TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Best anti-selling of the Model 3 yet - CPO Model S for 35k

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by MXWing, Jun 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

• Like x 2
  2. shrspeedblade

shrspeedblade Member

I went just a while ago to look and many of the best ones had already been snapped up! Still, I wanted to cry at some of the deals available. I wish I didn't want AP2 so bad! :(

I hope this massive effort to move CPO Model S now portends good things for Model 3.

3. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Model 3 with the AP software turned on will run 45k.

Some old Model S configurations, brand new 3's won't have:

85/P85 40k configurations will be faster.
    More storage
    7 Seat configuration

The cars that are gone, you have no idea what the location is, so I *think* there is a substantial delivery charge to get them if they are not local.

If we didn't already have a Tesla, I would have immediately pulled the trigger on a 7 seat P85. Less than half the price of our X - I could live without Autopilot for that.

4. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

Think of it as an opportunity to get on a supercharger powered road trip right away!

• Like x 3
  5. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

And not losing a dollar per mile on that road trip either. ;)

6. Siciliano

Siciliano Member

Yeah I live in NY, and there are a TON of pre-owned S's near me.. including a 2012 P85 with only 40k miles for $43k. It's definitely alluring, but they're now almost 6 years old, none have AP, and most of them are out of warranty.

I'm really itching for the enhanced AP... I'm a pretty big tech geek, so I have to have it :D And I like to have the newest possible tech overall, so that greatly lessens the temptation.

• Like x 1
  7. Runt8

Runt8 Member

Considering how many problems the earlier ones had, and being out of warranty, really would make me nervous.

• Like x 5
  8. harrismoe

harrismoe Member

They do seem like a good deal but the 2 year warranty seems iffy. I feel like I've made it this far, I need to at least see the reveal in hopefully July before even considering a non-AP car.

• Like x 3
  9. flamingoezz

flamingoezz Member

not to mention that insurance and maintenance costs are sure to be higher on a Model S than a Model 3.

10. anticitizen13.7

anticitizen13.7 Enemy of the Status Quo

Wow, these pre-owned Model S are actually within my price range now.

I'm kind of worried that Jawas and Tusken Raiders are going to buy these Model S and roam around the country for free: Supercharging letter from Tesla 8-13-2015

11. WileyTheMan

WileyTheMan Member

Was tempting, but ultimately I want the superior technology.

12. internalaudit

internalaudit Member

The S will not fit inside our garage with the stack of tires in front of it.

Model 3 it is (if at all)-- hopefully more tossable with the AWD.

13. ChrgdTeCHick

ChrgdTeCHick Member

These prices are crazy low, but the 2 year warranty is rough. Wouldn't be bad if the cost for repairs weren't so high outside of warranty. But there are some under 40k miles under $40k, but that big of a price savings with the main difference 2 vs 4 years... Something else is going on. Maybe cars with known issues?

14. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

What problems are you referring to? The only one I know of is the drivetrain replacement and that has an 8 year infinite mile warranty so it's not out of warranty on any of those vehicles.

My early 2014 S has been a rock solid build. It's coming off of warranty next year and I won't be buying the extended warranty since I've had so few problems.

Two words: Model 3.

Once it's out, which is not too much longer, Tesla is going to have a real hard time selling those older Model S vehicles, and the value of a 2014 non-AP S like mine will drop even further. Tesla is keenly aware of that which is the reason for these prices. This is the "known issue" and it has nothing to do with the particular vehicles being sold, at least in my view.

• Like x 3
  15. internalaudit

internalaudit Member

Why would resale value drop on your Model S if it's unproblematic? What would the Model 3 provide that your S won't besides the size and AP 2.0? I think in Canada, prices of used CPO's are still too high.

If I owned a S, I would replace it with a 3. Maybe supplement it but not replaced it. I would already have had such a big depreciation hit and I'd rather drive it to the ground especially if it's been trouble-free.

I know some want to change cars every 3-4 years but I like to keep my cars longer since it's too costly to be leasing them.

16. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

CPO prices are too high in Canada. But I can tell you that the price they are selling them for is much higher than Tesla will offer you on a trade-in, so it's not like my vehicle is worth anything close to what they are asking. I also could never get the same prices they are asking if I sold privately.

But that's to be expected since resale value on any luxury vehicle drops like a rock right after you drive it off the lot. I got mine in the Spring of 2014, before AP was released in Sept of 2014, so my vehicle took an even bigger hit. But it doesn't concern me since I don't look at my vehicle as an investment but a depreciating asset -- and I still really look forward to driving my vehicle every day.

I plan to keep my non-AP, large frunk, 80 amp chargers, free supercharging, "classic" model S for years to come. It's been a great, solid vehicle. Given all the trips I do to my cabin, supercharging half way, and the price of gas in Canada ($1.30+ litre here) my vehicle continues to become a little cheaper each day.

But I'm also really looking forward to adding a smaller, zippier, Model 3, with the latest in AP hardware. Then it will be bye, bye, ugly duckling Nissan Leaf (although you did grow on us). I just don't know how I can let my kids drive one of the Teslas instead of the Leaf. That's going to be the hardest part. I might just keep the Leaf around as a beater car for them.

• Helpful x 2
  17. Booga

Booga Member

Not worth it for me. I specifically want a Tesla for the AP2 hardware, and given that I have no need for a larger car, why would I deal with much higher mileage when a new Model 3 can be had for the same price?

18. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

That's probably why we see Tesla clearing them out, although a Model 3 with AP will likely be more expensive. Then again, with the EV rebates down south on new vehicles, perhaps not. We'll have to wait and see but Tesla is not taking any chances on being stuck with a lot of inventory of older vehicles, which tells us something.

19. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

You seem to not know what an Early Model S is.

2012 - early
    2013 - early
    2014 - not early. :)

By 2014 Tesla had revised so many things on the Model S. Nearly everything had changed vs the first 2012.

Take a look at Model S - Options by Year - Tesla Motors Club Wiki and keep in mind for every change documented there Tesla changed dozens if not hundreds more behind the scenes (more reliable parts by switching entirely or by revisions). Seperate threads exist for battery pack revisions, motor revisions, etcetera.

Just off the top of my head I'd say:

2012 - early = suspension not finalized (alignment/wear issues), no parking sensors, no folding side mirrors (or maybe just not powered), first gen door handles which were problematic (failed often). Original 12v battery failed more so than current 12v (not that Tesla has ever totally fixed this issue but it was worse with the original part).

I honestly don't know where to divide 2013. That year had a lot of flux, probably worth breaking that out by quarters with the trend getting better as the year went along.

20. ChrgdTeCHick

ChrgdTeCHick Member

I would agree except I don't think the cost differences reflect this.

For example does $11k more between these two add up to the differences between these two cars...? The VIN's certainly show a big difference in "age", and the warranty is 2 years vs 4, but.. $11k?

Attached Files: