Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best convex mirrors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did anyone have trouble pulling the two heating element pin connectors for the driver side mirror? I was easily able to remove the pins on the passenger side, but I cannot remove the driver side pin connectors no matter how hard I push outward on the connector.

I ordered the HANSSHOW mirrors for my 2020 Y and they sent the wrong ones. The electrical connections on the mirrors were in a different location and my wires/connectors wouldn’t reach them. I have given up trying to contact their Customer Service which must be in China. So I’m out $100. But I did just order a new PMY so maybe they will fit that.

If buying make sure the vendor has a US based customer service center.

Thanks, but he doesn’t run into the issue I am having. On the passenger side, the black connectors slide right out like in the video, but on the driver side, it will move about 1 mm and then just get stuck.
I would grab the connector with a pair of small size needle nose pliers and wiggle the connector while pulling in the direction that removes the connector.

How expensive would you say these side mirrors are? Body shop was working on my wife’s car and found a way to somehow scratch the side mirror glass to hell.
For the Tesla part it would depend on whether the side mirror has auto-dimming capability. Tesla has added and removed the auto-dimming capability from the Model Y over time, auto-dimming is not currently listed on the Tesla site as a feature of the Model Y.

• Informative
Reactions: Z_Lynx
My Model Y was delivered with auto-dimming mirrors (03-2022) but I've switched them with Suma (not blue version, they support heat but no auto-dimming function). I prefer to loose auto-dimming but to have a wider view mirrors. So far, I'm happy with Suma.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
I would grab the connector with a pair of small size needle nose pliers and wiggle the connector while pulling in the direction that removes the connector.
Thanks for your suggestions. I finally managed to get it out!

Wiggling back and forth still wouldn't do it for me. So what I tried doing was using a needle and wedging it into the top side of the connection. The needle was able to go in and with more pressure pushing in the direction that separates the connectors, it just popped it out! I suspect what was happening was that the metal inside the female connector was latching onto the male connector as the male connector has a little hole, so the needle was able to loosen that grip and unlatch it. When I connect the aftermarket mirror, I can hear a faint click when the connection is made and again, it is difficult to remove. So I think this confirms my latching theory.

Anyway, not sure why my driver side connectors were tighter, but hopefully this post helps someone else running into the same issue.

I had someone overseas order the Tesla export side mirrors from their service center and had them shipped to me. Both sides are convex and have the auto dimming feature. The right hand side doesn’t have ”Objects in mirror are closer than they appear”. Price was around $250 each plus shipping.

GLASS, EXT. MIRROR PREMIUM EXPORT LH MY 1609853-00-A

GLASS, EXT. MIRROR PREMIUM EXPORT RH MY 1609854-00-A

Wow, these are really cool! I just got blue hansshow ones today and they make a huge difference. Glad I came across this thread. The Model Y mirrors are definitely slightly smaller coming from a Model S, now that's no longer the case.

EAA06BDB-0702-4958-BF5F-8AD8568D7160.jpeg

61378F73-5256-4951-BE14-9DADDDFDC1BC.jpeg

4803FC7A-CE79-4A30-BEB5-154FEA3529EB.jpeg

4E9613E5-6464-4B43-B8F1-9CD3C43BF30A.jpeg

One problem I have with convex mirrors is on the driver side, it will not go back far enough and you will see too much of the car depending on your seating position. I had to break off some tabs to allow it to go farther back, but still not where I would like it.