Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Dash Cam setup?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone, wanted to get some feedback on this dash cam setup I am debating buying. In my opinion, it's the perfect setup in terms of safety, longevity, and convenience. Please let me know if you see any issues with this setup and hopefully I can help inspire others to do the same!

Safety
This product has been very well documented so I will not go into the details. It basically hides your USB/SSD from plain sight and slightly increases your chances of it getting stolen, should a break-in occur.
Jeda Products | Tesla Model 3 USB Hub

Longevity
This “Endurance” MicroSD card is specifically designed for dash cam use, and has the capability of 44,000 hours of recording/playback. Though I’m sure 99% of all solutions would work to record, I like the idea of this card being designed with dash cams in mind.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...84HJ5&linkId=93dbd4ca1b991c1a04bcd060425f1741

Convenience
This card reader can fit a MicroSD card (mentioned above) inside of it, is small enough to fit in the hidden compartment of the Jeda Hub, and best of all- has a lighting port and USB C port to easily plug in an iPhone or Android device to view Sentry Mode footage right on our cell phones. It looks like you just have to download an app to access the files.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D72L4Q...olid=1O7WFON49H9NU&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Let me know if you have any thoughts or reasons why this setup wouldn’t work. I did a lot of research so hopefully this can also help others. Thanks!

It'll probably work just fine.

Just a $20-30 USB stick is equally likely to though at about 1/4-1/6th the cost... (arguably more likely given the issues some Jeda hub owners have reported)

I'm ok with the price of this setup as I am intending to keep this car for a long time. What issues are some Jeda hub owners reporting? Its good to know that this same setup will work without the Jeda Hub if needed.

There's a number of multi-page threads about poor customer service from Jeda... I know on the hub specifically some folks were having it fail to work with dashcam features too-- sounds like Jeda finally acknowledged this so maybe it's working ok now?

Jeda USB Hub September Shipping Update

Also some more recent folks who had issues with "too slow" errors through the Jeda hub but worked fine when plugged in directly, but works fine for others, some mentions of that here-
JEDA Model 3 USB Hub

There's a number of multi-page threads about poor customer service from Jeda... I know on the hub specifically some folks were having it fail to work with dashcam features too-- sounds like Jeda finally acknowledged this so maybe it's working ok now?

Jeda USB Hub September Shipping Update

Also some more recent folks who had issues with "too slow" errors through the Jeda hub but worked fine when plugged in directly, but works fine for others, some mentions of that here-
JEDA Model 3 USB Hub

Shipping times sucked for the Jeda USB hub, but I just got mine about a week ago, and haven’t had any issues using my Samsung T5 SSD with it. It’s really awesome how hidden it is, and it’s also working great with my Nomad wireless charger.

I recently gave my jeda hub a second chance, but quickly stopped using it again. My issue is that the main connections are flaky - it gets disconnected easily. I really want rock solid performance for my music ssd, and wasn't getting that with the jeda hub, but plugged directly into the right usb port, it never goes down.

i currently use this Aukey dashcam https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072FGL63X in my 2016 prius. i'll be trading in for a model 3 and will probably continue using it. the quality is great and is USB powered. also picked up a lens filter to reduce glare https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NAD4MZP. works well even at night. plenty of video samples on youtube for day and night driving. thing i don't like is it only comes with one mount and aukey doesn't sell additional mounts. some have directed me to go find the 3D printer file for the mount and have it made but have yet to find one. i wanted another mount so i can use it in more than one car. i got mine on sale for $50 and it often goes on sale.

here are two videos i uploaded on youtube.
(light rain/snow)

i've seen video samples of the model 3 dash cam and i didn't really like the quality. many complaints are related to reading license plates and low quality