Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best charging method during Covid Quarantine?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Due to the covid pandemic, I have been working from home for the past few weeks and have not needed to drive my Model 3 that much at all. I have 280 miles on the odometer (took deliver on 3/13) and currently at 60% battery charge. I leave sentry mode on at all times so the battery does drain slowly over time. I have a Tesla wall connector installed at my house so I can charge anytime if needed.

What is the best practice to maintain my battery health if not driving the car for many days/ weeks? Should I keep the charger plugged in and set to 65% charge rate even though I am not driving for many days (I assume the battery would drain from idling/ sentry mode and then the charger would maintain 65% charge?)? Or should I charge to 65% then unplug the charger and let it drain from sitting idle with sentry mode on until it reaches 30% then charge again to 65% and repeat?

I am sad I don't get to drive my Model 3 and I want to make sure I am not damaging the battery health by letting the car sit for many days without use. Thanks.

Due to the covid pandemic, I have been working from home for the past few weeks and have not needed to drive my Model 3 that much at all. I have 280 miles on the odometer (took deliver on 3/13) and currently at 60% battery charge. I leave sentry mode on at all times so the battery does drain slowly over time. I have a Tesla wall connector installed at my house so I can charge anytime if needed.

What is the best practice to maintain my battery health if not driving the car for many days/ weeks? Should I keep the charger plugged in and set to 65% charge rate even though I am not driving for many days (I assume the battery would drain from idling/ sentry mode and then the charger would maintain 65% charge?)? Or should I charge to 65% then unplug the charger and let it drain from sitting idle with sentry mode on until it reaches 30% then charge again to 65% and repeat?

I am sad I don't get to drive my Model 3 and I want to make sure I am not damaging the battery health by letting the car sit for many days without use. Thanks.
Choice 1 is best.

• Helpful
Reactions: BlueKam_M3LR

Tesla specifically advises choice 1 and says that there is no benefit (their words) to "running it down to charge it back up" Also their words

I am a physician in the SF bay area and we are anticipating a surge of virus cases in the next 2-3 weeks. Drive-by testings of the population in this area have actually showed 25% of people who got tested have the virus, so the prevalence of the virus is higher than reported in the population. Since I am covering several hospitals, I am suffering from range anxiety, so I am trying to keep the charge about 90% when I can, so I can get to and from comfortably and charge at night.

I am a physician in the SF bay area and we are anticipating a surge of virus cases in the next 2-3 weeks. Drive-by testings of the population in this area have actually showed 25% of people who got tested have the virus, so the prevalence of the virus is higher than reported in the population. Since I am covering several hospitals, I am suffering from range anxiety, so I am trying to keep the charge about 90% when I can, so I can get to and from comfortably and charge at night.
It depends on whether you can get home at night. Are you doing long shifts and getting some sleep at a hospital, or do you work in more regular shifts?

The reason I say this is even at 110V (regular wall outlet) you will charge 5MPH. So in 8 hours, you can boost up 40 miles. If you have a way to plug in at a hospital, you have it even better. If you get home sometimes and have a 240V charge outlet, you can get a lot more mileage. So it depends on your hours, availability, and type of charging available. Good luck and thanks for being there for us!

• Informative
As stated, it is best to leave the car plugged in when you can. Set charge level between 80-90%. If you are parked inside a garage, no need for Sentry mode to be on. You can change settings to automatically exclude your home and/or work from Sentry. Your car alarm system will still work even if Sentry is off.

Personally, I'm leaving Sentry Mode on all the time during the pandemic. In the Bay Area, there's been a noticeable jump in car break-ins. With everyone inside, and few people on the roads, all these cars parked in driveways and apartment lots are easy targets.

As stated, it is best to leave the car plugged in when you can. Set charge level between 80-90%. If you are parked inside a garage, no need for Sentry mode to be on. You can change settings to automatically exclude your home and/or work from Sentry. Your car alarm system will still work even if Sentry is off.
Exactly. Too many threads here about charging/plugging in - follow the owners manual regarding charging.

Keep it plugged in, move slider to 90% and forget it.

2018 w/24K doing this and haven’t lost a rated mile of charge since I acquired it.