Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best comparison pic of 3 & Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks nice but is this real though? saw it on redflagdeal.

wwzs7v674xm21.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
On a side note, Tesla needs to fix how they show their blue paint, it always looks way brighter than it actually is haha

Yes exactly. It seems as though Tesla itself knows their blue is boring, so they liven it up in the pictures. Well if that's what they think people want, then uh,...

Or maybe there was a sale on boring blue paint so they bought 12 gigaliters of it.

Yes, it's an official press release image from Tesla.

On a side note, Tesla needs to fix how they show their blue paint, it always looks way brighter than it actually is haha

Yup, It's called iridescence interpretation, the angle by which light waves are either absorbed and/or deflected by the paint's tint and metal-flake. Color variances are also contributed to the quality of the camera's lens, its onboard sensor and how the color processing software interprets the color. If that pix were photographed by 7 different photographers using different makes & models, no two would be exactly the same.

Hey BULLSHARK, Thanks for the great Pix!

Black Large Wheels2.jpg

Lowered, Tints, & 21" Wheels
#2.png

#1.png

Overlap comparison Y vs. 3 (Click image to Enlarge)

Last edited:
Those rims look pretty nice too. I think the Y actually looks better than the 3 in that picture.
(But I think it looks odd in other pictures)

Agreed, I personally prefer silver, but if I had to choose between Black or DkGrey, I would want the outer rim polished... but that's just me. (I'm not a fully blacked out Bat-Car or RoboCar fan...)

Here's a fast & sloppy PS'd image to demonstrate, but you get the idea.

Screen Shot 2019-03-20 at 3.37.45 PM.png

Last edited:
I doubt Y will be more than 2 inches wider the 3, and probably not more than 6 inches longer. X is 8+ inches wider and 16+ inches longer.

Since the Y & 3 are built on the same platform, and by judging all of these pix, I'm guessing the wheelbase will be no more than 2"-3" longer (using the overlap pictures), and the track will be no more than 1"-1.5" inches wider at best! (looking at the top side by side pictures)

PS: I'm not making any guesses about the actual overall dimensions, just the wheelbase and track dimensions.

Last edited:
Reactions: reardencode
Yup, It's called iridescence interpretation, the angle by which light waves are either absorbed and/or deflected by the paint's tint and metal-flake. Color variances are also contributed to the quality of the camera's lens, its onboard sensor and how the color processing software interprets the color. If that pix were photographed by 7 different photographers using different makes & models, no two would be exactly the same.

Hey BULLSHARK, Thanks for the great Pix!

View attachment 389345
Lowered, Tints, & 21" Wheels
View attachment 389346
View attachment 389347
Overlap comparison Y vs. 3 (Click image to Enlarge)
the two wheels should line up exactly. The Model 3 and Model Y almost certainly has the exact same wheelbase.

the two wheels should line up exactly. The Model 3 and Model Y almost certainly has the exact same wheelbase.

Where did you hear or read that? Please provide a link... because that just doesn't make sense! All things being equal, I perfectly aligned the diameter of the front 20" wheel on both the Model-P3 and Model-PY cars. That's why the front wheel looks sharp in the pix even though it's made up of 2 overlapping pictures. Therefore all the other dimensions should be pretty close. (I used Tesla's renderings, which are normally generated directly off their CAD system, so they're accurate to each other.)

The overlap clearly shows the center of the rear wheel on the Y extending further to the rear than the 3 by approx. 2"-3" according to my software. How else are they going to get that third row of seats in the Y and still have cargo space? When entered into my software, the Y has a longer wheelbase and most likely has a wider track as well.

Thanks for the comment but I must kindly disagree. They may share the same platform, but that doesn't necessarily mean they share the same wheelbase & track dimensions. No one will know for sure until Tesla releases the full specs.

#2.png

Last edited:
Reactions: GenSao