Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Conditioner for Vegan Leather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dr. Beasley makes a Vegan Leather kit (not sure how new it is), I’ve used it twice so far. It’s a two step cleaning process and leaves the seats feeling great.

not sure why folks insist on slathering *anything* but water/microfiber cloth on fake leather seats? leatherette/ vegan leather/ MB tex and whatnot all other manufacturers call it *won't* absorb any leather conditioner etc and while Aerospace 303 does contain a decent UV protector ... it's needed for outdoor applications. The UV rays won't make it through the glass roof and even the untinted windshield and side windows will block of a substantial amount.

Reactions: android04
not sure why folks insist on slathering *anything* but water/microfiber cloth on fake leather seats? leatherette/ vegan leather/ MB tex and whatnot all other manufacturers call it *won't* absorb any leather conditioner etc and while Aerospace 303 does contain a decent UV protector ... it's needed for outdoor applications. The UV rays won't make it through the glass roof and even the untinted windshield and side windows will block of a substantial amount.

I like to give my seats a quick wipe down with Meguiar's interior detailer once in a while ... that's, uh, it.

A mild surfactant would work better than water typically to get the dirt off. I like Griots Interior cleaner which is pretty mild. Some people use baby wipes...should wipe down with water afterwards though.

Reactions: dmurphy
The seats are plastic, so anything that works on plastic should be perfectly appropriate.
"Vegan leather" is a BS marketing term, you know that, right?

Aerospace 303 is widely used to clean and UV protect plastic surfaces on boats. It works great in both (boat and car) applications.

Call it a relic of the old days when we would have dashboards and interiors fade from UV radiation. Perhaps the interior plastics have improved in the past 30 years or the solar tinting is better.
But I wouldn't use 303 because it is slippery as heck. The worst choice for seating surfaces, door sills, floor mats, etc... but otherwise works well for other plastic surfaces.

the seats in my 2020 Model Y are black and starting to fade some. Especially at the headrest and where the inside of one’s knees rest. I’m guessing there’s no way to fix that? I thought about buying seat covers but might wait until they look worse. I’m the 3rd owner and bought it with 26k miles, now have 31k

the seats in my 2020 Model Y are black and starting to fade some. Especially at the headrest and where the inside of one’s knees rest. I’m guessing there’s no way to fix that?

You can always repaint / restain it!

I thought about buying seat covers but might wait until they look worse. I’m the 3rd owner and bought it with 26k miles, now have 31k

I've heard folks reporting that certain types of shampoos / lotions / sunscreen / hair products induces premature aging and discoloration on Tesla's plastic fantastic (Ultrafabrics PU) seats. Tesla does NOT honor warranty on the interior, so you will get no relief from the automaker outside of the legal system.

If you can't clean off the dirt and the fabric is truly discolored, you will need to re-paint it with a fabric paint. Something like FabriCoat should do the trick:

HTH,
a

You can always repaint / restain it!

I've heard folks reporting that certain types of shampoos / lotions / sunscreen / hair products induces premature aging and discoloration on Tesla's plastic fantastic (Ultrafabrics PU) seats. Tesla does NOT honor warranty on the interior, so you will get no relief from the automaker outside of the legal system.

If you can't clean off the dirt and the fabric is truly discolored, you will need to re-paint it with a fabric paint. Something like FabriCoat should do the trick:

HTH,
a
Interesting! I didn’t realize you could paint the seats. Since the only D grade i got in school was in art I imagine painting the seat would turn out really well. Outside of Katskin are there any other good quality seat covers?

I figured Tesla wouldn’t honor anything on the interior. They don’t want to fix my trunk that doesn’t latch half the time either. Said I need a body shop for the warranty issue.

Interesting! I didn’t realize you could paint the seats. Since the only D grade i got in school was in art I imagine painting the seat would turn out really well. Outside of Katskin are there any other good quality seat covers?

I figured Tesla wouldn’t honor anything on the interior. They don’t want to fix my trunk that doesn’t latch half the time either. Said I need a body shop for the warranty issue.

Is the cincher trying to latch the trunk all the time, or does it not even close?

I used to think the cincher was normal until someone here said it activates only when the trunk doesn't close properly. So I set the max opening height a bit lower, and lubed the strut rods a bit. It now closes with a resounding thunk each time.

Interesting! I didn’t realize you could paint the seats. Since the only D grade i got in school was in art I imagine painting the seat would turn out really well.

I'm no artist myself, but a few decades ago I had to do something similar on a dove grey BMW leather interior. Got some paint, some paint brushes, and went at it. It's literary impossible to screw up.
Double so if your interior color is black.

Outside of Katskin are there any other good quality seat covers?

The only seat covers I ever used were sheepskins. Really fluffy, and awesome at temperature isolation in winter and summer.
They were expensive, and I'm not sure sheepskins belong on a head rest.

Good luck!

Is the cincher trying to latch the trunk all the time, or does it not even close?

I used to think the cincher was normal until someone here said it activates only when the trunk doesn't close properly. So I set the max opening height a bit lower, and lubed the strut rods a bit. It now closes with a resounding thunk each time.
Half the time it will latch and lock like it should, the other half the trunk slams down and doesn’t lock. You can hear the lock activating when it does work. Tesla said it’s possibly a bent hinge where the trunk opens and closes.