Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best All Weather Tires for Model Y 20" Induction Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I have owned several luxury cars including a Tesla Model S for many years. But a year ago I feel like I made the mistake of swapping out my S for a Model Y long range with the horrid 20" induction wheels. OK maybe that's not fair. The wheels are fine but the GoodYear tires that the Model Y comes with are absolutely garbage. They barely handle well in rain and they are downright dangerous in snow. Prior to this Model Y, despite living in northern states and the midwest, and having extensive experience with snow driving, I have NEVER had to swap out my tires for a winter tires. But this time around I am compelled to purchase winter tires because the stock tires from Tesla on my MY are the rock bottom worst!!

From my research I have seen that everyone's favorite is the Michelin X-Ice Snow, which is fine and has good reviews and if all else fails, I will go for this tire.

But going back to my 'past life' experience of never having to swap out winter/summer tires --> can you all recommend some solid all season tires for the 20" induction wheel that would work well all year round on my Model Y including in snowy conditions? I am just trying to go for an option wherein I won't have to go through the hassle of swapping 2x a year.

I greatly appreciate your recommendations and thank you in advance for your response to this thread.

Reactions: Daekwan
For the 20" Induction wheel in OE tire size is 255/40-20 101Y there are a couple of good all-season tire choices including:

The Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 is one popular option (premium price.)

The Vredestein Quatrac Pro Grand Touring All Season is also popular (this tire in 20" for the Tesla Model Y is currently back ordered on Tirerack's web site.) This tire is sold out for a reason; it performs very well on wet roads and costs 1/3rd less than all season tires from Michelin, Pirelli or Continental (probably because Vredestein does not spend the same on advertising as the other brands.)

For the 20" Induction wheel in OE tire size is 255/40-20 101Y there are a couple of good all-season tire choices including:

The Vredestein Quatrac Pro Grand Touring All Season is also popular (this tire in 20" for the Tesla Model Y is currently back ordered on Tirerack's web site.) This tire is sold out for a reason; it performs very well on wet roads and costs 1/3rd less than all season tires from Michelin, Pirelli or Continental (probably because Vredestein does not spend the same on advertising as the other brands.)
Thank you very much. I’ll try to find the Vredesteins and hope I have some luck. This name keeps coming up and sounds like it might be a perfect fit for me who doesn’t want to keep changing tires twice a year

Curious to understand where did you end up finding them? Was it tire rack or a local shop?
I got them from Tire Rack, I'm going on a couple years with them .. got them right after the first winter using the Goodyears, it was a couple months wait back then, but not sure if it's improved or regressed since for the wait.

Going to get them again once worn a bit more. They were night and day against the Goodyears. Especially in snow.

I just put a set of Bridgestone Alenza AS Ultra on mine (275/40/20) and have been very happy with them so far. In terms of wet/dry performance and noise/comfort they are much better than OEM. I haven't had a chance to test them in the snow yet, but I'm sure they are similarly mediocre as most all-season tires in this department :)

Reactions: Daekwan
I just put a set of Bridgestone Alenza AS Ultra on mine (275/40/20) and have been very happy with them so far. In terms of wet/dry performance and noise/comfort they are much better than OEM. I haven't had a chance to test them in the snow yet, but I'm sure they are similarly mediocre as most all-season tires in this department :)
What has been your experience in terms of efficiency (Wh/mile) with the Bridgestone Alenze tires?

thank you for your suggestion. I ended up purchasing these Michelins Pilot Sport All Season 4 from tire rack. These seemed to have overall excellent reviews and somewhat decent/good review for snow performance. So I’ll just have to go with these.

I wish the Vredesteins were available but yeah everyone and their mothers have pounced on the Quatracs so slow to react duds like me had no chance of getting my hands on such a coveted product. Hopefully the Michelins serve me well enough.

I feel anything from the current Goodyears is a move up.

For those who installed non-OEM tires, I have a few questions:
- Do you need to transfer the foam (used for sound deadening) from the original Tesla tires? Or you skipped this step? Does this foam really help with reducing the road noise?
- Have you noticed any difference in terms of the range? Some tires (e.g. on Tirerack) are marked for EV use (to get better range?) but I am not sure if that makes any difference in the actual usage.

I would appreciate any responses.

What is the reason you went wider than the stock tires? Does it protect from curb rush a bit better? Any rubbing?

- Do you need to transfer the foam (used for sound deadening) from the original Tesla tires? Or you skipped this step? Does this foam really help with reducing the road noise?
- Have you noticed any difference in terms of the range? Some tires (e.g. on Tirerack) are marked for EV use (to get better range?) but I am not sure if that makes any difference in the actual usage.

You can't transfer the foam liner inside the OE tire to another tire. The liner is glued in place (hopefully for the life of the tire or else the tire's balance will be ruined.)

The foam liner does not reduce road noise. The liner is designed to absorb the resonances within the tire cavity that can sometimes be heard as a boominess. Tire manufacturers have been adding foam sound treatment as a way of reducing the tire boom noises while differentiating their product from other tires.

Tire shops don't like repairing tires with the foam sound treatment liner. Some automotive stores will refuse to repair a tire that has the foam liner. Tire shops also hate dealing with tires where a puncture has been temporarily sealed with a sealant product such as Slime. The cleanup of the sealant takes time and uses extra shop supplies such as mechanic's towels. The foam sound treatment foam liner can interfere with the sealant being able to seal a puncture. So you end up with a tire shop that is not happy to repair your tire (the tire shop is very happy to sell you a new tire.)

It is your choice, you can replace the OE tires with tires that also have a foam sound treatment or else get the tires you want even if there is no foam sound treatment. Tests have shown that the difference with and without the foam treatment is measurable, audible under some conditions. In actual use your ears may not be that sensitive to the difference in the noise from inside the tires when the foam is present versus a conventional tire without foam sound liner.

A tire that does not have the foam liner may be able to be plugged or patched as long as the puncture is located in the center part of the tire tread away from either the inner or outer sidewall. If used, tire sealant may be able to temporarily seal the leak until the tire can be repaired.

Last edited:
Reactions: BitJam and DimaCA

I previously replaced the OEM tires on my Model S but never bothered to do anything about the foam and never noticed a difference. And I’m a very “notice a difference/finicky kinda” guy. So hope that helps.

Also idk about the “EV” tires and to me it screams of a marketing gimmick. I mean I would imagine that whatever Tesla puts as stock has got be as “EV” as the tires can get for my Model Y. But given that they are completely garbage and dangerous in any slick conditions especially in snow, tells me that the “EV” criteria they used for range and road noise etc made the Goodyear tires a colossal epic fail in terms of snow performance. So that’s why I’m now willing to sacrifice a bit of range and acoustics for a tire that’ll hopefully work well for me throughout the year.

Reactions: Daekwan and DimaCA