Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Dash Cams For Your Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I might buy one of this as I really like the 2 cams idea

http://www.garmin.com.tw/products/GDR/gdr190/

Looks promising. I'll have TWO of those, one in the rear window as well (although, then there is not much to see any more from that small window)

Keeps recording 90 minutes after power is shut down (for parking accidents), 200 degrees field of view.

I cannot see it on any English pages, the US Garmin store only has a single camera version. Can the menu be changed to English? The manual from that page is in TC only.

It says the program for viewing the recordings is a "PC Tool", yet the anonymous "PC" in the picture looks more like a Macbook. Would someone guess/know whether there is a Mac version also of that "PC Tool"? In the manual it says

注意:
1.僅適用於Windows作業系統(Windows XP/Vista/7) 2.電腦端播放軟體也可至Garmin台灣官網 Garmin | United States | Home. tw/software 下載安裝

Which I think means Windows XP/Vista/7 only :(

Last edited:
Looks promising. I'll have TWO of those, one in the rear window as well (although, then there is not much to see any more from that small window)

Keeps recording 90 minutes after power is shut down (for parking accidents), 200 degrees field of view.

I cannot see it on any English pages, the US Garmin store only has a single camera version. Can the menu be changed to English? The manual from that page is in TC only.

It says the program for viewing the recordings is a "PC Tool", yet the anonymous "PC" in the picture looks more like a Macbook. Would someone guess/know whether there is a Mac version also of that "PC Tool"? In the manual it says

注意:
1.僅適用於Windows作業系統(Windows XP/Vista/7) 2.電腦端播放軟體也可至Garmin台灣官網 Garmin | United States | Home. tw/software 下載安裝

Which I think means Windows XP/Vista/7 only :(

Where to buy and what's the price?

Id like to find one that stays on all the time. I also wouldn't mind infra red capability front and rear.
It all depends on where you connect the wiring, permanent 12V or on-only. This one just has it's own built in battery, yet I think if it runs the units internal battery down for every time you park, that battery won't last too long.

Infrared is better off mounted outside the car, depending on what range the infrared wavelength is. Far infrared doesn't penetrate glass at all, while near infrared does to some extent. You could consider an external infrared illuminator, which would be visible other than in a camera (behind the glass also, if near infrared), yet invisible to human eyes. Mount it next to your license plates, and it make it impossible to see your cars registration in speed trap photos.

Speaking of speed, the P85+ demo cars here are limited to 65 mph (just over 100 km/h), which is a good thing. It's just too easy to get a speeding ticket with this car. Today on the test drive, the sheriff on his horse (BMW MC) was waiting for us, but he did a poor job hiding so we spotted him easily. Trailing us most of the way back on the test drive, probably curious to see what car this is. After he was gone, we went parallel to a BMW car, then totally smoked it just because ... I could :)

I currently have the BlackVue DR500GW-HD, but I have pledged for the CENTR on Kickstarter. It's a panoramic video camera. I'm thinking of mounting it in the center of the car: CENTR: Interactive Panoramic Video in the Palm of Your Hand by CENTR Camera Kickstarter
cf983e964b8bd5aa49448e2196cc9b45_large.jpg

I currently have the BlackVue DR500GW-HD, but I have pledged for the CENTR on Kickstarter. It's a panoramic video camera. I'm thinking of mounting it in the center of the car: CENTR: Interactive Panoramic Video in the Palm of Your Hand by CENTR Camera Kickstarter
View attachment 49509

Looks like a really cool idea. However, the battery will only record for 2 hours continuously (according to the FAQ). It also uses a custom circular battery, which will not be easy or cheap to replace. I think this may limit its practicality for a dashcam application.

I second the Mobius choice. They are in both of our family cars - reliable, tiny and simple. Pop out the SD card and play it on a Mac/Linux/Windows PC without issues.

Only slight problem was getting it in Hong Kong. The eBay store won't ship here. In the end, I emailed the seller - they were very helpful and shipped direct (2 days to HK).

One thing I liked about the Mobius is that it usus only ~500ma of power.

OK, so I looked it up. Mobius doesn't specify power consumption on their web page. The capacity of the battery is 500 mAh, maybe you saw that and thought it was the power consumption? mA is current consumption, while mAh is energy storage capacity (mA / mAh or A / Ah, same same, just m is 1/1000th of an A)

Rechargeable LIPO Battery (500mah), with Battery Charger Manage IC

Ampere isn't worth much for power use, unless you know the voltage. This is something I found while searching:

No battery, powered on, not recording: 225mA @ 4.97v (1.12 watts)
No battery, recording 1080p: 305mA @ 4.97v (1.51 watts)
Battery being charged from flat, powered off: 186mA @ 4.97v (0.92 watts)
Battery being charged from flat, recording 1080p: average 505mA @ 4.95v (2.5 watts)

See, these figures are for around 5V only, so it only uses just over 1 to 1.5 Watt when recording, 2.5 if you are charging AND recording.

This means that if you let your camera record continuously, theoretically, one installed camera would make the Tesla 12V battery go dead in about three weeks (if it's 60 Ah?). 4 cameras would mean only about 5 days. For continuous recording, even a 64GB card would quickly overwrite itself anyway.

I'm just saying this as some might want to have the camera record continuously, in case of vandalism or parking lot accidents while you are away from your car. If you are parked outside, a simple solar panel would keep the 12V battery topped up, but that's no good if you are in a garage. Obviously, if your car is plugged in, it's no issue either.

Mobius is interesting. I'm even considering to have 4 cameras front/rear/sides, just because a forward view isn't worth a whole lot if you are rammed from the side. Imagine a changing lanes accident, where someone (typically) changes lanes into your car, without bothering to turn the head but just use the mirrors (see that all the time in Hong Kong, so many near accidents for this reason).

I am not sure what to do about parking accidents though. Does Mobius support loop recording where it only saves the video after some impact (before AND after, i.e. 5 seconds before, 20 seconds after)? This way, the car could be parked for weeks, and only record that instant when someone rams or pushes the car.

That's at 5V

which are you looking for?

No wifi, you have to pull out the camera or the card.... easy.

records 4 hours on a loop on 32 GB card

HD, 1080p video, very clear.

You can get standard or wide angle lens.

Not sure about impact, but I got random videos from my recent service AFTER they umplugged the camera shot from camera battery power only.

I have mine powered with the car being on ONLY to limit power usage. It stays on for 5 minutes after I leave the car.

Last edited:
I'm just saying this as some might want to have the camera record continuously, in case of vandalism or parking lot accidents while you are away from your car. If you are parked outside, a simple solar panel would keep the 12V battery topped up, but that's no good if you are in a garage. Obviously, if your car is plugged in, it's no issue either.

Does Mobius support loop recording where it only saves the video after some impact (before AND after, i.e. 5 seconds before, 20 seconds after)? This way, the car could be parked for weeks, and only record that instant when someone rams or pushes the car.

No, Mobius is very basic - it doesn't have any motion detection. It does have loop recording. I wire mine to the switched 12V line so it shuts itself down when the car is off.

Side note: Actually, on the roadster it is pretty sweet. There are actually 3 +12V lines - (1) car on, (2) car off and sleeping, (3) car off but awake. The first only has power when ignition is on, the second has power always, and the third has power while the coolant pump is running (typically when charging, or for 5 minutes after ignition is turned off). All 3 of those 12V lines are available for tapping. My Parrot Asteroid head unit is actually wired to the permanent 12V line (2) and has a motion detector. If the Parrot detects motion, it wakes up for 1 minute to be ready for the ignition to come on so as to be able to startup quicker. If the ignition doesn't come on within a minute, the Parrot goes back to sleep. The side-effect is that when the Parrot detects motion, it powers up its USB ports - and that is where I have the Mobius wired. End result is that if the car is hit, the Parrot comes on and powers up the Mobius for a minute or two. The Mobius won't catch the collision, but it will record what happened just after.

No, Mobius is very basic - it doesn't have any motion detection. It does have loop recording. I wire mine to the switched 12V line so it shuts itself down when the car is off.

Side note: Actually, on the roadster it is pretty sweet. There are actually 3 +12V lines - (1) car on, (2) car off and sleeping, (3) car off but awake. The first only has power when ignition is on, the second has power always, and the third has power while the coolant pump is running (typically when charging, or for 5 minutes after ignition is turned off). All 3 of those 12V lines are available for tapping. My Parrot Asteroid head unit is actually wired to the permanent 12V line (2) and has a motion detector. If the Parrot detects motion, it wakes up for 1 minute to be ready for the ignition to come on so as to be able to startup quicker. If the ignition doesn't come on within a minute, the Parrot goes back to sleep. The side-effect is that when the Parrot detects motion, it powers up its USB ports - and that is where I have the Mobius wired. End result is that if the car is hit, the Parrot comes on and powers up the Mobius for a minute or two. The Mobius won't catch the collision, but it will record what happened just after.

I considered to get a smaller 6V non-spillable deep cycle battery (AGM or something), as there is plenty of baggage storage. Attach a solar panel inside the baggage compartment or maybe even under the aft/middle part of the sunroof, to keep it topped off, as well as connected to a 12V source only for when the car is on (or also when plugged in, even better, if possible), with a 12V to 6V one-way charging shunt. This way, it can run out of power completely, without affecting the cars own 12V battery. Worst case scenario would be weeks of parking inside a garage, and not plugged in, as there would be neither charger nor solar power, yet at least, it won't affect the car itself. A 5W solar panel should be sufficient to keep it going forever.

Imagine the car recording any time when on/driving, and also when being pushed/moved? That would be a really good protection, unless of course the cameras are stolen/damaged/overwritten.

Another option is to use the 12V onboard, with a solar panel, but that still won't keep the car from running out of power if parked inside and not plugged in.

I considered to get a smaller 6V non-spillable deep cycle battery (AGM or something), as there is plenty of baggage storage. Attach a solar panel inside the baggage compartment or maybe even under the aft/middle part of the sunroof, to keep it topped off, as well as connected to a 12V source only for when the car is on (or also when plugged in, even better, if possible), with a 12V to 6V one-way charging shunt. This way, it can run out of power completely, without affecting the cars own 12V battery. Worst case scenario would be weeks of parking inside a garage, and not plugged in, as there would be neither charger nor solar power, yet at least, it won't affect the car itself. A 5W solar panel should be sufficient to keep it going forever.

Imagine the car recording any time when on/driving, and also when being pushed/moved? That would be a really good protection, unless of course the cameras are stolen/damaged/overwritten.

Another option is to use the 12V onboard, with a solar panel, but that still won't keep the car from running out of power if parked inside and not plugged in.

Wouldn't it be easier to use a USB battery pack to power the Camera and plug the pack to the 12V battery for recharge?

Wouldn't it be easier to use a USB battery pack to power the Camera and plug the pack to the 12V battery for recharge?

Basically, that's what I wrote, except I want it to be automatic, work also when the car is parked, and have no impact on the 12V battery of the car itself. Whether it's a "USB battery" or 6V AGM, is not much difference, but it better be a deep cycle battery if there is any have it's going to be run down to a low charge.

Basically, that's what I wrote, except I want it to be automatic, work also when the car is parked, and have no impact on the 12V battery of the car itself. Whether it's a "USB battery" or 6V AGM, is not much difference, but it better be a deep cycle battery if there is any have it's going to be run down to a low charge.

Sorry, I overlooked. All I saw was Solar Panel:tongue: