Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best aftermarket dash strip to replace OEM wood (with pics...hopefully)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have a M3P with black interior. The OEM wood grain dash strip (or whatever it is called) just isn't cutting it for me. What aftermarket replacement/cover-up does everyone recommend? I'm open to carbon fiber or a dark wood of some sort. Links to product, and pics of your ride, would be cool.

PS- It needs to be easy to install.

TIA

I have the black alcantara from RPM Tesla.
B472CCE3-560F-4C60-92AB-088A756B1A33.jpeg

I have the TSportline dash cap but regret not getting the RPM Tesla one. The weave is the opposite direction from the rest of my interior carbon fiber. Go with RPM Tesla’s. I purchase most of my accessories from them. Quality products.

I had purchased the RPM Tesla carbon fiber cap and attempted 3x to install it in my Y. Each time, the ends keep coming up, exposing the wood grain underneath (about 1/8 inch on either side). Tried taping down for a week in good heat this summer, tried removing the end caps all together while it dried, tried removing and replacing all the 3M tape and re-installing. Couldn’t get it to stay. RPM Tesla has been great and refunded my purchase. I’ve used tons of their other carbon fiber stuff and it’s all been great, including the eye pieces for the fog lights, side mirror caps, side camera caps, interior center console caps, steering wheel caps, and the rear splitter. All put on about a year ago and still no issues. Not sure why the dash cap has been so problematic. Even tried to install it in my Model 3 that has the white dash with the same results...This string has been great. I can’t stand wood anywhere inside a modern vehicle, especially a tech marvel like a TESLA. Like having a wooden trim piece on an iPhone to mimic the original phones...silly if you ask me.

I had purchased the RPM Tesla carbon fiber cap and attempted 3x to install it in my Y. Each time, the ends keep coming up, exposing the wood grain underneath (about 1/8 inch on either side). Tried taping down for a week in good heat this summer, tried removing the end caps all together while it dried, tried removing and replacing all the 3M tape and re-installing. Couldn’t get it to stay. RPM Tesla has been great and refunded my purchase. I’ve used tons of their other carbon fiber stuff and it’s all been great, including the eye pieces for the fog lights, side mirror caps, side camera caps, interior center console caps, steering wheel caps, and the rear splitter. All put on about a year ago and still no issues. Not sure why the dash cap has been so problematic. Even tried to install it in my Model 3 that has the white dash with the same results...This string has been great. I can’t stand wood anywhere inside a modern vehicle, especially a tech marvel like a TESLA. Like having a wooden trim piece on an iPhone to mimic the original phones...silly if you ask me.

I had a similar issue with my TSportline dash cap where it doesn’t stay down on the drivers side and you can see some of the wood grain. From what it seems not all Tesla parts are the same in size. What fits on my model 3 doesn’t fit on my wife’s. The only accessory from RPM that didn’t fit right was the new carbon fiber door handle caps. It fit perfect on the rear handles but was completely off in the fronts. I tried several times and even adjusted it without the adhesive and could not get it aligned. The problem seems to be with Tesla and their parts. The good thing with RPM is if it doesn’t fit you can return it if you don’t remove the adhesive backing. If I wanted to drop the cash to have a full dash with carbon fiber installed that would be the best option to get the perfect fit.

Thanks everyone. I looked at RPM Tesla and I don't understand the pricing there. They want something like $799 for it if you don't return your OEM wood one, but $299 if you do. Is that actually correct? Why are they requiring you to send in the OEM strip?

Thanks everyone. I looked at RPM Tesla and I don't understand the pricing there. They want something like $799 for it if you don't return your OEM wood one, but $299 if you do. Is that actually correct? Why are they requiring you to send in the OEM strip?

I’m not sure on the pricing as I haven’t looked at it recently but you would receive a discounted price if you ship your current dash back when you receive the new one. They then use your dash to install carbon fiber and sell to someone else. Basically a credit. They do sell a cap version too which is cheaper but beware as sometimes the wood or white (depending on dash type) may show as all dashes aren’t alike. It’s recommended to do the custom swap with carbon fiber to ensure it looks stock with no gaps. Again it’s pricey but If your going to do it might as well do it right. There’s cheaper options out there but they just won’t look as good. Being as it’s a Tesla nothing would look nicer than real carbon fiber

I have the TSportline dash cap but regret not getting the RPM Tesla one. The weave is the opposite direction from the rest of my interior carbon fiber. Go with RPM Tesla’s. I purchase most of my accessories from them. Quality products.

Thats actually one of the reasons I bought the TSportline dash cap. I liked that the grain was in the same direction as the OEM carbon fibre grain on the model S and X dash. Top left to bottom right. Its also the only CF in my interior so no issue for me.

I have the black alcantara from RPM Tesla.
View attachment 600085

I love the look of the Alcantara dash. I'm not comfortable with the price that they're charging, though. I wonder how much of a pain it would be to purchase the fabric and cover mine myself?

Time passes...

Um, nope. I just looked online and Alcantara is about $250/yd for 56" wide pieces. Yikes!

Last edited:
Lucky you. My RPM Tesla dash cap completely warped and started lifting as well after 6 months. They told me to remove it and reposition it -- ended up removing parts of the wood with the cap. All they offered was to send me some more double sided tape to reattach the (warped) cap... and they never even sent the tape. I'd stay far away from them - I would have loved an offer of a refund as I now have to figure out how to fix the ruined wood dash.
IMG_20200907_120923.jpg
IMG_20200907_120919.jpg
IMG_20200907_120923.jpg
IMG_20200907_120919.jpg
IMG_20200907_120936.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG
Thats actually one of the reasons I bought the TSportline dash cap. I liked that the grain was in the same direction as the OEM carbon fibre grain on the model S and X dash. Top left to bottom right. Its also the only CF in my interior so noI’m afraid the same thing would happen if I removed the TSportline dash cap as well. Not only does it have the 3M backing tape but also some issue for me.

self promoter adhesive. It would rip off a lot of my wood grain underneath. If it could be reapplied and

yeah if i didn’t have any other carbon fiber it would have been fine. However all of RPM Tesla is the opposite direction with the weave. TSportline doesn’t really sell any other interior carbon fiber accessories except for the steering wheel. RPM is decently
Lucky you. My RPM Tesla dash cap completely warped and started lifting as well after 6 months. They told me to remove it and reposition it -- ended up removing parts of the wood with the cap. All they offered was to send me some more double sided tape to reattach the (warped) cap... and they never even sent the tape. I'd stay far away from them - I would have loved an offer of a refund as I now have to figure out how to fix the ruined wood dash.View attachment 601714 View attachment 601715 View attachment 601714 View attachment 601715 View attachment 601716

I feel the same would happen trying to remove my TSportline dash cap. It’s too risky without warping the wood grain underneath. I suppose If you are going to reapply if you won’t see the wood grain anyways. I would continue contacting RPM for the adhesive tape. I know sometimes they miss an email but they should be able to hook you up with some free of charge. The other option is to order the one they’ve installed onto a pre-existing dash which is quite expensive. They also have other finishes. I once contemplated getting the white dash from Tesla which was like $300 I believe. It’s not too difficult to pop off and snap in. I hope it works out for you. Let us know what you end up doing.

In my view the best replacement for the dash strip is the RPM Tesla carbon fiber dash replacement, not the cap. It is a perfect fit since you swap out the dash piece, so no issues with exposed wood/white like with a cap. The piece really does look premium but does come at a premium cost.

The carbon fiber dash replacement is $499 but you do need to send your core in, otherwise you are charged more for it. I know the waiting list is long but if you are patient enough or if you can purchsse from them locally and inspect the products, it's the best option.

Some retailers sell the cap for close to that $500 price and for that RPM would be the no brainer decision, unless I was getting it much cheaper from like AliExpress (then this might be worth the price difference).

I have the full carbin fiber dash replacement for my Model 3 and Y and love it.

Reactions: TBrownTX
I opted to have an artist whose work I love paint my dash strip! :) I never cared for the wood veneer one in my Model 3, and assumed that I'd get a carbon fiber wrap or something like that, but then decided that hey, we enjoy art in our homes -- why not in our cars? :) I had to order the white dash strip and had it sent to the artist (Kay O'Rourke in Spokane) and she shipped it to me after doing her magic. I then had the Tesla Service Center swap it out for my wood veneer one (that cost me all of 15 bucks! :) and I'm keeping that as a loaner. I've already had a guy come and pick it up so that he could make some art on his Model Y white dash strip. You're only limited by your imagination. If you have any artistic talent at all, it's such a low-cost bit of fun to customize your Tesla! :)

Attachments

• TDS_BR_wide.jpg
    TDS_BR_wide.jpg
    582.4 KB · Views: 619
  • TDS_BR_wheel.jpg
    TDS_BR_wheel.jpg
    635 KB · Views: 588
  • TDS_BR_cat_dog.jpg
    TDS_BR_cat_dog.jpg
    570 KB · Views: 516
  • TDS_BR_rocket.jpg
    TDS_BR_rocket.jpg