Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best AMP for Wall Connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With 1 vehicle their is no advantage currently to using greater than 60 AMP
80 AMP could be useful in the future if you get a 2nd car and 2nd wall connector as they can share the same 80 AMP
Or possibly a future replacement Telsa will be able to charge at higher rate than the current models do would be the only other reason why 80 AMP could be better.

I went with 60 AMP myself.

Reactions: Duke9th
I'm going to install a Wall connector soon. I have two choices between 60 amp vs 80 amp. Can anyone recommend which amp I should go with?

What car do you have, and do you plan on buying another Tesla anytime soon?

No model 3 can charge from a home charger faster than 48 amps. You need a 60 amp circuit to charge at 48 amps. If you are getting an electrician to install it, and getting a permit, they will need to do a load calculation, so you can not assume that you would be able to install an 80amp circuit (easily) anyway. There is zero benefit for you to install the 80amp circuit, unless you are planning on load sharing with another tesla at some point.

I would plan on the 60 amp circuit (which charges at 43-44 miles per hour). Even with the most narrow time of use plans, you will still have enough speed to charge your commute in just a few hours in the middle of the night, even if you drive 200 miles per day.

What car do you have, and do you plan on buying another Tesla anytime soon?

No model 3 can charge from a home charger faster than 48 amps. You need a 60 amp circuit to charge at 48 amps. If you are getting an electrician to install it, and getting a permit, they will need to do a load calculation, so you can not assume that you would be able to install an 80amp circuit (easily) anyway. There is zero benefit for you to install the 80amp circuit, unless you are planning on load sharing with another tesla at some point.

I would plan on the 60 amp circuit (which charges at 43-44 miles per hour). Even with the most narrow time of use plans, you will still have enough speed to charge your commute in just a few hours in the middle of the night, even if you drive 200 miles per day.

"jjrandorin" Thank You very much for the answer. I've been waiting for my Model 3 that I ordered since the end of SEP. so I wanted to have everything ready when it arrives.

The reason for 80 amp, I'm planing to add a second Wall connector within a year. I don't like having many cables running in my garage.
Is 80amp a good plan for two wall connectors? : )

"jjrandorin" Thank You very much for the answer. I've been waiting for my Model 3 that I ordered since the end of SEP. so I wanted to have everything ready when it arrives.

The reason for 80 amp, I'm planing to add a second Wall connector within a year. I don't like having many cables running in my garage.
Is 80amp a good plan for two wall connectors? : )

Sure, as it would let you charge both at the same time at speeds fast enough to still fit in most peoples "time of use" midnight to 6am plans if you have that concern. I totally get it, as last year I was eager to get my wall connector and stuff installed. I went with a 60amp circuit to charge at 48amps to get the "fastest the car would charge". I originally wanted a larger circuit to future proof, but the electrician said the load calculation said that this was the size that was very easy to retrofit, without possible electrical upgrades needed.

In MA I don't think you will have any time of use discounts as far as your energy consumption. I know I don't with Eversource.

Currently you can set in the car the hour to start charging, a future update coming in a couple of weeks hopefully will allow for you to set the time for the car to finish charging instead which will be convenient if you leave for work roughly at the same time daily.

I'll quote myself from an earlier posting on the subject:

IMO, the HPWC should be wired with the maximum amperage that your home's electrical infrastructure can support. This will allow you to charge at the max possible rate, no matter the Tesla being charged, and also support daisy chaining multiple units, should the need arise (e.g., you eventually own multiple Teslas).

This is the approach I took. I have two HPWC's daisy chained on a 100 amp circuit. While we typically charge at a relatively low amperage, our Model S can charge at 80 amps, which is occasionally necessary if we've been out running around all day and want to return home and charge over dinnertime for a fast turnaround to head out of town that evening for the weekend. Normally, the S and the 3 charge at 30 or 40 amps, since we're not usually in a rush.

This way, you future proof the installation and will never have any regrets about not having an expandable charging system.

If you are planning on a second Tesla then run 100 A (the largest the HPWC will accept). This will allow 40 A for each of two cars charging simultaneously which is less than the 48A each can draw if it be the only one connected. The master HPWC will apportion the power available to each car.

WRT to cost there us a breakpoint at 60A. Larger circuits than that require a lockable disconnect above 60.

There may be questions concerning the total size of breakers in your panels. If you install more than 4 times the main breaker rating (e.g. 200 ampere main breaker is generally OK up to 800 pole-amperes) you may need to prove, with measured data, that you will not exceed the main breaker rating.