Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Dash Cams For Your Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This
uploadfromtaptalk1404347524062.jpg
is what i got, and it cost about 300hkd at SSP.

Will we void the car warranty as it's connected to the car's electricity? Did anyone check if Tesla is willing to install for us?

In general, regarding warranty, I have been told that they could refuse to honour the warranty on parts of the car connected to / affected by the accessory. For example, if you plug into the OBDII port and that port burns, they could refuse to repair it under warranty, but they wouldn't refuse to honour warranty on your rear bumper (for example).

I am also told that Tesla won't install non-Tesla accessories or parts. But, such rules change over time and between service centres, so it might be worth checking.

It is a very nice camera. It has,

Good night vision as 1080p day
wide angle lens
GPS and G sensor
Motion Detection
Collision Detection (using G sensor) with auto power up and record using internal battery
you can press a button for a secure emergency recording file
microphone and single shot capability

It comes with a suction mount which is not my ideal solution, and a very long cigarette light plug/wire. I want to mount it some way using a stick on mount in a discrete place near the mirror with permanent power. I hate wires hanging down from the mirror, I want the installation to look good. I would really like it mounted within the mirror housing if i could find a shop who can do it.
Video quality is good. I am reluctant to play around with the wiring of my car without knowing what i am doing so i am looking for someone to do it for me.

I ordered 2 cameras similar to the one pictured above (Alipapa's post) and they have been superb.

Each was about $50 shipped form HK to US. On the Tesla I have it mounted just to the right of the transponder "zone" behind the rearview mirror and from the driver's seat it's completely out of sight. Wire goes along headliner and down behind door seal and under glove box to a double plug extension that continues to the 12v outlet. Not hardwired but not in the way of anything either and works completely automatically.

Sample (click and select full HD resolution):

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice, Newscutter!

What happened at the STOP sign at 7:28 hehe ...

when that camera is so cheap, might as well get one for each side and looking back, the front maybe even two cams to cover a wider area

I ordered 2 cameras similar to the one pictured above (Alipapa's post) and they have been superb.

Each was about $50 shipped form HK to US. On the Tesla I have it mounted just to the right of the transponder "zone" behind the rearview mirror and from the driver's seat it's completely out of sight. Wire goes along headliner and down behind door seal and under glove box to a double plug extension that continues to the 12v outlet. Not hardwired but not in the way of anything either and works completely automatically.

I looked around this thread, but could not find a link. Which camera did you buy?

What happened at the STOP sign at 7:28 hehe ...

Haven't you heard? The camera adds 5 pounds *OR* 5 mph.

- - - Updated - - -

I looked around this thread, but could not find a link. Which camera did you buy?

I have 2 but they are slightly different-- honestly, I see no significant difference between them. Note that they will record audio but I have the microphone off because of legalities where I live (PA is a 2-party consent state), YMMV.

Older camera is this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-HD-1080P-G1W-27-LCD-Car-DVR-Camera-Recorder-Gsensor-H264-Night-Vision-/310752336819

Newer camera is this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014Y-Vision-G1WH-2-7-LCD-Car-Dash-DVR-Camera-Recorder-G-sensor-Novatek-NT96650-/310830749213?pt=US_Rear_View_Monitors_Cams_Kits&hash=item485ef4d61d

There are some basic installation instructions there too-- but really, I'd get whatever is on sale at the time (which is what I did) as the difference between them is negligible. Main thing I did with the older one was paint the chrome lens surround black. Again, note also that the included cord is not long enough to do a clean install AND reach the Tesla's USB port-- you'll need an extension of some kind (I found one on Amazon for about $10 that has 3 outlets on the end).

There are other videos day/night on my YouTube page if you want other samples (all VERY exciting, NOT) but for $50, I think it can't be beat. Had the older one for about 6 months, no problems or issues.
[video]http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLX9waTQBfaIt0iWHJzsDbBiQ6o2s5Rin5[/video]

First of all -- I hope you'll excuse the HORRIFICALLY bad video and sketchy photos. It's almost comic. What can I say? I was busy all day and didn't get a chance to do this until about midnight and Serena will be back on the road early tomorrow with my wife so this was my only chance. (The song on the media screen is an inside joke-- she HATES it, so naturally I cued it up for her:biggrin:).

I will revisit this -- in daylight and HD video-- at a later date on my blog (link in signature). In the meantime, as requested:

As seen from outside-- though it is less obvious than it seems here because of the flash.
IMG_3444.JPG

As seen from driver's perspective (only mount is visible above mirror).
IMG_3446.JPG

As seen from passenger's perspective (I have the screen disabled to reduce annoyance factor). The "decorations" on my garage door are "stand in" prototypes for window mullions... another project for me to do this Summer).
IMG_3447.JPG

Gaffer tape looks horrible in this picture but I assure you it disappears in normal light. Tape is non-marring but very strong.
IMG_3448.JPG

Wire hidden in black margin of windshield then follows panel edge on A-pillar around to door seal.
IMG_3449.JPG

Wire is run behind the door seal (easily done) with just a little tape to keep it tight.
IMG_3450.JPG

Near bottom of this picture you can see wire running in panel gap in door opening (with more gaffer tape on top) that parallels with glove box door's lower seam.
IMG_3451.JPG

Okay -- this IS ugly (but temporary) as tape keeps wire from hanging down when glove box is used. When closed, this wire is completely hidden.
IMG_3452.JPG

Wire that comes with camera is too short to make the whole run-- and even with my extension, I had to cut a corner at the bottom of the main display. Wire just sits under floor mat for now.
IMG_3453.JPG

Wire reemerges underneath passenger seat where it plugs into my extension cord.
IMG_3454.JPG

And the extension cord then plugs into the 12 volt.
IMG_3456.JPG

As you can see the "clean" install falls apart when the wire crosses back across the lower edge of the dash. Luckily, mini-USB cords can be had in lots of lengths. I will be replacing the camera cord with a longer one (eBay/Amazon) that will allow me to keep it concealed in the door seal all the way around to just below the rear-most corner of the passenger's door. There it will run in the panel gap at the bottom of the door opening and immediately disappear under the seat just behind the passenger's hip-- completely hidden. It will then only be visible where it plugs into the 12 volt.
IMG_3458.JPG

And now-- my COMICALLY and RIDICULOUSLY useless video... but at least you'll see my dashing good looks (still uploading as I post this):

Last edited by a moderator: