Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best and worst week ever

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you turn the claim in to your company or driver #5's insurance? I'm just curious, I always turn the claim in to mine because I don't like hassles but I see a lot of people try to deal with the company who represents the person at fault and wonders why they end up screwed. Assuming you don't live in a no fault state.
I did start a claim with my insurance company. Like you, I rather have my insurance deal with the hassle. I took the car to a Tesla approved body shop. They say they’ll be able to fix the damage. But will probably take minimum 5-6 weeks due to difficulty of getting Tesla parts quickly.

You say car 5 wasn’t ‘lucky’ but reality is that 3 cars were able to stop in time. Alert and following at a safe distance were all that were required to avoid all that damage. I see too many tailgaters. Anyone too close on my tail...I gradually slow till they get message.

Yeah Tailgaters really annoy me as well and I tend to do the same. Especially the one's who think their skills are like Indy car driver level and they leave inches swerving between cars on the freeway. I'm definitely more cautious with my Model 3 as it is brand new.

Yeah Tailgaters really annoy me as well and I tend to do the same. Especially the one's who think their skills are like Indy car driver level and they leave inches swerving between cars on the freeway. I'm definitely more cautious with my Model 3 as it is brand new.
It’s not a punitive thing for me but a safety issue. Don’t wasnt to be hit from behind slow down very gradually. Driver gets message and passes. I cannot change their behavior but only make my drive safer. As added benefit it makes his pass safer too

It’s not a punitive thing for me but a safety issue. Don’t wasnt to be hit from behind slow down very gradually. Driver gets message and passes. I cannot change their behavior but only make my drive safer. As added benefit it makes his pass safer too
That is the action recommended by the Maine Driver's Handbook: wait until there's a passing opportunity, then gradually slow down to encourage them to pass.

Sometimes, though, they're so much more (passive-)aggressive in tailgating than passing. At that point I just try to ignore them.

I did start a claim with my insurance company. Like you, I rather have my insurance deal with the hassle. I took the car to a Tesla approved body shop. They say they’ll be able to fix the damage. But will probably take minimum 5-6 weeks due to difficulty of getting Tesla parts quickly.

So sorry about the damage to your prized possession. Thankfully no one was hurt. My car had an accident on 05/04 and it's still in the body shop for parts from Tesla. I would not hold my breath on the repair to be done so quickly. The body shop said one Model S was with them for 89 days for a minor repair.

likely just anecdotal,
Exactly. B
Seems like a lot of model 3s are getting in wrecks, likely just anecdotal, and on a model 3 fan website.
I would be very wary of making a supposition like this from a few posts on a forum. There are perhaps 20-30K Model 3's out there driving around, many in heavy traffic. And in this case there appears to be no fault by the Model 3 driver. If there wasn't such extreme interest in this car, no one would hear about these wrecks except those involved.

9ADE16E0-FC37-46A5-80F9-0013C42EC7BE.jpeg
Holy crap. Car 5 must have hit hard for you to sustain that much damage from car 3. Ouch. I hope everyone walked away from the accident.
Pic of car 5 and you can see part of car 4’s damage.