Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

best car hand wash detergent and wax combo for detailing ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

Since I will be bored next few days practicing social distance, I figure probably a good time to hand wash, wax, and detailing my model 3 by myself to kill some time.

What detergent and wax would you guys recommend? (prefer can be ordered from amazon)

thanks

There are lots of helpful posts on this subject on TMC. I'm sure if you search "wash and wax" or "wash and detail", lots of informative posts will come up.

There are also lots of helpful videos on youtube. Here are some from some of my favorite youtube detailers:

It also depends on several factors and how "detailed" you want to get: what kind of wash you want to do (traditional, rinseless, or waterless), do you plan to clay the paint, do you need to correct or polish the paint, do you plan to apply a sealant or wax etc?

So you can either wash the car using an all in one wash and wax soap and be done in 20 minutes, or you can do a multi-step process that can last several hours. Just depends on your needs and preferences.

Here is one option where you can wash, clay, and wax your car in one or two easy steps:

The best? No such thing. Too many out there and most online reviews are biased and have a vested interest of some sorts. I’ve been detailing my cars a long time. I have come to realize the majority work quite well. Very few duds out there. If you follow directions and use proper procedures your car will look good and not any different than any other cleaners. You don’t need to spend a lot of money either.

Reactions: JasontheBeaver
Hello all,

Since I will be bored next few days practicing social distance, I figure probably a good time to hand wash, wax, and detailing my model 3 by myself to kill some time.

What detergent and wax would you guys recommend? (prefer can be ordered from amazon)

thanks

Hi,

It would be really appreciating if i may able to satisfy you with my answer.
Well, Applying Ceramic Pro to your vehicle’s, exterior and interior surfaces will help you maintain a better-then-new look, thus allowing you to maintain higher resale value. Ceramic Pro products are revolutionizing the car care industry, offering protection for paint, alloy wheels, rubber, glass, and leather.

Ceramic Pro is a proprietary formulation of TiO2 (titanium dioxide) and SiO2 (silica dioxide) formulated at the nano-level, giving it superior protection characteristics of hardness and resistance.

would also like Jasons feedback, my car is coated in cquk and gliss and my normal routine is foam (adams mega foam), 2 mitt wash (carpro reset) and leaf blower dry. sometimes i top with reload or beadmaker.

any products im missing that might have better outcome in the 2 mitt or topper phase?

Oops, just checked the OptiCoat website and realized that M Wash has been renamed No Rinse. So to correct my original question to Jason, is OptiCoat No Rinse noticeably better than Opitmum No Rinse?

Also for those of you interested in any OptiCoat product such as Hyper Seal or OptiCoat No Rinse, you have to buy it directly from the manufacturer. These products are not availabe on Amazon or any other 3rd party online resailer.

SHOP CATEGORIES - Opticoat

Oops, just checked the OptiCoat website and realized that M Wash has been renamed No Rinse. So to correct my original question to Jason, is OptiCoat No Rinse noticeably better than Opitmum No Rinse?

Also for those of you interested in any OptiCoat product such as Hyper Seal or OptiCoat No Rinse, you have to buy it directly from the manufacturer. These products are not availabe on Amazon or any other 3rd party online resailer.

SHOP CATEGORIES - Opticoat

M-wash is still around, people use it like the regular old fashioned car wash soap or in foam cannons which I think is a complete waste of time, energy and money.
Yes OCNR is slicker and leaves more polymers behind for protection than regular ONR.
As far as "what's better?"... well that's as loaded as this thread title because we're all different in our expectations, budgets, etc.
Since I'm a professional I have to appeal to all ranges so I always interview and listen to each individual client before making a recommendation. Having said that, SO many people go WAY overboard on their car wash routine it's crazy.
I know some people find it "therapeutic" to spend 17 hours hand washing their car and using every product (Griots Garage, Chemical Guys, etc.) ever invented, but to regular realistic people who maybe don't mind washing their car but don't obsess over it, the OCNR method is perfect. Here is my hand washing demo video.
The thing is about the OCNR method is that it's so easy people think it must not work so they never try it. They'd rather buy all kinds of equipment and chemicals and drag their hose out a make a mess.

Regarding buying Opti's Maintenance line of products, yes they're only available from Opti themselves, or from licensed detail shops like me. They also set the price for all of us, no discounts or specials. But it from a detail shop and you won't have to pay shipping but you'll pay the same price as online. This was done by Opti to help support detail shops. Otherwise it's impossible to earn any kind of profit selling car care products to our clients, but we still have to carry something because so many client request to use what we use, not the watered down stuff all over Amazon, Walmart, etc.

Reactions: joebruin77
Detergent soap will remove all trace of any wax on your paint. If that is what you are aiming for (a fresh surface to wax), then use it. Otherwise, use non-detergent car wash soap.

Once washed, I highly recommend using a clay bar kit to remove any physical contaminants on the paint before waxing.

Opti-coat No Rinse and Hyper Seal are about as easy as it gets. I'm a professional and I do this all day every day. No vested interest if you buy those products or not, just advice from a pro.
I’ve used ONR for years, and nothing beats it! So easy and I don’t know what kind of sorcery is in it, but wiping one panel with a microfiber towel with ONR then drying it with a waffle weave towel has always given me amazing results. Every 3 washes I’ll use the optimum spray wax to coat the car too.

Another huge plus is the water conservation too!

I’ve used ONR for years, and nothing beats it! So easy and I don’t know what kind of sorcery is in it, but wiping one panel with a microfiber towel with ONR then drying it with a waffle weave towel has always given me amazing results. Every 3 washes I’ll use the optimum spray wax to coat the car too.

Another huge plus is the water conservation too!
Just wait till you try Hyper Seal

What would people recommend to dry the car. I have about 40 towels to dry my other non tesla cars BUT I think its time to buy some real drying cloths that won't leave streaks or swirl marks in paint.. Links would be great .. thanks

Best thing is to minimize drying with any cloth if possible. A couple ways to help accomplish this are:
1. Coat/seal/wax your car
2. Use a "flood" method for final rinse. Basically, don't spray/sprinkle water from your hose, let a nice fat stream come out.
3. Give an initial dry with a master blaster/metrovac (or similar tool) or electric leaf blower.
4. Use a "drying agent" on your towel -- this could be a quick detailer, a spray wax or sealant, etc.

Here are some good drying towels you can purchase - you will notice all are microfiber with a lean towards waffle weave:
The Guzzler Waffle Weave Microfiber Drying Towel by Cobra is a better drying towel than a chamois, or terry cloth towel. Microfiber makes the best
Meguiars Water Magnet is a soft waffle weave microfiber drying towel that's softer than terry towels and more absorbent than a chamois. Attracts water
THE GAUNTLET MICROFIBER DRYING TOWEL
DRY ME A RIVER KOREAN WAFFLE WEAVE TOWEL

For glass on the car I think a waffle weave generally works better than a more plush towel.

Technique is much more important than product when it comes to avoiding swirls! The towels you currently have may fit the bill just fine if you follow steps 1-4. Of course it also depends on the quality/material/nap of your existing towels.