Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Car in The Doctor's Lot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And last year was the first to have influenza vaccine required for all physicians--and this year for all hospital staff.

One just has to continuously keep the hospital under pressure to get them to do the right thing.
Unless you are one of the low-risk individuals now suffering the consequences from mass immunization (am aware of claims the specific immune booster was not used in the US)
UK Government accepts swine flu vaccine caused narcolepsy in children

(Anesthesiologist here not satisfied with mandatory medical procedures)

Unless you are one of the low-risk individuals now suffering the consequences from mass immunization (am aware of claims the specific immune booster was not used in the US)
UK Government accepts swine flu vaccine caused narcolepsy in children

(Anesthesiologist here not satisfied with mandatory medical procedures)

There are pros and cons to everything we do--medically and otherwise. Sometimes we have to take a small risk for society's benefit. Immunization has eliminated small pox and polio--and dramatically reduced death rates from other illnesses. Look at the stats from the 1940s on death rates from pertussis, measles, etc. Now all markedly decreased. On a personal note, my daughter almost died of H. flu meningitis at age 15 months before a vaccine was available. Now there is an immunization that is 99% effective. Infectious disease fellows today have never even seen a case of H. flu meningitis. Mass immunization programs help society as a whole--herd immunity and all that--we just have to do it. I wish she had been a beneficiary of that vaccine.

What if we were all individualists? Well, my car was put together at the Lotus Factory in England. So, should I have the right to drive on the left side of the road if I want just like the British? So what if others don't want to, its my choice as an individual!

Oh, public good means we all have to drive the same way? Well, public good is why we have immunization programs as well.

(What? Off topic? I mentioned a Roadster, didn't I?)

I am a Ph.D and hold a MBA degree. I chose Tesla after considering Porsche Cayman as (hopefully) my last car. I have owned 21 cars in the past 37 years, about 17 of them bought new. My son still drives the Prius that I bought in 2000 and I personally drove only one car for over 5 years. I drive the car that is driven by technology. I have traded a car three months after I bought it. Is Tesla Model S my best? Only time will tell; already some of my friends are betting that when a better car shows up, I might exchange my Model S.

What is your prediction about the next technologically advanced, Eco friendly car in the horizen?

That is a great story! Hopefully you don't accidentally condition your patients to associate Tesla with the oh-so-pleasant NCS/EMG experience, which I do hear is rather shocking (mwa mwaaa)

I am an EP fellow with an S, wife (radiology) has a MX reservation. We also have one other radiologist with a new S85 (and many others who have owned stock since the 90s after hearing us unable to shut up about the company and King Elon). I am also proud to report that one of our EP guys just brought home a red P85 from the Dallas service center as well.

What I find interesting is how many radiologists have turned out to be early adopters - I guess it is a tech thing!

In any event, I am happy to hear about the 03 Pilot upgrade - the MS is just so much more choice :) :)

Twiddler, I'm a PM&R doc who does my share of EMG/NCS studies and I have to agree that the MS give me a bigger jolt than any repetitive stim study could... During electrodiagnostic studies, I end up waxing eloquent about TSLA, the Model S, EV's, infrastructure, Elon Musk-- you name it, whenever a patient brings up something even remotely related. It does help distract the patient from the zaps I'm giving them!

There's at least two other MS in our hospital (and a proud Fisker owner) and three other docs (ED, optho and general surgery) in our neighborhood have them, ranging from sig p85s to s85s.

Since getting my own S85 a few months ago, I don't mind driving from hospital to clinic to surgery center to admin meeting nearly as much-- in fact, I look for every excuse to visit another campus during the day...

As a friend of mine said to me, "We were wondering when you were going to get a REAL doctor's car." (What did they have against my 03 Honda Pilot?!)

There are pros and cons to everything we do--medically and otherwise. Sometimes we have to take a small risk for society's benefit. Immunization has eliminated small pox and polio--and dramatically reduced death rates from other illnesses. Look at the stats from the 1940s on death rates from pertussis, measles, etc. Now all markedly decreased. On a personal note, my daughter almost died of H. flu meningitis at age 15 months before a vaccine was available. Now there is an immunization that is 99% effective. Infectious disease fellows today have never even seen a case of H. flu meningitis. Mass immunization programs help society as a whole--herd immunity and all that--we just have to do it. I wish she had been a beneficiary of that vaccine.

What if we were all individualists? Well, my car was put together at the Lotus Factory in England. So, should I have the right to drive on the left side of the road if I want just like the British? So what if others don't want to, its my choice as an individual!

Oh, public good means we all have to drive the same way? Well, public good is why we have immunization programs as well.

(What? Off topic? I mentioned a Roadster, didn't I?)
Dr. Timothy... GREAT line about driving on the left side of the road with your Roadster and individualism vs. the greater good!
Since I have a Roadster and a Model S, may I decide which side of the road to drive on based on my whim at that time?
(there, I now mentioned two Tesla models and even mentioned the word Tesla, car & doctor to make this relevant to this thread).
Here's a 64 second PSA:

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a 64 second PSA:

Well, that sure beats any of my wise-ass lines. I've sent it to the VP of Idiocy at my hospital and to the head of Infectious Disease. They are the ones who have to have to deal with the 'I don't want a flu shot because the sun spots are out of alignment' types.

I wish I had an equivalent video about EV charging for them. Death does trump most other arguments, though.

BTW, with your vehicles you can't drive on the left or the right--you have to drive in the middle of the road! :tongue:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, good morning all.

I'm here in the NYC metro area and just put down my order a few days ago. I'm an eye MD and love tech...i see a lot of cards and rads on this who have loved the car. Although drs love tech, we tend to be very conservative. Do any of you have any regrets on the s85? do you feel you purchased it precociously? i came home and my wife was happy but upset that this will be our 4th car (but my daughter drives a subaru for high school); i just did not want to miss out on all the tangible benefits (tax, nj credit, ez pass, etc).

I fell in love with the car when i drove it and it beat the accel on my other leased car--the porsche pan4s. we do lots of miles as a family so i can justify this, but i feel a little anxiety x 48 hrs with getting in "so early." this drs post made it feel like i was in the drs lounge of our hospital. much easier feeling now and am 99% in now.

for those living in colder or 4-season climates, do you worry about how it will perform compared to a AWD vehicle?

thanks

On Saturdays I frequently see a few postop patients when the office is otherwise closed. In the front lot, it is pretty obvious which car is yours. I am always self conscious to park either of my vehicles there so I always park in back:
My 1993 Chevy 4x4 pickup--- "Wow, how good can this doctor be? Must not be doing well driving something like that...."
My 1997 Dodge Viper----"So that's why my LASIK cost so much!!!"

Hoping the Model S will strike a nice balance and I can park in the front lot .....:smile:

I am a family physician in a small town. So everyone knows it's my Model S in the Parking lot at my office. I did consider what my patients would think as I have gotten (half joking) comments about my previous Lexus IS ("A Lexus huh? So that's where my money is going" and this from a patient that had a motorcycle and 'several' cars).

If I kept my 97 Honda Civic which I had when I started practice in 2006, I am sure patients would think that I must not be doing very well, after all what kind of doctor has a Civic (I actually loved my civic, and my IS).

Some people will always judge you. Do what makes you happy, do what's right for your patients and be smart with your money.

of course i can spell ophthalmologist!!!

eye md is easier for folks to comprehend vs ophth...

i'm looking forward to this car, but i can wait if it gets better...

i still have a lease on a porsche pan4s...

my wife is furious but likes the green aspect of tesla!

let's see what happens,

alsetj

I'm the first at our Hospital with a Tesla, but not for long. A urologist has one on order.
IMG_1711.jpg

Now that's amusing :) I am a neurophysiologist and I am close to placing an order for a Model S. Have to sell my Porsche first to get the necessary funds!

Sold one of my Porsches and have now placed my order for an S85. One of the anesthesiologists I work with is interested in Teslas. He's going to want one even more when he sees my silver/black roof/grey interior show up in the parking lot...