Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best DIY Clear PPF for the front of the Model 3. Please Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a black model 3 that got its first rock chip on the hood. I want to wrap the front hood and fenders with a clear wrap. What in your opinion is the best option for purchasing a DIY kit? Any links to where to purchase, installation tips would be greatly appreciated.

No, but I don't think the hood or front side finders would be an issue. The only part that might be an issue is the front bumper.
I would get a self install kit from Xpel ULTIMATE PLUS Custom Length, I wouldn't get the pre-cut kits get more than you need and make the cuts after you wrap around the edge. The hood shouldn't be hard but the fenders might give you some trouble, due to the curves. You will need a good heat gun and a better squirt bottle, watch lots of youtube how to wrap videos and give yourself plenty of time. Do all of the prep work before hand do not skip any steps.

edit: If you do it make sure you post pics of us.

I would get a self install kit from Xpel ULTIMATE PLUS Custom Length, I wouldn't get the pre-cut kits get more than you need and make the cuts after you wrap around the edge. The hood shouldn't be hard but the fenders might give you some trouble, due to the curves. You will need a good heat gun and a better squirt bottle, watch lots of youtube how to wrap videos and give yourself plenty of time. Do all of the prep work before hand do not skip any steps.

How is he supposed to post pictures of you? ;)

Link not working .

The hood itself isn't that difficult as it's fairly flat. If you want to wrap the hood, a full wrap requires a 48"x60" bulk piece and a partial wrap that goes up halfway requires a 24"x48" piece.

I highly advise against using a heat gun. You can easily heat the film up too much and melt the glue. It happened to me when I got frustrated with the bumper and used a heat gun.

the heat gun should only be used for sealing the edges, which my installer doesn't use anyway as the material still needs to breathe/let out the moisture from the install.

i've posted this before but the bumper is the biggest PITA you will face during the whole install.

my advice: hold someone else accountable. if you mess this up, guess who has to do it again? or buy another kit?

Reactions: borijess3
This guy: I want to DIY some PPF

Also this guy: Do you need to use a heat gun!?

You probably shouldn't be doing this yourself...just saying...

Every high school dropout that goes into the clear bra install business had a first time too.

Sure those MIT grads that work in the bays of tint shops want you to believe it's impossible for any lessor humans to learn how to do clear bra on their own, but it's just an arts and crafts project with a lot of how-to's on YouTube giving away the tricks of the trade. And it's not that hard to buy some bulk film and practice. Just peal it off and try again until you learn the techniques. Once you learn, you'll never have to pay the ransom for future cars.

Every high school dropout that goes into the clear bra install business had a first time too.

Sure those MIT grads that work in the bays of tint shops want you to believe it's impossible for any lessor humans to learn how to do clear bra on their own, but it's just an arts and crafts project with a lot of how-to's on YouTube giving away the tricks of the trade. And it's not that hard to buy some bulk film and practice. Just peal it off and try again until you learn the techniques. Once you learn, you'll never have to pay the ransom for future cars.

Like the old saying goes .

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feedhim for a lifetime.

Reactions: play150 and TLLMRRJ
I don't have any pics I took of it after finishing I'm afraid, nor am I keen on opening my workmanship to other's comments. ;) I'm fine with it, which is what matters. The job you get is the job you do. :)

Before applying the film, I made sure the paint was spotlessly clean, then polished and buffed the section I'd be working on. That's about it...

Ian

I don't have any pics I took of it after finishing I'm afraid, nor am I keen on opening my workmanship to other's comments. ;) I'm fine with it, which is what matters. The job you get is the job you do. :)

Before applying the film, I made sure the paint was spotlessly clean, then polished and buffed the section I'd be working on. That's about it...

Ian
What color car?