Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Audio Quality and Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also have driven nearly every version of MS and MX with every audio configuration and battery (I was given an endless stream of loaners while my car was being built) and it seems that every system, in each car is different and requires different EQ .

I tune rooms And top audiophile systems for CES and RMAF and T.H.E. Show Newport Beach , and also can do an amazing job with car audio parametric EQ. I can tell you that it makes a huge difference when speaker manufacturers match drivers and levels on their speakers to .5db or better. Chapman Audio Systems discards a fairly high percentage of their drivers, and SCAN SPEAK of Denmark has some of the better QC and consistency amongst drivers . There are better (like Accuton which laser drills their drivers to balance the cones) but its pretty easy to hear large inconsistencies from Tesla to Tesla (But when it comes to dimensional consistency I saw this measuring machine that keeps the dimensional sizing accurate to thinner than human hair - measured by robots) so Tesla is about accuracy and consistency but the audio system is many orders of magnitude away from this.

So while I had planned to post my EQ curves, I decided it was pointless.

Come on, do show!

I'm quite curious to see if there's anything there that would indicate why the mid-range in the Model 3 so poor. The bass and the highs are tolerable, but in-between it's quite meh. Strings and voices sound quite muddled compared to say the mid-range Burmester in Mercs or even the mid-range Bang & Olufsen in Audis.

If I ever get over my endless stream of issues and manage to keep the car, I think I'm going to have to rip the interior apart and have a bunch of dynamat or such laid inside the panes to quell the rattles everywhere. If I do that, I might as well look into upgrading the speakers while I'm at it.

If any of you know of any decent option that would improve the mid-range clarity, please post your suggestions here.

Thank you!

Jag... this is a thread in the Model 3 forum, but you are talking about problems with your Model X sound?

Have you listened to the sound system in a Model 3 ?

@TEG
Yes I did hear Model 3 which did sound better than Model S and X. It also played perceptively louder ( smaller interior cabin too).

And all the loaner vehicles I had, I never was really sure how long I was going to have the car. So I would adjust all the EQ and balance settings to suit for the best possible soundstage with clarity impact and timing of transients .

It was interesting because I did finally come upon a combo for my own MX90d which was significantly better... to the point my GF said " what did you do ! Did you change something (meaning speakers ). However in this case I did use a better recording which could more easily showcase the differences in sound. Look, if you play Nine Inch the car , you won't be able to discern much at all except loudness changes, and it would be exceedingly difficult to tune a system for optimal performance using music tracks that are poorly recorded, have phase issues, poor microphones, bad mastering etc etc.

I can say this, after some careful tuning, I was able to discern background singers, back up vocalists distinct in the sound stage, better percussive impact, and improved sound stage. Interesting to note as like most good adjustments they help with all recordings and are not recording specific, or specific improvements ONLY to a certain studio, mastering engineer, music label, artist, genre etc.

Was it good, yes sorta...most people would have been happy with it as many have not heard much better in a typical stock car system (though there are many better stock car systems currently out there) and I'm not even counting upper level systems, for instance the base system on the new large Cadillac s is better) was it great..not really for an audiophile but it was the best that could be achieved with that existing car system, I used FLAC and a USB stick. Slacker IMHO is just annoying for its sound quality... you know a system is bad when you listen to podcasts and talk radio instead of music, because if the music doesn't give you joy subconsciously, you'll opt for something else.

Last edited: