Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best All Season Tire?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had Pilot Sport AS on my 2019 M3P and they weren’t great. They were a bit squirrelly in the snow and they were LOUD on the highway.

I'm having some Hankook ION EVO AS put on my new 2023 M3P tomorrow. I've got my fingers crossed they handle at least as well as the Pilot Sports but with a significant reduction in noise. The '23 is a lot quieter than the old car, so I'm hoping the new tires will at least maintain that or possibly even improve it a little. Will report back after I've driven on them a bit.

Reactions: XPsionic
I had Pilot Sport AS on my 2019 M3P and they weren’t great. They were a bit squirrelly in the snow and they were LOUD on the highway.

I'm having some Hankook ION EVO AS put on my new 2023 M3P tomorrow. I've got my fingers crossed they handle at least as well as the Pilot Sports but with a significant reduction in noise. The '23 is a lot quieter than the old car, so I'm hoping the new tires will at least maintain that or possibly even improve it a little. Will report back after I've driven on them a bit.
The ion AS doesn't seem to have a tread pattern that would indicate high cornering grip on dry roads. Very interested to hear from your experience with them after you drive for a while.

Reactions: enemji
I got the Nokian Encompass AW01 all seasons as a tire that can legitimately be used in bad snow, but not a dedicated snow tire and the accelerated wear and poor warm-weather performance that comes with it. I don't have the patience or budget for changing out tires twice a year. They are indeed excellent in the snow. They are pretty damn noisy compared to the mxm4 (humming noise at any speed above 25mph), but you get used to it. They ride great and handle pretty poorly (a little squishy), but they are not intended to be a performance tire by any stretch.

All around a good budget tire for a year-round tire that is legitimately good in snow.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2 and XPsionic
Between Conti DSW 06 PLUS, Michelin PS A/S, and Hankook ION A/S, anyone have a recommendation as to what has the least road noise/longevity for daily use? I was planning on getting the Michelin PS A/S, but definitely seeing some +'s for the other two brands.

Another tire that could be added to the list of potential tire candidates is the Goodyear Electric Drive GT. That said, some preliminary reviews I have seen on other threads in TMC indicates that it is perhaps not the greatest for tread life or efficiency, which are two things you really want in an EV tire. I admit I did not even consider that as a choice. But I mention it for completeness sake. Thanks to others for also adding the Hankook tires to the list of possibilities.

The ion AS doesn't seem to have a tread pattern that would indicate high cornering grip on dry roads. Very interested to hear from your experience with them after you drive for a while.

They're certainly a LOT quieter than the Pilot Sports, but I'm not sure I'm going to be a good judge of performance any time soon. The suspension on the newer M3P is awful compared to my old 2019. It's so soft and floaty. I hate it. Thinking about getting it redone, but need to find a shop locally that does Teslas.

Hey guys,

So I own a M3 LR and my current tires (MXM4) are nearing the end of their life. I had horrible experiences with these tires and am looking at switching to another All Season Tire.

I live in Toronto, Canada so we do get a fair amount of snow. I was looking at the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires but what are your recommendations.. (Price isn't a factor)

How about these? These are for Lexus OE

Michelin

PRIMACY TOUR A/S - SIZE: 235/45R18​

• Size:
    235/45R18
  • Service Description:
    94V
  • Load Range:
    SL
  • Eco:
    Michelin Total Performance
  • UTQG:
    540 A A
  • Max Load:
    1,477 lbs
  • Max Inflation Pressure:
    51 psi

I'm getting the Hankook iON EVO AS iH01 tires installed on my 235/35/R20 wheels now. I have a 3 LR+AB with performance wheels and had the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires on them, which were amazing, but got tired of not being all season, especially in Colorado where temps go from 20ºF to 60ºF and back to 20ºF often.

For reference, I test drove a performance Y with Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires, and they were louder than I would like on the highway. Looking forward to how quiet the iON evos will be. I hope it still has satisfactory handling when cornering the mountain roads. Really looking forward to the range improvement!

I got the Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus Elect tires on our Model Y and have been pretty happy with them. Not Michelin level handling, but still more than good enough, so not really complaining. Looking forward to seeing how the iON evos compare. Really excited about all these EV tires coming out.

Michelin is not innovating in the range and quiet ride department, they need to up there game. An excellent handling, quite ride, with great range is a hard unicorn to find. I think Michelin can do it and I hope they get there. So far, their Pilot Sport EV specific tire has pretty a terrible review on Tire Rack. Not a great start for them.

I have had two sets each of Michelin pilot sport 4s, ps4as and DSW 06 Plus. The Continentals are definitely quieter than the PS4As. Surprisingly, the summer PS4 s is the quietest and best riding of the bunch. According to tire rack, the Continental does everything just a bit better than the Michelin. Frankly, I believe it. It just doesn't feel that way when you're in the car. The Michelin has a sportier feel and it gives you a bit more confidence. But, the Continental is definitely better in the snow and slushy conditions. Think of the Michelin as an all-season tire that can handle a very light snow. The Continental is an all-season tire that can handle a medium snow. Just a note, I live in the mountains of the West and it's rarely if ever below 25° f.

I'm getting the Hankook iON EVO AS iH01 tires installed on my 235/35/R20 wheels now. I have a 3 LR+AB with performance wheels and had the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires on them, which were amazing, but got tired of not being all season, especially in Colorado where temps go from 20ºF to 60ºF and back to 20ºF often.

For reference, I test drove a performance Y with Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires, and they were louder than I would like on the highway. Looking forward to how quiet the iON evos will be. I hope it still has satisfactory handling when cornering the mountain roads. Really looking forward to the range improvement!

I got the Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus Elect tires on our Model Y and have been pretty happy with them. Not Michelin level handling, but still more than good enough, so not really complaining. Looking forward to seeing how the iON evos compare. Really excited about all these EV tires coming out.

Michelin is not innovating in the range and quiet ride department, they need to up there game. An excellent handling, quite ride, with great range is a hard unicorn to find. I think Michelin can do it and I hope they get there. So far, their Pilot Sport EV specific tire has pretty a terrible review on Tire Rack. Not a great start for them.
@Mjezzi any update on the Hankooks now that you've had them a couple weeks? I'm most interested in road noise. My relatively new Nokians just went from loud to LOUD.

@Mjezzi any update on the Hankooks now that you've had them a couple weeks? I'm most interested in road noise. My relatively new Nokians just went from loud to LOUD.
Noise with the iONs was ok, a little harsh IMO, might be better on the highway with their zigzag pattern, not sure. The pirelli AS Elects are better in the noise department IMO, they have a more satisfying low tone sound, I like them a lot.

I actually hated the iONs and returned them after doing some aggressively driving for about 50 miles to break them in. I like taking corners quickly and the iON had terrible lateral grip and also didn’t feel nearly enough responsive for quick maneuvering if there’s ever something to dodge on the highway. The lag in turning response felt very unsatisfying. This is highly subjective, so take my POV with a grain of salt, but don’t say I didn’t warn you :)

Last edited:
I have had two sets each of Michelin pilot sport 4s, ps4as and DSW 06 Plus. The Continentals are definitely quieter than the PS4As. Surprisingly, the summer PS4 s is the quietest and best riding of the bunch. According to tire rack, the Continental does everything just a bit better than the Michelin. Frankly, I believe it. It just doesn't feel that way when you're in the car. The Michelin has a sportier feel and it gives you a bit more confidence. But, the Continental is definitely better in the snow and slushy conditions. Think of the Michelin as an all-season tire that can handle a very light snow. The Continental is an all-season tire that can handle a medium snow. Just a note, I live in the mountains of the West and it's rarely if ever below 25° f.
Is there any efficiency difference between the PS4As vs. DSW?

I put 25k miles on my Continental DWS 06 Plus (255/35/20), and the W logo is still visible (though probably will wear through them in 5k miles or so).

They've served me well in the past 2 winters, but 2022 was mild. In the 2 years I've had them they got me through about 6 moderate/big storms driving 30-40mph on the highway, and the dustings were no big deal at all.

Noise is better than the stock Pirelli P4Z, but slightly louder than my Michelin PS4S. If I needed another AS tire I'd buy these again, but I'm now looking to get dedicated winter tires now that I have the PS4S in 275/35/19.

Reactions: TimTam