Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Deal I have found for winter tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been a fan of Hakkapeliitta winter tires since I put them on my 2012 Volt. Ran them for 5 winters without a problem and loved them. Started looking for them in Toronto and found out that Kal Tire has a strangle hold on them. They want $290 per. When I lived in Guelph, I dealt with Dettmer tires quite a bit. Very knowledgeable (especially Mike at the Eramosa/Stevenson location). So I called them up and they ordered mine in (they will apparently be arriving tomorrow) and they will store them for me until I get them installed in November. $258 each for the R3's @ 235/45/18. Mike said there might be a rebate by then as well, but he currently only shows availability of 100 tires in this size. It is worth the drive to Guelph for me from Toronto (I can see old friends while I am there), but if you are near Guelph give them a call. I verified that they know how to jack a Tesla and they are sourcing TPMS for me. Now to find a nice set of winter rims!

Does anyone know the CAD$ for the 18" Aero wheels only from Telsa? I want to get the Aero's but not a fan of the Pirelli winter SottoZero. What would the order timeframe be for wheels to Canada?

I've got good news and bad news. I stopped by my local Service Center to ask that very question. The good news is, yes you can order rims separately. The bad news is they couldn't give me a price because there is a pending price increase and Tesla hasn't announced Canadian pricing yet. My gut is that Tesla rims will be very expensive compared to aftermarket.

I've got good news and bad news. I stopped by my local Service Center to ask that very question. The good news is, yes you can order rims separately. The bad news is they couldn't give me a price because there is a pending price increase and Tesla hasn't announced Canadian pricing yet. My gut is that Tesla rims will be very expensive compared to aftermarket.

I called Tesla Oakville service this morning and they quoted me $250 for each rim (no rubber). This is for M3 18" Aero. They don't have any in stock but he mentioned a shipment coming in a few weeks. He also mentioned they would NOT install the tire on the rim.

Thanks for the heads up. I just placed an order for the rims, still at $250/rim.

I called Tesla Oakville service this morning and they quoted me $250 for each rim (no rubber). This is for M3 18" Aero. They don't have any in stock but he mentioned a shipment coming in a few weeks. He also mentioned they would NOT install the tire on the rim.

In Calgary SC, they are charging $150 to mount the tires.

For those who may not be aware, Members in Good Standing of the Ontario Tesla Owners Club enjoy a Kal Tire discount, as well as promos and discounts from a number of other sponsors.

Details here.

I've been using H2's on a hybrid SUV for the past 6 winters and got them from Kal Tire. I have a cancelled M3 order. Will probably re-load in the fall if the feds introduce anything but otherwise in the spring and will join the club then. Keen to try out the H3's. Curious as to what the discount is if you could mention or PM me. Thanks.

Thanks for the heads up. I just placed an order for the rims, still at $250/rim.

In Calgary SC, they are charging $150 to mount the tires.
Hum... maybe I should order the rims already?? (waiting for Model 3 Dual) Can I even order if I dont have a VIN yet?

They Aero wheels are $200 USD each in the US so that lines up with the exchange rate at $250 CAD and you need TPMS as well at $280 USD for 4 of them. So the $2400 CAD is not that far off for what you get compared to US pricing.
My wife had Pirelli winter tires on her SUV (not the SottoZero ones however) and one of them delaminated last winter.... left a sour taste with Pirelli tires :(

• Helpful
Reactions: ajintor
I have been a fan of Hakkapeliitta winter tires since I put them on my 2012 Volt. Ran them for 5 winters without a problem and loved them. Started looking for them in Toronto and found out that Kal Tire has a strangle hold on them. They want $290 per. When I lived in Guelph, I dealt with Dettmer tires quite a bit. Very knowledgeable (especially Mike at the Eramosa/Stevenson location). So I called them up and they ordered mine in (they will apparently be arriving tomorrow) and they will store them for me until I get them installed in November. $258 each for the R3's @ 235/45/18. Mike said there might be a rebate by then as well, but he currently only shows availability of 100 tires in this size. It is worth the drive to Guelph for me from Toronto (I can see old friends while I am there), but if you are near Guelph give them a call. I verified that they know how to jack a Tesla and they are sourcing TPMS for me. Now to find a nice set of winter rims!

What was the overall cost and if they can really do Tesla?

I have ordered from Tesla at 2400 + taxes so wanted to check the difference

The Tesla's winter package is a decent deal if you're okay with the Pirellis.

My current set of rims + TPMS + hub ring is already ~700 CAD. Slip on the four R3's + taxes it'll be close to 2000 CAD total. Doing your own thing really saves about $100 per tire and requires a lot of research and mucking around.

Key specs of Rims and Tires.

Rims
1700+ load index / 18" x (7.5 to 8.5) / 5x114.3 bolt pattern / 64.1 hub diameter.

Tires
WT 98 + (using the R3 as an example from the Kal Tire website)

upload_2018-8-23_9-12-17.png

Also need to get the tires on the rims and balanced. So really only saving a couple hundred bucks. It would actually cost more if you get a nice looking set of rims that can handle the weight of the Model 3.

At the end of the day, it's looks of the rims that'll be the major difference.

Reactions: Viv ki Bijli

I haven't paid for them yet, but in the past their prices included install and balance. So figure $80 per for TPMS unless I can find them cheaper and $250 per for a decent winter rim so I am banking on around $2,360 plus tax. In my mind reasonable for much better tires or nicer rims. In the end it all depends on if you like the Tesla rims and how you feel about the winters they are providing with the winter package. I personally don't like either rim or tire.

Reactions: Viv ki Bijli