Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Dashcam for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the BlackVue DR900S-2CH and it works very nicely. I'd have preferred to have a built-in dash cam, but my car only has AutoPilot v1, so this functionality isn't available.

I'm finding the BlackVue DR900 is very reliable - way more so than the previous model (DR700). As with most BlackVue dash cams, the video is heavily compressed, which can make it difficult to resolve fine details. I wish it were possible to have a higher-quality mode - the best-quality isn't good enough, in my humble opinion. On the other hand, one can record plenty of footage.

A quick note to others: I recently had cause to submit dash cam footage to the local police. They were unable to view the "raw" footage. It turns out that Microsoft Windows doesn't (currently) support the newer, "HEVC" (H.265) codec used by the BlackVue DR900S (and apparently they weren't allowed to use the official BlackVue software either!). Since I'm a Mac user, I don't have these problems - and I was able to convert from H.265 to H.264 using Apple's QuickTime Player software. The police were then able to use my footage.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: TeamC and P85_DA
Hi
Can you please let me know what is the best dashcam for Model S?
Also do I need professional installation or DIY?

I found this article extremely helpful: Ultimate 2019 Tesla Dashcam Guide | TeslaTap

I went the bargain route (at least to start with) and got the Viofo A119 V2 and hardwired to the intrusion detection connector behind the mic panel. The video quality is excellent at 1440p(as expected per multiple reviews). No comment on reliability as I've only had it for a week.

• Informative
Reactions: jlv1
I had both the 700 and 900 series Blackvue cameras fail on me. The 700 one failed slightly after warranty, and the 900 within warranty. I paid for the extended product protection on the 900, so that was a relief, though it only kicks in after manufacturer warranty expiration. I'm working with a very nice local distributor on the RMA. When they work, I like the cameras.

Thinkware are also rated to withstand very high heat. I have a pair working find in Texas heat for almost a year now. It's quite impressive considering how hot the cars get in summer.

Also, these have a sort of "sentry mode" where when the car is parked they start recording or taking pictures when motion (visual or physical bump in the car) is detected. Works well. I have the FA200 (front and rear).

I have the BlackVue DR900S-2CH and it works very nicely. I'd have preferred to have a built-in dash cam, but my car only has AutoPilot v1, so this functionality isn't available.

I'm finding the BlackVue DR900 is very reliable - way more so than the previous model (DR700). As with most BlackVue dash cams, the video is heavily compressed, which can make it difficult to resolve fine details. I wish it were possible to have a higher-quality mode - the best-quality isn't good enough, in my humble opinion. On the other hand, one can record plenty of footage.

A quick note to others: I recently had cause to submit dash cam footage to the local police. They were unable to view the "raw" footage. It turns out that Microsoft Windows doesn't (currently) support the newer, "HEVC" (H.265) codec used by the BlackVue DR900S (and apparently they weren't allowed to use the official BlackVue software either!). Since I'm a Mac user, I don't have these problems - and I was able to convert from H.265 to H.264 using Apple's QuickTime Player software. The police were then able to use my footage.
I love the footage the camera offers, and the ease of the app, but I've personally had to replace my 900 two times in the last 8 months. First was weeks in when a firmware update corrupted the camera, and the second time was a month ago when it just stopped powering on.

• Informative
Reactions: DCEV
Hi
Can you please let me know what is the best dashcam for Model S?
Also do I need professional installation or DIY?
interesting question !!!
A good dashcam is a good dashcam
A better dashcam is going to be better
and the best of today will be the best today, till the next one comes along

No matter the car you are using them in

I've seen folks with Teslas that have G1W and B1Ws [basic set] all the way to 4K Dual Channel Dashcams costing close to $1000

So just make your decision based on how much $ you want to spend and what features for you are must have's, nice to have, don't care about.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjlawyer
interesting question !!!
A good dashcam is a good dashcam
A better dashcam is going to be better
and the best of today will be the best today, till the next one comes along

No matter the car you are using them in

I've seen folks with Teslas that have G1W and B1Ws [basic set] all the way to 4K Dual Channel Dashcams costing close to $1000

So just make your decision based on how much $ you want to spend and what features for you are must have's, nice to have, don't care about.
Agreed. I was just trying to see what most of the Tesla owners in this forum use and recommend.
I believe some cameras integrate well with certain cars, irrespective of the price.

I'm finding the BlackVue DR900 is very reliable
I have this same dashcam and found that the unit eats SD cards due to the heat they generate; my unit gets nearly too hot to touch. I went through two BlackVue-branded 128 GB SD card in my first year. BlackVue's warrants them for only 6 months and their official policy is that they should be considered a consumable item, even though they charge $100 each. A BlackVue official distributor who advertised here on TMC (and through whom I bought mine) stopped handling BlackVue products due to the high failure rates and the cost of warranty claims. BlackVue was still directing me to this distributor for my claims, seemingly completely unaware that their regional distributor dropped them.

Mine failed again - Blackvue 900. First time was a few months ago, it just stopped turning on. Sent it in for RMA which took over a month, got it back. Worked for a few months, then the rear stopped working. I tried formatting/updating the firmware on the SD card then the front stopped working too. Same distributor as above. I'll 100% never buy Blackvue again.

• Informative
Reactions: Retrospected
No offense but all those cameras look like generic junk.

The IRO dashcam is the nicest one since it's actually made for the car, is easy to install, and looks OEM.
No offense but all those cameras look like generic junk.

The IRO dashcam is the nicest one since it's actually made for the car, is easy to install, and looks OEM.
Is there an authorized website to buy these cameras or just ebay?