleaning off the old tape....applying VHB 3M, heat gunning it which the Mobile Tech DIDNT do and reapplying it. But that’s a project in itself.

Ski

I used 3M masking tape to hold the edges for few days. Clean with alcohol wipe under the edge, stick the molding tape, apply masking (leave it for few days) to hold pressure and use the heat gun to help with the adhesion.
@CrazyBulgarian,

Thought of doing the same on just the edges.....80% of the Spoiler is great, it’s just the edges.....I can apply the slightest pressure and push both sides down but they release and I can see the 3M adhesive stuck to the spoiler base but released from the trunk.
Did you just stick some 3M tape in there....heat gun it and push/hold the ends down and it’s sufficiently holding?
I’ve thought of removing the whole spoiler.....cleaning off the old tape....applying VHB 3M, heat gunning it which the Mobile Tech DIDNT do and reapplying it. But that’s a project in itself.

Ski

Reactions: KenC