Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best AP1 MX dashcam?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have tried 2 different cams and hate the size, placement and/or power cable strewn through my cabin. I'd like to have something without a screen, and that can just recharge instead of needing to be plugged in constantly.

Suggestions?

I use a BlackVue 590W with rear camera option. It was the best I found out there that supports a supercapacitor for power, option for parked video, and handles the Florida heat well. It does exactly what it says it does and doesn't complain. Not super small and I don't have an X so can't comment on its obscurity with that crazy windshield, but the front one hides behind the mirror on my truck so I can't even see it and the rear one is small enough that I don't complain. It's not the cheapest but with Black Friday coming up...I'm sure you can find some deals. It does have an option for GPS though I don't have that in mine. If you wanted GPS (I figured the passing scenery would be enough for me) then I would probably look at another one with built-in rather than a plug in option.

Something like this bundle:
https://www.amazon.com/DR590W-1080P-Front-Micro-Hardwire/dp/B07G5NFNS6/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3DJCQDKTZZ1ZO&keywords=blackvue+590w+2ch&qid=1572994759&sprefix=blackvue+590w,aps,189&sr=8-4

I use a BlackVue 590W with rear camera option. It was the best I found out there that supports a supercapacitor for power, option for parked video, and handles the Florida heat well. It does exactly what it says it does and doesn't complain. Not super small and I don't have an X so can't comment on its obscurity with that crazy windshield, but the front one hides behind the mirror on my truck so I can't even see it and the rear one is small enough that I don't complain. It's not the cheapest but with Black Friday coming up...I'm sure you can find some deals. It does have an option for GPS though I don't have that in mine. If you wanted GPS (I figured the passing scenery would be enough for me) then I would probably look at another one with built-in rather than a plug in option.

Something like this bundle:
https://www.amazon.com/DR590W-1080P-Front-Micro-Hardwire/dp/B07G5NFNS6/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3DJCQDKTZZ1ZO&keywords=blackvue+590w+2ch&qid=1572994759&sprefix=blackvue+590w,aps,189&sr=8-4
Thanks. I like this model, but it's going to have the same problem with all of the glass and wires. I don't really want to have something professionally installed, as most places don't have any experience with the MX. It looks like Garmin makes a wireless one that has decent reviews. I might have to give that a try.

That's a good point on the X. Doesn't the rear-view camera have wires running straight back in the X? Why couldn't you hide the wires in there? I would have two wires (12V power and rear view cam). My truck has something similar to hide the rearview mirror wires and I was able to hide them both in there. Tight fit but they fit. I obviously have not done that in an X so if it's painfully obvious to an X owner that is not possible, I apologize.
I not sure I would want to be messing with batteries all the time (especially if you want parking protection), and doesn't the Garmin have a screen too?

I hear you about not wanting to have wires run everywhere. It is unfortunate you are not willing to either perform the installation or hire a professional because it opens up a lot more options for you.

I personally use the Blackvue system as well. It can be installed to be very out of the way and hide all wires with a little effort. I had mine done professionally and they tucked in the wires in the auto-pilot channel that runs down the front of the windshield.

It is not cheap though. It runs about $425 for the 2 channel 4K camera. But I like that I can drive into my garage and the wifi in the unit connects directly to my home network and I can run a program on my home server to automatically download and archive all the video footage automatically.

BlackVue DR900S-2CH with 16GB Micro SD Card | Power Magic Pro Hardwiring Kit Included | WiFi GPS 4K Recording CLOUD Connectivity

I use a 512GB micro SD card, that is designed to be used in extreme temperatures, since it can get hot in the car and damage the memory if not rated for those temps.

Samsung 512GB 100MB/s (U3) MicroSDXC Evo Select Memory Card with Adapter (MB-ME512GA/AM)

Instead of the factory mount for the camera, which will work for most people, I spent the extra money for a good mount that works on the rear-view mirror bracket by blend-mount. I did not want anything sticking to my windshield.

THat has to be ordered from Blendmount or the Dashcamstore.com (which was cheaper) and you have to select the specialty one with specifics for your car to get the right hardware for the Model X.

But the results are stellar. It is tucked well enough under the AP camera and behind the rear-view mirror. The cables are all hidden, and I get very good view both front and back. It was worth it for me to get the added visibility in the event of being rear ended (my only accident in 30 years was from being rear ended).

I don't have any pics handy at the moment, but will try to post some later.

image.jpg

DIY, wires inside windshield wire conduit, other wires run inside head liner and wrap with cloth electric trap, in case the wires rub or create sound when going over bumps

front camera from left.jpg front camera from right.jpg 3d printed mount.jpg rear camera.jpg Here is mine.

One shot is using a 3D printed plastic replacement cover for the rear-view mirror. Did not fit very well, and also was way to far back under the self drive cameras, so saw the camera's shroud on the video. Horrible positioning.

The others are the front camera from left and right using the Blendmount which attached to the arm holding the rear-view mirror. Very well made mount and very sturdy.

the final picture (sorry it is blurry) is a shot of the rear camera, which is mounted using the included window sticking mechanism. It is nice and high that you cannot even see it unless you crane your neck. All wires are hidden by running them in the existing conduits and wire guides.

Since the Blackvue 900s is wifi, it connects to my home network as soon as I pull into my driveway. My server has a script that runs every few minutes and checks for the latest videos and copies them to my server. I love that. Also has cloud capability if you pay for it and have a mobile wifi hotspot. I don't pay for the cloud capability, but could use my phone as a hotspot if needed.