Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Adhesive for Model 3 spoiler?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you just stick some 3M tape in there....heat gun it and push/hold the ends down and it’s sufficiently holding?
I couldn't get this method to work so I removed the whole spoiler and cleaned everything up and removed the old tape. My buddy owns a wrap shop I'm gonna swing by there and have them assist me with the remount.

I tried to measure equal distance left and right from the trunk lid but that resulted in one edge not sticking well. It seems better to use the natrual shape of the spoiler to set the alignment and not get hung up on the measuring to get it even. That's my takeaway anyway

IMG_0987.jpg

We do a lot of XPEL wraps at my shop and so we need to remove the factory spoiler quiet often and install it back on after the wrap. I have not seen one factory installed one that sits nice and flush against the trunk. The ends are always lifted. We remove the factory double sided tape and install 3M double sided tape on the complete underside and it adheres and fits better than the factory one.
Which 3M tape do you use? Thanks in advance!

For rear decklid spoilers, I have added some silicon adhesive between the tape threads and that has kept all my previous spoilers from ever thinking of coming off or lifting on the ends. The silicon is removeable, but it will be an effort to remove all the silicon from the paint (think eraser wheel), so you should want to have the spoiler on permanently.

I used what's below. It will stick with super strength as soon as it touches so make sure you are lined up right. You will not be able to make adjustments.

The silicone I used to fill the millimeter gaps after so water can't run in off the top of the trunk. I only did the top and sides. It looks perfect. Been on for over a year.

3m uses part numbers for commercial ordering purposes. The only difference between 3m 6384 and 6382 tape is one is 5yards the other 20.

The adhesion promoters are the same also. 4298 is supposed to be.
  • 5 individual packs
  • Same ingredients as 3M 6396 adhesion promoter

Last edited:
Hi! Just bought a used model 3 performance spoiler,

Question:
1. Is it possible to remove minor scratches on it? If yes what do I need? Already tried youtube.

2. Tried my best to remove the old adhesive but there is a sticky layer left, what is the best way to do it without damaging the spoiler ?

3. If I mess up, what is the best way to remove the adhesive and Re apply?

I know it’s a lot but it’s so frustrating, on top I’ve some how caused water pockets on my fingers, tried razor blade and cut myself…. I just don’t know what to do at this point

Thank you all in advance ! 🙏

Hi! Just bought a used model 3 performance spoiler,

Question:
1. Is it possible to remove minor scratches on it? If yes what do I need? Already tried youtube.

2. Tried my best to remove the old adhesive but there is a sticky layer left, what is the best way to do it without damaging the spoiler ?

3. If I mess up, what is the best way to remove the adhesive and Re apply?

I know it’s a lot but it’s so frustrating, on top I’ve some how caused water pockets on my fingers, tried razor blade and cut myself…. I just don’t know what to do at this point

Thank you all in advance ! 🙏
I used WD-40 and rubbing to remove the adhesive and then clean the WD-40 off with alcohol.

You can remove minor scratches but you will end up polishing the spoiler. In other words it won't be a matte finish anymore. It will be more of a glossy finish. I actually like it better polished. That or you can spray it with a can of clear coat.

If you mess up most people remove spoilers with dental floss or fishing line. I haven't had to remove mine though. It feels like it will never come off.

I used WD-40 and rubbing to remove the adhesive and then clean the WD-40 off with alcohol.

You can remove minor scratches but you will end up polishing the spoiler. In other words it won't be a matte finish anymore. It will be more of a glossy finish. I actually like it better polished. That or you can spray it with a can of clear coat.

If you mess up most people remove spoilers with dental floss or fishing line. I haven't had to remove mine though. It feels like it will never come off.
Thank you sir ! I’ll give WD-40 a try !🙏🙏