Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Conditioner for Vegan Leather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
opti-clean-504%20%281%29.jpg

My go to for cleaning exterior and interior. Water based.

Spray. Wipe. Done. And it smells like the future

My white seat after 17,000+ miles and constant denim jean wear is as white as it was on Day 1

Good tips in this thread! My sense of smell is so keen that I'm glad I can just use distilled water.

Apparently Elon has a keen sense of smell too, and prohibits the use of cologne/perfume by in-person interviewees. Not sure if that is true but I can *totally* relate!

In related cleaning advice, I've found that a 50/50 mix of medical-grade alcohol and distilled water is AMAZING for windows. It's good to use cloth with cutting power too. I use waffle weave microfiber from Amazon.

I use the same quick interior detailer spray I use on the rest of the interior. Works great and doesn’t leave a shiny residue.

Meguiar's® Quik Interior Detailer™, G13616, 16 oz., Spray | Meguiar's
I used this on the rear bench (vegan leather) of my Model 3 and the two sections that break the seat into 3 now has tiny holes scattered haphazardly across the 'fabric'.

Has anyone else experienced this? The holes aren't in a pattern, but may appear that way on a casual glance.

I'm afraid that Meguiars product made 'quik' work of my seats...

These days it's very VERY hard to tell what's what. China sells "leather" bags that are entirely plastic except for a slice of animal skin on top so thin it rivals the real gold plating on some of their gold-plated bling items. They get away with the "leather" label somehow, in a time when all the "unnecessary" consumer protection agencies have been eliminated. I got a Samsonite 100% leather briefcase that was the same Chinese fraud.

Not only that, it's only the very center insert of the seat. The rest is "vegan leather".

Tim

The term vegan leather makes me shudder... thankfully I'm not a vegan!

TIm
Not exactly "vegan". It is made partially from the remains of ancient dinosaurs. From this site;

The most commonly used materials for synthetic leathers are polyvinyl chloride (PVC) and polyurethane (PU), which are plastic based materials. Another term for fake leather is “pleather” which comes from the term plastic leather.

These two commonly used synthetic materials in particular have raised questions about the safety and dangers of vegan leather to the environment. Very few vegan leathers are made from natural materials although it is possible to find more eco friendly products made from materials like cork (check out our new cork collection or learn more about cork here), kelp and even pineapple leaves.

I used this on the rear bench (vegan leather) of my Model 3 and the two sections that break the seat into 3 now has tiny holes scattered haphazardly across the 'fabric'.

Has anyone else experienced this? The holes aren't in a pattern, but may appear that way on a casual glance.

I'm afraid that Meguiars product made 'quik' work of my seats...

Not at all - I’ve never seen such a thing. Have a photo?

The term vegan leather makes me shudder... thankfully I'm not a vegan!

"Vegan leather" is a DUMB term, and an insult to the intelligence of the reader.
Polyurethane is no more "vegan" then a brick, or a cow pie. It's derived from oil pumped out of the ground.

If PU leather is "vegan", then we might as well rename all ICE cars as "vegan"-powered.

What are people using to clean the soft dashboard?

I strongly prefer my dashboards to be non-shiny and non-reflective.
The only product that I found achieves that result is Sonax Dashboard Cleaner:
1653926743776.png

What about dog drool? I'm serious. That stuff is really hard to get off the seats. Any ideas?

Don't let it sit uncleaned on a hot day. Wipe out with a wet napkin, as necessary.
One time I had to come back with warm water and soap, and that did the trick.

HTH,
a

And now that everyone is going "Vegan" what will happen to all of those surplus cow hides? In a landfill? We are not going to stop slaughtering cows for hamburgers. Are we?
there won't be surplus cow hides - especially as high end automotive leather is near purpose bred (no barbed wires, no mosquito/ fly bites/ scars) and a big $$$ maker for certain ranchers. nearly as much as meat. if leather demand goes down - it changes the economics and less cattle is bred.

Reactions: grayguy