Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best car seats for Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I currently own an S (70D) and my wife has an X(75D). I assume the S is the most pressed for space so I am trying to see what car seats you all may have that you feel fit and work well.

We are currently just searching for car seats since our 8 Month old son is just about to outgrow his first car seat and get into a longer term larger rear facing seat.

Please let me know what ones you have and post some pics of how they look/fit if you can.

Thank you so much!

Jim

• Informative
Reactions: Julie's MS
I don't think there will be any space issues. The S is a big car. I have a Britax for my son, but I am not sure on the exact model. I don't think any car seat is going to be too big width-wise unless you are trying to put 3 of them back there. Are you more worried about space between the front passenger seat? My son has only been forward facing since I got my S, but I could turn it around to check the fit rear-facing tonight.

If you are like me and just have the one son I don't think you are going to have any issues fitting whatever seat you want back there.

From a space standpoint after trying multiple seats I found the Diono Radian RXT to work the best. You will need a "riser" for it though otherwise it has too much of an angle. Its sold by Diono as well. This was very comfy, had plenty of space on the sides, and worked for several long journeys.

PS, its an incredible front facing seat so when you do convert to front facing, its very sleek and comfortable and offers good shoulder room for the passengers.

The only issues I've had with it are the weight (its really heavy and awkwardly weighted) and fixed recline.

I also got a Chicco Nextfitzip for its recline ability and cushioning and it worked very well for a few months, but its big, takes up more space and has a steep angle that kids grow out of quickly as they grow older.

Reactions: JPUConn
Diono Radian RXT for 3 across - it's served is well in several vehicles (Jeep Grand Cherokee, Honda Accord, Subaru Legacy, Nissan Pathfinder, and Tesla Model S)

IMG_0111.JPG

When we first got our Model S my twins were rear facing and it was less than ideal. You have no visibility to the children from the driver seat even with a huge mirror. There was a post I saw a while back where someone wired a baby monitor to see their kid. Also it was a bit cramped to get the kids in and out of the car vs our previous Jeep.

IMG_0543.JPG

As already mentioned, if you set it up rear facing you'll need the Angle Adjuster (for just about any car). I have 4 that I no longer use and you can have them but they're pretty cheap on amazon anyway.

Diono Radian RXT for 3 across - it's served is well in several vehicles (Jeep Grand Cherokee, Honda Accord, Subaru Legacy, Nissan Pathfinder, and Tesla Model S)

View attachment 247112

When we first got our Model S my twins were rear facing and it was less than ideal. You have no visibility to the children from the driver seat even with a huge mirror. There was a post I saw a while back where someone wired a baby monitor to see their kid. Also it was a bit cramped to get the kids in and out of the car vs our previous Jeep.

View attachment 247113

As already mentioned, if you set it up rear facing you'll need the Angle Adjuster (for just about any car). I have 4 that I no longer use and you can have them but they're pretty cheap on amazon anyway.
How on earth do you buckle the kids in?? I just got my car and have 2 kids in boosters. One is 9 & one is 6. They can't even buckle themselves in because the buckles are so hard to get to. So I have to buckle them in like when they were 2! Frustrating. Got to be a good solution???

How on earth do you buckle the kids in?? I just got my car and have 2 kids in boosters. One is 9 & one is 6. They can't even buckle themselves in because the buckles are so hard to get to. So I have to buckle them in like when they were 2! Frustrating. Got to be a good solution???

Look into a seatbelt extender. We got one for my wife's SUV when my daughter moved up to a booster seat. She had a hard time reaching the latch because it was down so far. We got a rigid seat belt extender that brings the latch to roughly hip height so she can do it herself. Here's where we got ours:

Tesla Model S Seat Belt Extender

Be aware that it has to be type specific. Different cars use different latches (and sometimes front seat to back seat is different).

We've been pretty happy with the Chicco next fit. Plenty of space in the S, even if you sit pretty far back. It latches super easy, though the weight limit for using latch is 30 lbs. So we just had to switch over to belt restraint with my son.

We had the unfortunate luck of having to crash test one in October 2015. We didn't have the Model S at the time, but the Chicco worked perfectly and my son was totally fine.

Here's a pic in the S. Apologies for the gross garage lighting.
IMG_20170911_202329.jpg

Reactions: JPUConn
Look into a seatbelt extender. We got one for my wife's SUV when my daughter moved up to a booster seat. She had a hard time reaching the latch because it was down so far. We got a rigid seat belt extender that brings the latch to roughly hip height so she can do it herself. Here's where we got ours:

Tesla Model S Seat Belt Extender

Be aware that it has to be type specific. Different cars use different latches (and sometimes front seat to back seat is different).

I had no idea these extenders existed. We have 3 seats across now and each time we want to take my S it's a fight to get the kids in. I've mastered it pretty well but it can be very frustrating fishing through to the buckle buried deep between the tightly fitting seats. I'm going to get a few of these. Thanks!