Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best and worst parts of owning a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That part invariably makes me laugh. I always help girls into the car after one of my friends hit her head getting in (no injury, but it worried me).
Benefit of the soft top is after I open the door for my wife I'll unclip that side of the top and roll it into the middle. After she gets in I reattach the roof and close the door. For the panties thing I have her leave her feet in the footwell, put her butt on the door sill, then swing her legs together out of the car and then just stand up (only works w/ the roof trick above). With some practice she can do it gracefully.

But even w/ that I nearly always get, "When's the sedan available?"

Last edited:
My wife has me let her out of the car 20 feet from valet...

It's a pretty big negative...

Side note: If you take inventory of everyone's complaints, they are primarily with the Lotus glider.

Recall (keep in mind) that Tesla went to great lengths to try to improve that situation. At great expense they had the door sills lowered to make it easier to get in and out. It apparently required a lot of work to strengthen things since you don't have a roof bar or center tunnel to provide rigidity to the chassis.

Whatever annoyance you run into, Elise and Exige owners have it worse.

We "rehearse" with each new dress in the Roadster. I have also had skirted passengers ask the Valet for assistance up.

And once, on a demo ride, during acceleration, I had the girl's skirt fly up over her head...

I visited the Tesla store while in Chicago and sat in the car. It's low, really, really low. It's disconcerting to get in and the seat is below the door sill. Not easy to get out of either. I can see why women in skirts would have difficulty. Hell, I've driven a Dodge Stealth and RX8 for the last 15 years and I found it difficult enough to be put off by it. Beautiful car, but even if money were no issue and I had the choice between them I think I'd pick the Model S over the Roadster just due to the comfort factor.

The Roadster is a pure sports car, and like all pure sports cars, you have to earn it, including getting in and out, lack of power steering, and the spartan interior. I like it that way ;-), though after a couple of years, getting in and out isn't as much of a problem anymore. I think it's been more than worth it.

Distance from Store

I will have to admit biting my nails a bit about the fact that the closest Tesla store is over 1,000 miles away, but so far so good.

Teslas do need an annual service by Tesla.

A good friend who is a car nut too, said he will not consider the car until Tesla has a location relatively near to us.