Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Config for Overlanding - Dual or Tri-Motor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What would be the best config for Overlanding and off-roading (not rock crawling, but decent class 3 stuff)?

While I like the 500 mile range of the Tri-motor config for overlanding, I really don't need the performance. But if Tri-Motor is more suitable for off-roading, than I'd consider that option. Ideally, wish there was a Dual Motor, 500 mile range variant for $59K!

Tri-motor by far. Two rear motors act as a locking diff. Plus the tri motor has a larger battery, important for overlanding.
I can't wait to see the Cyber-Tri-Engine competing against the Model S-Tri-Engine at the Nürburgring!

Except that they will not be in the same category because one will be in the 6-seats category and the other will be in the 7-seats category!

Last edited:
Dual motor with a range extender geny under the bed? Unless you only want to overland in the USA where there's enough people for Superchargers. Charging from a household socket will also take ages on the 500 mile model (2 days?). Ideally they'd have car to car charging at least.

What interests me is how this thing will go in mud and sand, as the fuel consumption, as also the energy consumption (aka battery) is 3-4 times as high on sand than on a sealed road. So even 500 miles of sand dune driving could become 125 miles, that's 60 miles return no reserve....and nowhere near to refilll.

Thanks. Good points. Definitely need the range and appears tri-motor would offer offroad benefits. We go out to Utah annually (Capital Reef/ Moad areas, exploring the moderate dirt/rocky roads) and would be cool if the Cybertruck could pull this off. Off-grid is usually under 200 miles, but point taken on much higher energy consumption off-road. Appears Tesla may offer a solar tonneau cover, good for 15-20 miles per day, which if camping for a few days, could add 50 or so miles of range over 3-4 days.

Keep in mind when your off road you are going slow so wind resistance is a non issue. Some unpaved roads might consume less power than we think. On the other hand sand and mud will suck lots of power. All depends on the terrain and speed. I'm in for the tri-motor and love the air compressor for airing down and up.

Would be sweet to have central tyre inflation...bit complicated to route through and pressurise the drivetrain though. Bead lockers and remote deflators is halfway there. For sand driving airing down will be critcal to get better range.

I somehow don't think those exposed wheels or arches will help either.

i cant afford the tri motor version, so i have a reservation for dual motor, because i wouldnt use the single motor for off roading. would it still be good for off roading? i like off roading but i wouldnt take it if it werent decent for it

I have changed my order to the TRI-MOTOR. I have a Model Y LR now and kind of miss the zoom of the X.
Also I think the range will be important. Shouldn't take too long with at-home charging, because most of the time you will just be topping off.

The main reason I switched to the TRI-MOTOR is I suspect they will crank out the TRI-MOTORS first with greatest profit margin. (I know, I know he said dual and Tri-motor first, but just wait and see. And I want that beast in my driveway at the earliest opportunity, to freak out the neighbors, of course.

Reactions: CHGolferJim