Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Bike Rack for Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you get the bike rack ? Curious to know what your experience has been with it.

It has been working well for me...much easier than my previous rack. You still have to use some ties to secure everything but I get all the bikes to fit without the pedals jamming into the other bikes

Attachments

• IMG_2627.JPG
    IMG_2627.JPG
    713 KB · Views: 616
Reactions: J__T and masam
It has been working well for me...much easier than my previous rack. You still have to use some ties to secure everything but I get all the bikes to fit without the pedals jamming into the other bikes

It's probably too late for us, but ... 1upusa just announced a new 2017 model: lot's of new features, cheaper, and:
30% lighter (apparently they're not done measuring, so that's approximate).
Doh! :mad:

I am still within the return policy? But what is the weight? It still seems the cost would be around $700?

I'd suggest you call them since it depends on whether or not your going super-duty and the product is shipping in December,
but the normal rack with 2 add ons, if 30% drop in weight is true, is:

(23 lbs + 18 lbs*2)*0.70 = 41 lbs for three bikes.

So: significantly lighter, but I will wager a 4-bike version will still be a bit heavier than yours.

I'd suggest you call them since it depends on whether or not your going super-duty and the product is shipping in December,
but the normal rack with 2 add ons, if 30% drop in weight is true, is:

(23 lbs + 18 lbs*2)*0.70 = 41 lbs for three bikes.

So: significantly lighter, but I will wager a 4-bike version will still be a bit heavier than yours.

Will do! The weight is most important, I want it around 45 pounds for the 4 bike version. The old one was about 80!

I am trying to find out if getting the normal rack with 3 add ons is cheaper or lighter compared to the heavy duty solution

Will do! The weight is most important, I want it around 45 pounds for the 4 bike version. The old one was about 80!

I am trying to find out if getting the normal rack with 3 add ons is cheaper or lighter compared to the heavy duty solution
They've gutted their site of previous information, but the older racks would only allow 2 add-ons max so you'd have to get the dual base rack and 2 add-ons to get 4 bikes.

Originally the heavy duty racks were only needed for heavy bikes like ebikes and came in 1 or 2 bike versions, but it looks like now they have only 1-bike regular racks or 2-bike heavy duty. I got a heavy duty base for the 2" attachment, but otherwise I didn't need it for the bikes I might carry.

There is also a new heavy duty add-on that adds 2 more bikes. I still like the option to add them one at a time for flexibility, but I wonder if the total distance from the hitch will be better with the new 2-bike base and 2-bike add-on. compared to the old base + 2xsingle add-ons...

• Informative
Reactions: K-MTG
I just picked up a Kuat Transfer 3 and it seems to be pretty solid option. I didn't want to spend too much since we don't ride that often. It's available as a 2 or 3-bike version and the mounting system does not touch the bike frame. There's no add-on option for additional bikes. The 3-bike rack that we have weighs 52 lbs and you can tilt it down for easy access to the liftgate when the bikes are on. The best deal I could find was from outdoorplay using a 10% coupon code (WIN10) for ~$331 total.

IMG_0056.jpgIMG_0051.jpgIMG_0054.jpgIMG_0070.jpg

Reactions: goneskiian
I just got the Allen Sports Premier 4 bike carrier. Not a super high end rack, but it works great on the X, and it's cheap. $140 normal price, Amazon seems to have them "used" for sub-$90 all the time. It does tilt down, but the rear hatch will open and doesn't hit it so no need for it to move or hinge sideways. Which means the sub-$100 deluxe also probably works too.

Amazon.com : Allen Sports Premier Hitch Mounted 4-Bike Carrier : Automotive Bike Racks : Automotive
Is there a lock to lock the rack to the car?

Did anyone get the Quick Rack Mach 2? They claim it's better than the original but it is also sold out, which is odd since I was on their mailing list and never got a notice it was for sale.

Quik-Rack Bike Racks

I'd love to see if anyone had (most important hope: it's much lighter, the rest is "show me"), but: buyer beware.

1up-usa.com and quick rack appear to be at war with each other, and they are dragging their customers into it by making the names and websites very confusing.

The former company still sells the readily available original.
The latter is the prior owner doing his new-yet-oddly-familiar thing, and was slated to go to market right about now.

I'd love to see if anyone had (most important hope: it's much lighter, the rest is "show me"), but: buyer beware.

1up-usa.com and quick rack appear to be at war with each other, and they are dragging their customers into it by making the names and websites very confusing.

The latter is the prior owner doing his new-yet-oddly-familiar thing, and was slated to go to market right about now.
I agree. This smells like a war that we are the unwilling participants in. Also I find it odd that he never really stated he was taking orders (I was supposedly on the alert list but never got an email). Now suddenly he is out of stock?

I suspect some legal ramblings are going on in the background but have no evidence of this. It just does not pass the "sniff test".

The company address is the guy's house on an acreage in Wisconsin. Pretty sketchy.

Are you still using this? How is this holding up for you?

I am looking to get the Tesla bike rack with the $500 accessories credit. However it looks like there are better solutions for cheaper.

After researching all the options y'all mentioned, I finally decided to go with a Kuat Transfer 3 (for 3 bikes, not expandable). A local bike shop (SunCycling in Coconut Grove... I try to buy local) was willing to match the 10% discount available at OutdoorPlay.com, and it seems like a great rack upon first impression. And for $350 net, it seems to be the best bang-for-your-buck available within the high-quality group.

I was tempted by the Roadmax rack for $230 (Amazon pricing), but was eventually swayed by the perception that the Kuat will be more of a pleasure to own and use and will last for a much longer time, hence justifying the cost difference.

And as a quick update, yesterday my son and I put the Kuat Transfer 3 together and loaded up the bikes for our first "away" ride. While of course putting this rack together took us a good long time and a fair amount of elbow grease, the build/product quality is excellent and I was very pleased with everything: product, tools, even the instructions. Crystal clear. (Of course I do recommend using your cordless drill for all the screws instead of doing it by hand, but for his sake I wanted us to do it the hard way.)

Using this rack is indeed a pleasure... getting it on and off the car takes only 10-15 seconds (takes much longer to setup/remove the hitch), and getting each bike on and off the rack is again just 10-15 seconds. A pleasure to use and I'd happily buy the same rack again.

• Informative
Reactions: Porfiry
After an exhaustive search and utilizing several different racks from Thule, Kuat, 1-up, and Yakima I decided on the Thule T2 Pro XT 2 (Black). To be fair, I owned a Thule 916XT T2 prior to the current rack so my familiarity with the brand and use history played a factor. The NV 2.0 was at the top of my list from an aesthetic and functionality standpoint, but after comparing the two I felt the T2 Pro XT 2 provided a little extra functionality out of the box. Namely, I didn't have to buy a fat tire adapter kit for the Thule and I liked the Hitch release system on the Thule a bit better than the release system on the Kuat. The Yakima Dr. Tray is fantastic and honestly rivals and exceeds the Thule and Kuat in some regards. It's 34lb weight is also appealing given the weight limitations of the MX when using the bosal hitch adapter with hanging weight. It wasn't my favorite aesthetically though butted up against the my white MX so I passed. Yes, I know .... I'm that guy :) I wasn't a big fan of the 1-ups lack of advanced security features especially living in Dallas where they steal bikes off racks for sport it seems.

Last edited: