Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Car in the World?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, who thinks that the Model S is the best car in the world?

I do. First let me qualify that a bit...

Some may think that it can't be the best car in the world if the cupholders are bad, or if it isn't crammed with luxury features. To that I say rubbish! For me a car is for driving. I don't care if it has this assist or that assist or automatic this or that or power folding mirrors.

I love motorcycles, and my favourite car for a while was the ariel atom. That probably stopped once I had driven a Tesla Roadster. Right now I'm driving a 3 series without any fancy bells or whistles. I would have gotten ACC, but it wasn't an available option in Canada.

IMO the Model S is the best drivers car in the world. Nothing with an ICE can compare because you have to deal with a transmission. And lets face it, transmissions get in the way of driving. Sure rowing gears can be fun, but a single gear has all of the advantages a manual without you ever having to shift...

Agree/Disagree? I'd especially love to hear from those who agree since many on the forums take every small shortcoming of the Model S to take Elon's statement and poke fun at it.

Obviously this is a very subjective issue.

To answer the question of whether the Model S is the best car in the world, I would say no. We have all surveyed a recent thread in which the resounding consensus was that next to no one would buy the Model S if it were an ICE. So, it is almost crystal clear that what makes the Model S truly unique is the fact that it is an EV with a very advanced drive train and incorporates an incredible amount of technology.

Nevertheless, cars for many people, including myself, serve a very basic and single function: To get me from Point A to Point B, and 90% of the time that is Home and Work. After I am at work, I won't be sitting in my car playing with the console in the AC, enjoying the leather seats and pano roof, etc. The Model S will do a fine job of taking me back and forth between these two points and almost anywhere I want to go comfortably and enjoyably.

There's no question that the aggravation of not having to fill up the tank with gas, change the oil, replace filters, belts, etc. will improve the overall experience of owning a Model S (but not the cost of owning a Model S).

For the speed enthusiast, the Model S will offer very fast acceleration and rocket us to all those 45 mph and 35 mph speed limit zones around town or along winding country roads.

I'm not even sure that I could say the Model S is the best car for me at this time. It borders on a very impractical and expensive decision. Could I do better with an Acura TL? Perhaps. There are many creature comforts that I will be giving up and passing on that I could get with other automobiles.

I'm getting the Model S because it looks fantastic, is a revolutionary concept, it takes away my dependency on foreign oil and it is fun to drive...and for a short time, almost no one will have one...and I will.

I don't think the Model S is the best car in the world. But if the Model S were an ICE w/o sacrificing its performance, I'd probably buy it. It would certainly be on my short list.

The green thing and CA HOV lane definitely factors into my decision. But I wouldn't buy any other electric or hybrid car currently out there. My wife would :) but not me.

We shouldn't be taking the best car in the world thing literally. The true meaning of that slogan is that Elon wants to build a great car that happens to be electric. As opposed to a tolerable car that you're willing to put up with because it's electric.

I think he's succeeded and the early reviews seem to confirm that. The only true compromises on the S seem to be a bit of rear headroom, the range considerations and fewer features. I can live with all of those to get the combination of power & handling, everyday practicality (such as passenger and cargo capacity) and CA HOV goodness. It's a no-brainer really.

I personally think so. That is why I am spending about 4x more than I have ever spent on a car. But "Best Car in the World" is really a title that nothing could achieve because it really depends on what you need. I have 7 bicycles, because they all do something differently, all of them do at least one thing better than the other ones. Cars are much the same way. Here are some other candidates that I think also qualify for "best car in the world".

Nissan Versa Sedan: cheapest reliable transportation
Dodge Caravan: best minivan/7 seater (at least my preference)
Jeep Wrangler: goes anywhere (Even though these have been watered down recently they still do offroad correctly)
Rolls Royce Phantom: greatest ostentatious tacky gratuitous display of wealth

I don't know what constitutes "best", and certainly that definition will mean different things for different people.

Of all the cars in the world, I want the Model S over all others, so I think by definition for me, that makes it the "best" car for me for a lot of the reasons mentioned. Certainly, as noted in an older thread, if Model S were an ICE (or even a Fisker-like hybrid) it wouldn't have the same appeal for me, but I don't see how you take the BEV aspect out of the Model S.

Also, being the best doesn't necessarily make it perfect, but it's closer than any other car out there that I can see, and Tesla has the unique ability to improve the car in many ways with simple software updates/upgrades.

Some may think that it can't be the best car in the world if the cupholders are bad, or if it isn't crammed with luxury features. To that I say rubbish! For me a car is for driving. I don't care if it has this assist or that assist or automatic this or that or power folding mirrors.

Therein lies the root of differing opinions.

For you, the car is all about the driving experience.

For others (and my wife falls into this category) a car is an appliance that gets you from A to B and is as inexpensive as possible. For these people, Model S is seen as a huge extravagance.

For me, I lean more towards luxury than utility or the uber driving experience. The first brand new car I bought at 20 years old was a loaded Chrysler Cordoba. To me, the Model S is a beautiful luxury touring automobile, but is lacking in the amenities that I have become used to. I was even dissapointed to learn the car's HID headlights are not articulating! I think of the Dodge Viper when it came out, and people didn't care that it had a crappy stereo and lacked many "luxury" features because the car was all about brute horsepower and straight line performance. The Tesla Roadster is kind of like that too. Model S, I thought, was supposed to fill a different niche and be that high end luxury car, but with an electric drivetrain. So in that regard, Model S has some work to do before I can crown it "best". Either that or Model S's vision needs to be re-defined.

All good thoughts so far, keep them coming.

Model S, I thought, was supposed to fill a different niche and be that high end luxury car, but with an electric drivetrain. So in that regard, Model S has some work to do before I can crown it "best". Either that or Model S's vision needs to be re-defined.

Tesla consistently refers to the Model S as a premium car. There's a thread or two on what exactly that means, but I figure a premium car is something like a base model BMW,Merc, Audi etc. (eg. it's built well, drives well, but may be lacking some luxury features/gizmo's).

Tesla consistently refers to the Model S as a premium car. There's a thread or two on what exactly that means, but I figure a premium car is something like a base model BMW,Merc, Audi etc. (eg. it's built well, drives well, but may be lacking some luxury features/gizmo's).

Hmmm... I always think of "premium" and "luxury" as synonymous, but I could be wrong. Those cars you refer to are what I would call "premium performance" cars.

Maybe the Model S perfomance, as it is today, is perfect as a "premium performance" car, but they need to introduce a "premium luxury" version that doesn't necessarily have the high performance motor/inverter but does have some of the missing "luxury ammenities".

My configuration will include everything except 21" wheels and the Performance option (and no jump seats - no little kids any longer).

Last edited:
I think that if you take the car as a whole, everything about it, then yes, it is the "best car in the world".

- There are faster cars, but they are not as safe as Model S.
- There are cars (SUVs?) with more passenger capacity and cargo space, but they are not nearly as efficient as Model S
- There are sexier looking cars, but they aren't as functional as Model S.
- There are more efficient cars, but they don't hall ass like Model S.

You could go on. I think that for most people, choosing a car is a balancing act; and Model S achieves closer to a perfect balance for its intended market than any other car in the world.

I think that if you take the car as a whole, everything about it, then yes, it is the "best car in the world".

- There are faster cars, but they are not as safe as Model S.
- There are cars (SUVs?) with more passenger capacity and cargo space, but they are not nearly as efficient as Model S
- There are sexier looking cars, but they aren't as functional as Model S.
- There are more efficient cars, but they don't hall ass like Model S.

You could go on. I think that for most people, choosing a car is a balancing act; and Model S achieves closer to a perfect balance for its intended market than any other car in the world.

My thoughts exactly. :)

IMO the Model S is the best drivers car in the world. Nothing with an ICE can compare because you have to deal with a transmission. And lets face it, transmissions get in the way of driving.

I think many who consider themselves "drivers" would disagree with this purely because there's no interaction. Many magazines have also said the car feels disconnected.

To dismiss the luxury features in a luxury car is in itself "rubbish" IMO

When I read those I belive the reviewer is disconnected.

Connected to the past and having no connection to what driving can be.

Perhaps, but there is a point there. For example, I feel like I have much more control of my R8 than my A6 just because of how electric and disconnected the steering feels in the former over the latter. That right there isn't an antiquated thing. It's a "driver's thing".

Honestly, I'd say I would put the Model X as we currently know it as the best SUV in the world... The S... I'm too invested not to get it, but there is quite a bit I'll miss from other cars that won't make it here. I'd have to say no, it isn't. It's the one I want right now yes, but in general, not objectively the best car in the world.

I think many who consider themselves "drivers" would disagree with this purely because there's no interaction. Many magazines have also said the car feels disconnected.

You conveniently left out this part:

mnx said:
"Sure rowing gears can be fun, but a single gear has all of the advantages a manual without you ever having to shift..."

I'm not sure playing with flappy paddles is considered a useful interaction with the car. Do steering the car, and mashing the accelerator/brakes not count as interacting with the car?

To dismiss the luxury features in a luxury car is in itself "rubbish" IMO
ahem. Premium car. :)

Conferring upon Model S as "Best car in the world" is kinda like "Best Dad In the world". I see a lot of t-shirts and coffee mugs bestowing that honor. Logically, not all Dads these items are intended for can be the "Best Dad in the world", yet somehow those acknowledging their Dad, see past his shortcomings and proclaim to the world "Best Dad". So, as an EV enthusiast, I do see Model S as "Best car in the world", however I understand why another person might have a different "best"

Perhaps, but there is a point there. For example, I feel like I have much more control of my R8 than my A6 just because of how electric and disconnected the steering feels in the former over the latter. That right there isn't an antiquated thing. It's a "driver's thing".

Honestly, I'd say I would put the Model X as we currently know it as the best SUV in the world... The S... I'm too invested not to get it, but there is quite a bit I'll miss from other cars that won't make it here. I'd have to say no, it isn't. It's the one I want right now yes, but in general, not objectively the best car in the world.

+1

To be the best car in the world, it has to meet all of the needs of all of the people who drive it BETTER than any other car out there. I think the Model S is solid A-/B+ student, with plenty of potential to take Oxford or Harvard by storm with more prep and attention to detail. It is NOT, IMHO, the best car in the world at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

+1

To be the best car in the world, it has to meet all of the needs of all of the people who drive it BETTER than any other car out there. I think the Model S is solid A-/B+ student, with plenty of potential to take Oxford or Harvard by storm with more prep and attention to detail. It is NOT, IMHO, the best car in the world at this point.

+1

Unless there is a car that does fulfill those criteria, you are talking about "perfect", not "best". Maybe you are still loyal to the M5 or something.

I think many of the arguments about missing luxury features, and other similar criticisms, are beside the point. Those features can, in theory, be added to any car, including the Model S. It is just a decision of where to put R&D resources and of product strategy (which in general goes more in direction towards an affordable Gen3). The point was to show that an electric car *can* be the best car. And what I understand even from those who say it isn't, is that even they actually believe it could be. So the Model S actually does prove, in this sense, that an electric car can be the best car.

I like the balancing act point. It may very well be the best in that regard. I would definitely say it's a luxury car though. What other premium car has a 17 inch touchscreen? It needs more convenience features to be more comfortable for such a car at this price point, but overall it does have a nice balance of innovation, driving enjoyment, and practicality.

If someone offered to take my Model S and trade me any other car in the world, of any value, with the stipulations that:
1) I couldn't turn around and buy another Model S
2) I couldn't sell that new car ( when I was done with it, they would take it back and give me the blue book value of an equivalent condition used Model S )
I would say no.

Best car in the world to me.