Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best charger setup for Canadian winters (can't park in garage)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am considering a few options for charging and want some suggestions what is optimal. Ideal would be park in the garage and charge in the garage. I cannot park in the garage, it's too full of junk (lawn mowers and snow blowers and the whole shebang).

Options.

1. Install NEMA 14-50 inside the garage. Run the mobile connector cable under the garage door.
2. Install Tesla Wall Connector inside the garage. Run the cable under the garage door.
3. Install NEMA 14-50 outside the garage on the side of the house. Use the mobile connector and unplug it when I don't need to charge.
4. Install Tesla Wall Connector outside the garage on the side of the house.

1 has the benefit of reusability. Obviously with other cars it has that reusability but also with just regular appliances, like a garage heater and so on.

2 seems unnecessary. The only benefit would be that it'd be protected from the elements, but this seems like it's not required. The wall connector will survive the harshest of Toronto winter storms (lol) correct?

3 is similar to 1 in reusability. But unsure if it's safe. Also, the mobile connector plugging it in and out in the cold could be a pain.

4 seems like the best option but it's locked to Tesla. Are there other charging cables that are good to use which can be used to charge a Tesla (through an adapter)?

Thanks!

I am considering a few options for charging and want some suggestions what is optimal. Ideal would be park in the garage and charge in the garage. I cannot park in the garage, it's too full of junk (lawn mowers and snow blowers and the whole shebang).

Options.

1. Install NEMA 14-50 inside the garage. Run the mobile connector cable under the garage door.
2. Install Tesla Wall Connector inside the garage. Run the cable under the garage door.
3. Install NEMA 14-50 outside the garage on the side of the house. Use the mobile connector and unplug it when I don't need to charge.
4. Install Tesla Wall Connector outside the garage on the side of the house.

1 has the benefit of reusability. Obviously with other cars it has that reusability but also with just regular appliances, like a garage heater and so on.

2 seems unnecessary. The only benefit would be that it'd be protected from the elements, but this seems like it's not required. The wall connector will survive the harshest of Toronto winter storms (lol) correct?

3 is similar to 1 in reusability. But unsure if it's safe. Also, the mobile connector plugging it in and out in the cold could be a pain.

4 seems like the best option but it's locked to Tesla. Are there other charging cables that are good to use which can be used to charge a Tesla (through an adapter)?

Thanks!
I have option 1, except it’s a NEMA 6-50

Reactions: X.l.r.8
I vote for options #4 unless you anticipate moving in the next few years.
If one day you buy a non Tesla EV you can always buy a Tesla to J1772 (like Jstub or other) so your reliable & relatively inexpensive EVSE is not gone to waste.

Reactions: Vawlkus
Without a doubt, go with option 4. We had a 14-50 in the garage, so we started with the mobile connector.

Opening the garage door twice a day became a chore and the cord starting showing signs of wear after 6 months.

You can charge other cars with a Tesla charger (with an adapter).

In the winter, you're best to charge daily and let the car/battery preheat while plugged in.

Another vote for 6-50, absolutely no reason for a 14-50
If you want weather proof.
But a HPWC is not only weather proof but you can move it indoors later if you are able. the cost has dropped on both the UMC and HPWC the cabling will be the higher cost factor and a 14-50 has one extra needless core in it which is just wasting your money. If you only need 32 go the UMC route, if you feel you will benefit from, and can use 48A then the HPWC without a doubt. Just put it outside and forget about it.

Reactions: Vawlkus
I vote for options #4 unless you anticipate moving in the next few years.
If one day you buy a non Tesla EV you can always buy a Tesla to J1772 (like Jstub or other) so your reliable & relatively inexpensive EVSE is not gone to waste.
I'm leaning towards this as well.

Any issues with the Wall Connector being outdoors in snow storms and such?

14-50 inside the garage near the door. just run it under neat the garage door, make sure to use 1 X2" piece of wood near the cable so it doesn't pinch it otherwise it will get damage overtime. You can also cut a hole on the wall with the proper cover.

Why 14-50? I don’t get it. You only need 240v which is 6-50. 14-50 was used 14 years ago so teslas could charge when there were no charging stations. Not because it’s a good standard. We no longer need 14-50 at home, unless you like buying extra cable.

I vote for option # 5....clear out the garage and park inside, both you and your car will thank yourself

But failing that I'd go with #4.
Options 1 & 2 are looking for problems. Also that you'd b opening your garage to having a mouse squeeze it's self inside your garage. They don't need much room at all.

I've had a wall charger outside for 6 years. Just replaced a Gen 1 with a Gen 3 because the rubber sheath that covers the cable has shrunk leading to an exposure of the wires and the grommet at the base of the handle falls off. It finally failed last month because one of the smaller lead wires for the button on the handle snapped.

If anyone wants the old one let me know - the unit itself is still functional, just needs a new cable and handle (if you can find that).

Looking at the differences between the Gen 1 and 3 leads me to believe that the Gen 3 should last longer. The rubber sheath is different and seems denser, the thinner wires will also be beneficial as it's more flexible and puts less stress on the handle and the charge port as well. Of course, if you've got an older Tesla that can exploit the full 72 amps, then the Gen 1 is the way to go.

One advantage of the Gen 3 is you can fence it - make it only accessible by your own vehicles. It makes keeping it outside less of an issue.

I started with the UMC on a 120v until a poorly installed GFCI annoyed my landlord too much.
Went to a 240 line with a NEMA 14-50 plug for about a year, until the UMC connector started freezing up and the button stopped working.
After that, got a HPWC and had it wired in via the NEMA 14-50 connector box, and it’s been problem free for over 3 years now. I did put an eave over the HPWC to keep the worst of the weather off it.

I vote for option 4. Least amount of hassle IMHO, and let’s you keep your UMC in your car for emergencies.

Reactions: Drehrlenmeyer
We have an indoor wall connector for my Tesla, outdoor wall connector for my wife's Tesla. We also have a 14-50 mounted outside in a weatherproof box. No issues after 4 winters with the outside wall connector. I wouldn't recommend a cable underneath the garage door as a long-term solution; it creates a gap under the door that would allow rodents to enter your garage while you're charging at night. Having external chargers allows you to share them on Plugshare and that has helped several EV owners over the years.

Attachments

• charger.jpg
    charger.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 175
Reactions: Biscuitman
I am looking at a similar set up with the 14-50 in the garage with the Y being parked inside in the winter and outside during the summer. I have this charger cord passthrough to protect the cable from the garage. For my setup, i needed to Mcgyver the garage door safety sensor to be 6 inches off the ground so that it would not detect the cable on closing. SplashNcolor EV Charging Cable Garage Door Pass Through Garage Cord Protector : Amazon.ca: Automotive
Is it letting any critters in? Since the gap that’s left open? Was thinking about getting this once my Y comes in. My garage is too small and can’t fit the car.