Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best All Weather Tires for Model Y 20" Induction Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the reason you went wider than the stock tires? Does it protect from curb rush a bit better? Any rubbing?

Mostly for looks and the extra sidewall for comfort. To clarify, I have a MYP and replaced the 21" Uberturbines with 20" TSportline wheels, so not a direct comparison to MYLR 20" OEM setup. My comment was mostly just to throw out another quality tire option for folks to consider :)

Reactions: Daekwan and DimaCA
What has been the approximate percentage increase in consumption?

I got the wheels/tires swapped out after only ~200 miles so not really much of a control data set to compare against, and I also didn't take note of any numbers then either since I'm not particularly concerned with efficiency.

That said, after about 1k miles my lifetime avg wh/mi is currently sitting at 307. Worth noting is that a lot of this is interstate mileage where I'm driving 75-80 mph on average. As another point of reference I had a quick ~3 mile drive earlier this afternoon with avg speeds around 40ish and registered 268 wh/mi for the trip.

I got the wheels/tires swapped out after only ~200 miles so not really much of a control data set to compare against, and I also didn't take note of any numbers then either since I'm not particularly concerned with efficiency.

That said, after about 1k miles my lifetime avg wh/mi is currently sitting at 307. Worth noting is that a lot of this is interstate mileage where I'm driving 75-80 mph on average. As another point of reference I had a quick ~3 mile drive earlier this afternoon with avg speeds around 40ish and registered 268 wh/mi for the trip.
Do you know, what is your lifetime Wh/mi or the PMY too new?

Ugh I wish I’d known ☹️☹️ I’ll still call and see if I might be able to return the tires I got from tire rack
I suspect you'd be very happy with the Michelin PS AS4's. Excellent in the rain (no snow experience), great grip and ride and reasonable range hit which I estimate at 10 percent with 10K miles. Wh/mi was 267 with OEM Goodyears, now running around 300.

Reactions: Daekwan
That’s a pretty big drop in the range - 10% just from the tires. Is that a typical number?
From what I've read here I believe that's typical. Improved grip results in more rolling resistance generally and though not ideal has little practical impact. I've recently completed two 2K plus road trips and the range hit didn't change where I stopped to charge.

Reactions: Daekwan
From what I've read here I believe that's typical. Improved grip results in more rolling resistance generally and though not ideal has little practical impact. I've recently completed two 2K plus road trips and the range hit didn't change where I stopped to charge.
Moreover teslas stock “low rolling resistance” trash tires from Goodyear are downright dangerous in any sort of slick weather in winters. So I’d rather lose some range and feel safe than be riding on tires that are so awful that I have to take my other car out everytime it snows or rains heavily.

We just had our couple first snows of the season and I am shocked how bad the Vredestein Quatrac Pros are - slipping, sliding, and drifting all over the place. Just put CrossClimates on our Pilot and they are great.
Say it isn't so! I bought some in April and just getting ready to put them on in two weeks. Guess I'll find out and report back.

We just had our couple first snows of the season and I am shocked how bad the Vredestein Quatrac Pros are - slipping, sliding, and drifting all over the place. Just put CrossClimates on our Pilot and they are great.

I believe they only sell the 3 snowflake version of the Quatrac Pros on Tire Rack, but you might want to double-check you got the snow-rated ones.

Apparently there are another version All weather that are non-snow rated.

I have done a lot of snow/sleet/ice driving, slipping, slides over years growing up in New England, driving in the sierras with big storms for over a decade and definitely haven't experienced that even on 1+ year old tires. Will let you know in a few weeks how higher tread wear 2+ year old tires do.

I believe they only sell the 3 snowflake version of the Quatrac Pros on Tire Rack, but you might want to double-check you got the snow-rated ones.

Apparently there are another version All weather that are non-snow rated.

I have done a lot of snow/sleet/ice driving, slipping, slides over years growing up in New England, driving in the sierras with big storms for over a decade and definitely haven't experienced that even on 1+ year old tires. Will let you know in a few weeks how higher tread wear 2+ year old tires do.
I definitely got the 3 peak mountain snowflake version.

Reactions: Gaige
thank you for your suggestion. I ended up purchasing these Michelins Pilot Sport All Season 4 from tire rack. These seemed to have overall excellent reviews and somewhat decent/good review for snow performance. So I’ll just have to go with these.

I wish the Vredesteins were available but yeah everyone and their mothers have pounced on the Quatracs so slow to react duds like me had no chance of getting my hands on such a coveted product. Hopefully the Michelins serve me well enough.

I feel anything from the current Goodyears is a move up.

Can you please post some pictures of your car with the PS AS4's on the factory 20" Induction wheels. Im looking for exactly those pictures!!

Thanks!

I suspect you'd be very happy with the Michelin PS AS4's. Excellent in the rain (no snow experience), great grip and ride and reasonable range hit which I estimate at 10 percent with 10K miles. Wh/mi was 267 with OEM Goodyears, now running around 300.

Can you please post some pictures of your car with the PS AS4's on the factory 20" Induction wheels. Im looking for exactly those pictures!!

Thanks!

Still no snow here in Maryland yet. February usually brings some. I did drive to West Virginia and back last weekend. Return trip was heavy rain. My Quatrac Pros were absolutely solid gripping the road. Ride is comfortable and more quiet than OEM Goodyear's. If/when we get snow I will test and report back.